“A very average experience”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A very average experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Sadly, there was nothing exceptional about our stay at this hotel. In fact, there were several disappointments that simply do not measure up to what is expected of a Ritz.Carlton property. 1) We were given a room with a shared door to an adjoining room and therefore could hear every word of conversation and ring of the telephone next door, which woke us up several times through out the night. 2) no mini-bar or refrigerator. What hotel does not have an in room refrigerator these days? Very disappointing. 3) The towels were old and thin with frayed edges. Not the level of quality one expects from a Ritz-Carlton. 4) Truly nothing exceptional about our stay. We could have had a better quality stay at a cheaper hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not share a door with the adjacent room or you will hear everything.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DCTravelerLA
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. This is certainly not the impression we want you to have of our property. I would like to take a moment to address the concerns you highlighted. While our rooms do not feature mini bars, we can arrange to have a refrigerator placed in your room upon request and a selection of snacks are available in our Gift Shop. Regarding the condition of the towels, this is unacceptable and on behalf of our Housekeeping Department please accept our most sincere apologies. Lastly, you were indeed checked into a room that has a connecting double room; however this can be prevented in the future, as I would be delighted to note this preference in your guest profile so that this does not reoccur. Please feel free to contact me directly should you return to our hotel again in the future. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Greg Mendoza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have stayed here twice, most recently, two weeks ago. We have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels for both business and pleasure. The location is beautiful and convenient, right across from the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty and walking distance to the World Trade Center. Battery Park is such a lovely area of NY, more quiet and with a great walking path along the water with nice restaurants. The hotel itself is nice, and the rooms we had both times were lovely with a nice view of the Statue of Liberty. Very clean, well appointed and spacious. We had the Club level this time which was nice, but offered the exact same food choices every day. The staff at the Club were very attentive and friendly. Can't say the same for the rest of the hotel staff. At check-in, the front desk attendant was so rushed with is that our key didn't work at the Club lounge and we had to return down to the front desk to have it re-programmed. The gentleman also asked his supervisor if he could "leave now" while checking us in. We asked if there were any room upgrades available as we are Platinum Elite Members with Ritz Carlton, and were told "no" without any hesitation, without even looking at the computer, without any effort whatsoever. When we were checking out, the Valet told us to go back in to the desk in order to retrieve our car. After that, it took a long time to get our car as the Valet was busy chatting in a foreign language to a man that walked up and went to sit with cab drivers on the edge of the hotel property. The restaurant was also disappointing, although the wait staff was very nice and accommodating. The food was not good; the Shrimp Carbonara tasted so heavily of bacon that I didn't eat it, and my husband's pork chops were dry and overcooked. We were very surprised as we have never had a bad meal at a Ritz Carlton restaurant before.
Overall, it's a very nice hotel, but sadly, does not have the level of service and friendliness that we are used to when staying at a Ritz Carlton hotel. Maybe we're spoiled! I know it's New York, but this hotel really needs to brush up on its service!

Room Tip: Get the Club Lounge level; it's well worth the extra money as there are not many restaurants clo...
3 Thank Radius65
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel was very nice but certain amenities were missing. No towel bars to hang up wet towels, no plastic laundry bag(s) for dirty clothes (can get by calling front desk), no vending machines only room service, and no in-room refrigerator. A soda from room service was $6 and a decent breakfast in 2West (the only restaurant in the hotel) could easily set you back $40 or more. The location was great as well as the view from the Statue of Liberty view room. Staff was exceptionally nice. Subway access is close by as well as Starbucks and two very good Italian restaurants. Bed comfort was also very good.

New York
Reviewed 31 July 2014

As stated by another reviewer: “It is good, but it is not Ritz Carlton excellent.” It seamed more like a nice Marriott. The hotel is in a great location of lower Manhattan. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance.

Check in was OK, but not up to Ritz standards. When I checked in, I asked for an upgraded room or water view (due to Marriott status) but was told nothing else is available. 5 minutes later when I was in the room I checked on the website and they had the upgraded views available.

The room was smaller than I expected, but the bathroom was very nice. The elevators were exceptionally slow.

Overall I nice stay if you can get a discounted rate.

Room Tip: Water view of Statute of Liberty, High floor
1 Thank HowTraveler
Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We visited the hotel with the family between christmas and NY. The quality of the hotel is good. The location is on the southern part of Manhatten. It is close to the financial district and the Metro to the rest of the island is within minutes from the Hotel. Good place to sleep when you visit NYC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gelukrb
Portland, Maine, USA
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We love staying here during the summer - we enjoy sight seeing and water activities / jogging along Battery Park. Easy subway ride to museum mile and central park. Spend extra for Statue of Liberty view and access to the club level. Well worth it. Views are "one of a kind" spectacular. Staff is exceptional. Most have been there since the hotel opened in 2002. Ground level restuarant OK - wish they would re-open spectacular restuarant on 14th floor overlooking Statue of Liberty. Fitness center good - but wish there was jacuzzi / steam room in Spa locker rooms. We will definately come back.

Room Tip: Ask for Statue of Liberty view
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I really, really enjoyed my 3-night stay here. Perhaps that's because 2 weeks prior, I stayed in an equally expensive yet far less comfortable place. Perhaps, everyone who works here is very friendly and approachable, even when I showed up schvitzing after hauling luggage from the subway stop on a hot rainy day.

The beds and pillows were darned comfortable, and there was hardly any noise from outside or from our neighbors. The bathroom was the size of a NYC studio, and the water pressure was excellent. I loved the abundance of towels and toiletries, refilled every day.

I wish there were mini-refrigerators and coffee-makers or tea kettles in the room. I do enjoy keeping a cold beverage or two and steeping my own tea. I would gladly order room service - shell out $10 and wait 20 minutes for a pot of tea - but they were consistently out of oolong and green tea, so I had to get my beverages outside, which isn't convenient when I'm exhausted from lack of sleep or a long day at work and too tired to find what I want.

The rooms are $500/night (cheap for NY, I know) and wifi is $12.95/day. Really though? This is why I'm spending the evening at Starbucks rather than in my cushy pillow-covered bed? Because you are out of green tea and don't offer free wifi? Jeez. I won't hold it against you, I'll just dock you a star.

Stayed June 2014