“Home Away From Home on the Club Level”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #89 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We love staying here during the summer - we enjoy sight seeing and water activities / jogging along Battery Park. Easy subway ride to museum mile and central park. Spend extra for Statue of Liberty view and access to the club level. Well worth it. Views are "one of a kind" spectacular. Staff is exceptional. Most have been there since the hotel opened in 2002. Ground level restuarant OK - wish they would re-open spectacular restuarant on 14th floor overlooking Statue of Liberty. Fitness center good - but wish there was jacuzzi / steam room in Spa locker rooms. We will definately come back.

Room Tip: Ask for Statue of Liberty view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I really, really enjoyed my 3-night stay here. Perhaps that's because 2 weeks prior, I stayed in an equally expensive yet far less comfortable place. Perhaps, everyone who works here is very friendly and approachable, even when I showed up schvitzing after hauling luggage from the subway stop on a hot rainy day.

The beds and pillows were darned comfortable, and there was hardly any noise from outside or from our neighbors. The bathroom was the size of a NYC studio, and the water pressure was excellent. I loved the abundance of towels and toiletries, refilled every day.

I wish there were mini-refrigerators and coffee-makers or tea kettles in the room. I do enjoy keeping a cold beverage or two and steeping my own tea. I would gladly order room service - shell out $10 and wait 20 minutes for a pot of tea - but they were consistently out of oolong and green tea, so I had to get my beverages outside, which isn't convenient when I'm exhausted from lack of sleep or a long day at work and too tired to find what I want.

The rooms are $500/night (cheap for NY, I know) and wifi is $12.95/day. Really though? This is why I'm spending the evening at Starbucks rather than in my cushy pillow-covered bed? Because you are out of green tea and don't offer free wifi? Jeez. I won't hold it against you, I'll just dock you a star.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here one night in July, 2014 for business. I love the location because it's in FiDi which is an area most don't spend a lot of time in when visiting NYC, so it was good for a different perspective. If you can get a room looking out onto the water, definitely do so -- they even give you a telescope in your room!

The room itself is very well appointed, clean and quiet. I slept very soundly. No complaints there whatsoever.

I recommend exploring the area for dinner. There are some great bars and restaurants, although you aren't getting the same selection as Midtown or elsewhere. You just have to be a little more adventurous.

I had breakfast the next day in the hotel -- only because it was a business expense. Just your typical $20 omelette. What made it particularly galling was that the kitchen messed up both of our omelettes. They didn't switch them up -- they got both orders wrong by an order of 2 ingredients each. Very difficult to do, but then the RC isn't known for going halfway on things. At a normal restaurant, you'd get a free side or maybe comp one of the diners. Nope. At the RC you wait 10 more minutes and pay full freight. Anyway, another reason to avoid hotel dining.

That aside, it was a good stay and lived up to the RC standards that I've seen throughout hte years.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view -- you may even see the Statue of Liberty.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family arrived on Friday for a couple of nights & we had a issue due to the type of room that was indicated on the reservation, I made thru AMEX Travel .
The Ritz staff including Jonathan the Manager and Ms. YooYoung at the front desk were extremely helpful in the process in getting the problem resolved.
Our room was great and the service from the Bell Stand, to Dwayne at the front door getting us cabs made it a very logistic free visit.

Service in the dining establishment for both breakfast & lunch was very attentive. The Ritz Carlton continues to be a best in class hotel.

Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here with family (including small baby) in April 2014. Experience was terrible for 4 reasons: 1. First night, the room they gave us had no mini bar of fridge (though we specified we are traveling with a baby). 2. One of the two mattresses was broken. 3. A bell hop barged into our room in the middle of the night, caught by the safety latch on the door and woke everyone up - even though we were in the middle of our stay. 4. Breakfast was so expensive and so awful - orange juice out of the bottle and eggs, bacon soggy (we only went to breakfast once and then thought - no thanks!)

The hotel moved us to another floor but after multiple mentions of having a manager speak to us regarding these 3 issues and how inconvenienced we were, no one spoke to us. I even left negative feedback on the Ritz-Carlton website asking someone to call us, no one did. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL - a terrible value, too much hassle and ritz carlton surface hospitality only - no genuine care of guests experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank K H
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your feedback and I wish to apologize for the service issues you experienced at our property last April. While this is certainly not the impression we want you to have of our hotel, I wanted to take a moment to mention that we have just completed an upgrade of all our beds in our Hotel. I agree that we should have been more attentive to the fact that you were traveling with a young child, and inquire at check-in if a refrigerator was needed, as these are available upon request. I will also be addressing the other incidents you mentioned with my team in order to prevent these occurrences from happening again. We sincerely hope you will reconsider your decision and stay with us again, as I can assure you this is not the level of service The Ritz-Carlton is known for. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to assist you with your future reservations. On behalf of all the Ladies and Gentlemen at our hotel, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Greg Mendoza

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Check-in was nice, like usual. We have been to this property before all though we received no comment about it. While I understand a valet wouldn't remember, you'd think the computers that the FD agents use would say if a guest has stayed at a particular property before or not.

The valet and bell men who unloaded our luggage did it quickly and nicely and just like that, we were up to our room, which didn't have club lounge access. Our rate was for a club lounge upgrade on check-in. While we didn't receive that, we did get a $100 credit, which is nice, unless your dinner (which you could have gotten from the Club lounge) cost us over $150. For NYC, the room was nicely sized. We got a dinner and received it quickly. It was great! The pizza and salmon were delicious all though the in room dining agent we spoke to seemed eager to get me off the phone.

Our sleep was nice. The following day, we got our luggage ready to go. At other hotels, the bell man came up to the room a mere minutes after the call, while it took at least 10 minutes at this hotel for him to come up. However, we weren't in a rush and he was charismatic so we let it slide. The only other complaint I had was that we were Gold Elite and they still made us pay for Wifi, which wasn't right.

This property isn't really the best fit for families. We knew this coming in. I'd stay at this hotel if you're on a budget and/or on a business trip.

Room Tip: Club Lounge, if it's open. Also get a Liberty view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location of this hotel at the foot of Manhattan gives it great access to the whole island either via taxi or subway. Close to downtown attractions and business centers with great views of the harbor and Hudson River waterfront. The staff service was impeccable. I wish we could have stayed more than a single night but will be looking to come back for our next Manhattan foray.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple