“Top notch hotel & location”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Top notch hotel & location”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We spent 7 nights here. Great location..definately upgrade to a liberty view. Staff were extremely attentive and helpful from the monent we arrived to when we departed...could not fault this hotel at all. Well done to all staff!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

On our first trip to New York, staying at the Ritz Carlton, Battery Park proved to be a great decision!
From the moment we arrived (by a crazy taxi driver from JFK), the staff were exceptional. Not once during our stay were we not smiled at or greeted with warmth and friendliness.
Our room was upgraded upon check in without hesitation. We stayed on the 7th floor with a Liberty view, king bed and we were thrilled with not only the view from the telescope provided, but with the spaciousness of the room. The bathroom was modern, spotless, filled with amenities and extremely spacious itself! (The plush terry-cloth robes provided for use while being a guest were fantastic!)
We stayed for three nights and the small touches were extremely appreciated (turn down service, extra towels, robes, etc.)
We cannot say enough about the concierge services. From restaurant reservations (made prior to our arrival) to securing us 4th row Yankees tickets to helpful directions and suggestions on 'must sees' to tips for purchases on 'Canal Street', they were simply outstanding.
As for proximity to everything...a definite yes! It's New York...so transportation is only a wave away! We mainly walked to everything possible (911 Memorial, Wall Street, Ferry to Statue of Liberty, Hop-on Hop-off bus tours) and then hailed taxis or jumped on the subway (Yankee Stadium). The hotel is directly across from the harbor front, so we took advantage of the warm summer nights and had romantic walks around the walking paths. (Felt as safe as walking at home.)
There were a few issues...the first was no pool...the second was wifi...we had to pay for it, however once we signed up to the 'club' they credited us back the fee upon check-out (the negative issue was that we did not receive wifi on the last day)...the third was no mini-bars (no fridge to put anything in)...and the last issue was that the elevators had broken on our last day (other guests even had to be 'rescued' as they stopped working between floors - but who is going to complain when you are rescued by the NYFD?)...unfortunately, we did have to walk up 7 flights, but when we were ready to check-out, luckily for us we didn't have to wait too long for the one elevator car that was running!
Check-out was at 12pm and our flight wasn't until 5pm, so the front desk was gracious to 'check' our bags until we were able to leave allowing us to enjoy more of the city until our departure!
This hotel is definitely on my most favorite list and we will definitely become regular guests and can't wait until our next adventure to this great city and amazing hotel!

Room Tip: Try and ask for an available upgrade to a room with a Liberty View!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathi B
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Be very careful when you make your reservation. They don't note your preferences. I planned a trip of a lifetime to this hotel, wanting to gaze at the Statue of Liberty as my mother saw it when she came to this country 75 years ago. I have the very highest status with Marriott, ((Platinum Premier) and this is one of their properties. Three times we called to ensure that my room would have a straight on view of the Statue of Liberty and be the best room in the hotel on a high floor. I paid with hard earned Marriott points for two nights. We also explained I would be a late arrival. I arrived only to be assigned to a room where I could only see the Statue of Liberty if I stood in one corner of the room. So they offered another room down on the fourth floor where the view was the same -- you saw nothing except when standing in the very corner of the room. They said there were no notes about the the view! At midnight, this 69 year old female traveler got back in a cab and went to find another hotel in New York City without a reservation. I would never go back to this Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: Please see above. Even with top ranking with Marriott and three phone calls directly to the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Karen M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and the overall experience was decent. We had a standard "liberty view" room which was spacious, way more so than most NY hotels, and the view was fantastic. Sweeping views over the harbour with a great view of the statue and New Jersey. The surprising and disappointing thing was that we had to pay for in room internet, despite the huge price tag for the room, so we didn't bother. Also, there are no mini bars in the rooms. This is staggering for a 5* hotel in NYC. Still a decent hotel in a great location.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon P
NoVA
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

To caveat this review, my Marriott membership got us an upgrade to a room with a view to the Statue of Liberty (which I could see while lying in bed!), so that, of course, ups this glowing review.

The hotel is right at the most southern end of the island, so there are no obstructions to viewing across the river and harbor. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable and full of all necessary amenities. But the unique touch was having a telescope with which to get close views of everything in the harbor, especially the Statue, which I have been fascinated with since I was a child. I did not interact with the staff much...most were friendly, though I found one of the morning reception desk staffers to be argumentative when I was in the right to a disputed charge on our bill. But even that could not have ruined our wonderful stay.

The largest draw-back to this hotel is the "spa", if you call it that. Yes, they have a decent menu if services, but did I see only two rooms to provide the services? I guess there isn't much demand. But I did have a massage, and it was great...the robe not as plush as the one in the room, though (over-washed). The gym has just about everything you need.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank numberonueve
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at this Ritz Carlton for one night. We had stayed at the other Ritz property in New York the day before because of its proximity to shopping, Central park and the theatre. Our only wish was that we had stayed 2 nights at the property at Battery Park.

We booked through American Express Platinum travel which offers an amazing deal which includes late checkout and a possible room up-grade. We were upgraded to a suite with the most amazing views of Statue of Liberty and Hudson River. The room was immaculate and had all the essentials that you would need in the room for a comfortable stay.

The service was incredible with special nods to Lee, Max, Nino. I broke my i-phone charger and Nino offered to go to radio shack to obtain a replacement ! Fortunately, the hotel had chargers for purchase on site.
We also used the club level facilities and were impressed by the scope of food choices as well as the bar. Max was exceptional and should be commended for his service.

Even though the location is not mid-town, it only took us 20 minutes to go from Central Park to this property which was well worth it.

This will be our hotel of choice when visiting New York!

Room Tip: Corner suites have amazing views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank catherine W
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I checked into the RC Battery Park with my entire family. We booked through Amex platinum travel, which was a very good deal to begin with. We arrived at the hotel around midnight and my young kids were a bit out of sorts after a long cross county. Alexis who was working at reception immediately made us feel at home for our 7 night stay. She upgraded us to a different one bedroom suite that had panoramic views of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan (this suite is in the 17 block, e.g., room 817, 917, etc). Our package also included breakfast for my wife and I but she saw to it that we could get access to the club level. Incredible!! Given the late hour and the room switch, the bell staff made sure to reposition the crib we requested in our new room quickly so the baby could go to sleep. And they were incredibly thoughtful about asking whether we needed a mini fridge for her bottles.
Next few mornings, I had arranged business breakfasts in the main dining room. Seth Pearlman, the Maître d, greeted each visit with a smile and warm welcome. His attention to detail and endearing nature will guarantee he will go far in life. The rest of the staff, from the maids who helped pick up after three little ones to the uber friendly team on the 11th floor, were of the same caliber.
In summary, this place is operating at a world class level. Had it not been for an early flight home this am, I would have gone to see the GM and commend him for such excellent execution. I have stayed at a dozen RCs around the world from Tokyo to New Orleans to Naples to Maui....etc...etc. All are great properties but this one really has it figured out.

See you again soon.