“great location. costly though”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #99 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 April 2009

The Ritz Carlton Battery Park New York is expensive. And although a great, and quiet location, for New York I am not sure if it is worth it. It just did not feel as up-market as it should for the price. But then I think overall one is paying for the location, the less frantic New York experience and the stunning views.

With an average cost of around $450 (before taxes which add another $60 on the cost), you expect a hotel to reek of style and general sophistication and specialness. The Ritz Carlton does not have that feel, and it is hard to work out why as it should.

On the positive side:

· It is in a great location right down at Battery Park, near to where the boats go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. This mean that it is very quiet, and you can almost forget that you are in New York. I am so used to being uptown where it is busy, noisy and rushed. Here it is calmer and the rooms are quiet.
· The décor is very stylish. It is very nicely done and been refurbished even though only being open about 7 years. There are nice touches with beautiful wallpaper, trendy lamps and the such.
· The rooms, for New York especially, are large. They are a great size in fact. The bed is huge and very, very comfortable. The
· You can get rooms with stunning views across to the Statute of Liberty, though they do cost a premium. We did not have a room with a view and looked onto the residences building. But as we were on the Club level, we did get access to the Club Lounge which has beautiful views across the river. The lounge was being renovated while we were here and so instead of being on the 11th floor was on the 8th. Also it has the quietest air-conditioning I have ever come across. This for me is a huge plus as I hate noise and so often have to sleep with the air-con off and here it is so quiet you can leave it on.
· The staff are all very efficient and helpful
· The fitness center on the 14th floor is a good size, with a good range of modern equipment.

I liked staying here, but it is hard to see it is a good value. But great for a treat! The only one issue was that we both got itchy skin while there and that went after we left, so not sure if that was something like bed bugs and we have contacted the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bembridge
Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)

Reviewed 20 April 2009

Spent Easter weekend at this Property with a large family group including 5 young children. We all enjoyed the location of the Hotel and found it easy to get around, using cabs and the Subway. We opted for an older-style suite (the Hotel is refurbishing the rooms from the lower floors up) on the 12th floor with magnificent views of the Harbor and city. Some family members stayed in the just-refurbished rooms which are quite modern in style. Marble bathrooms throughout seemed unchanged and are spacious and luxurious.
The Hotel is very comfortable and the staff friendly to our children, which we appreciated. I didn't give the highest rating because I thought the Staff, though always willing to assist when sought out, did not offer the very personalized service that I consider a hallmark of a true luxury property. The Guest Reception Team did resolve a room issue at check-in with pleasant efficiency. We chose a Club Suite and the Hotel was in the process of renovating its Club Lounge. The interim Lounge is adequate but I did not see a Club Concierge present, as I have noted at other Ritz Carlton properties. There was no information provided to us regarding the times of the food presentations in the Lounge, which was initially inconvenient. We were not located on the same floor as the Club Lounge, which was fine since we probably received a better view from our room. Offerings in the Lounge were average. I thought the Club Lounge at the property in Washington DC was far superior.
We had an excellent dinner at the 2 West Restaurant.
Room service was prompt but the food quality just satisfactory.
I have to say that I found Housekeeping excellent in this Hotel. Our Suite was always well cleaned and serviced at the most convenient hours.
All in all, a good stay and a decent value for NYC. I would definitely return and recommend this Hotel to families.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed for one night for a weekend getaway in March. We booked a club room. The room was good with a fantastic view over the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There was no telescope in our room though. The club lounge had wonderful food and we spent some of our evening there sipping champagne and relaxing. The subway is close by in battery park, which will take you uptown if you need to go. We wanted a more relaxing visit so staying around battery park was perfect for us. The lobby is not as impressive as some of the other Ritz Carltons I have stayed in. Also I got a charge on my card after I checked out for items I did not use in my room, but this was promptly refunded when I called the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lwilliams75
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband booked a week's stay in The Ritz Carlton for my 40th Birthday, we had previously been to New York for our Honeymoon and fell in love with the city. We returned this year with our 5 year old, Daniel, who now loves it too!
The hotel was lovely with the staff the same, who always met us with a friendly smile and greeting.
We would highly recommend the Zaytuna Deli which is just a few blocks away from the Hotel, wonderful for breakfast (my husband loved the apple fritter) and a late night pizza if you are peckish after a hard day sightseeing or shopping.
I would love to return to do some Christmas Shopping in December, here's hoping!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I was in Ritz Carlton Batery Park with my family for New Year's 2008-2009. The hotel was enjoyable, although not what you would expect from a Ritz. The lobby was OK, altough rather small, but the rooms were very good, the beds were the best, so comfortable! The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was very large and nice.
I expected the staff to be friendlier honestly, but I can't say they were rude either. The hotel is definetly not close to city centre, but it's close to the finantial district and there is an access to the subway system very close. It's a quiet neighbourhood and you can walk at night with not much to worry about. For new year's it was great because we didn't want to go to times square, so we went to watch the fireworks over the river.
Overall it was a good stay, no regrets.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DalilahLisbon
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I never thought one could feel out of the way in NYC, but that is exactly what the location of this hotel feels like. It is a 20 minute 20 dollar cab to midtown. Short walk to the Staten Island ferry and financial district/wtc but beyond that there are very few dining options or bars within walking distance. If you want to feel isolated while in Manhattan, this is the place. I love the feel of the city so this property was too remote for my tastes.

Hotel itself was very nice if not a fairly standard issue Ritz. Check in seamless and handled very well despite our arrival before noon. Suite upgrade offered but I needed two beds so we got a club level upgrade instead. Room was typical Ritz nothing more, nothing less. Carpet either a weird color or soiled. Not sure which. Due to the club level upgrade we had city view so no telescope/statute of liberty view.

Coffee shop for breakfast ok. Tried to go to the view lounge and it was closed on a Friday evening for a private party. So much for saving access for hotel guests. Doormen were very helpful and professional as was housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Stayed for one night in March on business. Had a room with a view out over the water on the top floor, so it was quiet--also no hall noise, which is very good. Room itself is on the smallish size (not unusual for this chain), bathroom had just one sink, but separate tub and shower. Wall paper was a little old--overall decor was O.K. but not exceptional. Service was great, although I didn't use much of it. Restaurant closes reasonably early, although they do have 24 hour room service.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business