“It was great! I will always stay here while in NYC.”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #74 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Danville, California
“It was great! I will always stay here while in NYC.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

This was my first trip to NYC. A friend of mine was working in NJ and she invited me out when she found out I had never been to the east coast. (other than FL for one night) So my husband said go have fun. He didn't want me to pass up a shot of living my dream of going to NY. I am 37 years old by the way with two small children. I had the time of my life, and the Ritz Battery Park greatly contributed to my strong feelings for such a great experience.

My friend sent a car for me (a service her company usually uses...A1) that picked me up at the United terminal. I felt so special. The liason introduced himself to me. He could tell I was a little preoccupied because I had some unfinished business with United Airlines to deal with. He said he would take my bag out to the car and I could go upstairs and deal with my concern. He was very patient. I wasn't gone long. When I was finished I came back out and found a very nice Cadillac waiting for me. The liason introduced me to my driver. He was so nice and gave me so many recommendations on where to eat and go while in NY. He kind of reminded me of Joe Pesci and I was just loving New York already.

When I arrived at the hotel a valet /doorman named John took my bags and told me where to check in. These guys are good and they are outside the entire time even in bitter cold. The weather wasn't too bad when I was there. I traveled a week or so after the harsh snow that blanketed the east coast. But still these guys are great and deserve the best. They looked after us two ladies traveling without our hubbies.

So I checked in and they were a little standoffish at first but first impressions can be wrong. I may have been a little standoffish myself. He said to me, "you look like a New Yorker." I said I had never been to New York before and just by him saying that to me was a huge compliment. I can hold my own. He was very nice so thank you..

So I tipped my good buddy John and headed up to the room with the bellman. It was a corner room absolutely huge! My friend was already in the room and she was so excited too. Even though she travels to New York a lot for business she was very impressed as well. We are both used to 5 star hotels and we loved our hotel and room. We had two huge double beds, a nice corner view of the city and a very luxe bathroom with the best shower ever! I wish I had that at home. The beds were amazing and we both slept hard every night.

We had a drink in the bar after I cleaned myself up a bit. Great service, good wines and some pretty good peanuts and cashews that I couldn't keep eating. We then went to Nobu for dinner. Amazing. Laurie Tipton at the Concierge got us in there and I really believe there would be no way we could have dined there if the Ritz hadn't called for us.
Thanks again Laurie. We had the tasting menu at $150 each. Yes very pricey but it was my first night ever in NY and we had to try it. It was very indulgent but worth every penny. Coupled with a good bottle of wine we were extremely happy.

We did some shopping in Soho and Bloomingdale's on Lexington during the next day and then had lunch to return to our nice quiet hotel for a spa appointment. We had a nice time but I was expecting more in terms of a relaxation room, spa, steam room or sauna to enjoy. Unfortunately they have none of the above items which definitely takes away from the whole experience. And the prices are still what you would pay for all of the bells and whistles I mentioned above. Very expensive for what we got. I would look to another spa if you wish for a complete spa experience.

That night Laurie (the concierge) made a reservation for us at Valbella in the meat packing district. Her recommendation to us was spot on. From the host to our waiter we couldn't have been happier. We had the best meal...scallops for an appetizer, and we split the gnocci and the steak. The split them for us complimentary and even with the split it was so much food. We could not eat everything.

Next day we did more shopping and sightseeing. We went to a great restaurant for lunch on 61st and Madison called Serafina. Amazing. We were in the most ritzy area of New York arguably of course. Right up by Park and 5th. Highly recommend for a more casual yet chic option. We dined with a lot of very stylish and obviously wealthy New Yorkers who had their families with them. Although one couple with their very young daughter were not so discreet. They were arguing very loudly with one another while we had to listen to them. Some people even though they act like they have manners have no clue.
We then made our way to the theatre district and Times Square to see Wicked. I had never seen it before and to see it on Broadway it was such a treat.
After the show we went to the Marriott Marquis on the 8th floor for a drink and to view the madness of Times Square. I am glad I got to experience that but from 8 floors above. I would never up at Times Square though. Much too noisy and crazy and kind of seedy. We then had a nice dinner at Del Frisco's because we hadn't planned a more formal dinner with a reservation. We ate at the bar and we truly had a great dinner.

We couldn't wait to get back to the Ritz however. It was just so nice and quiet. Granted we didn't use the subway and had to fork out a lot of money for taxicabs but it was very convenient. The next morning when we had to make our way back to the airport, John the doorman got us a good deal for a towncar. He knew the guy and was looking out for us. Thanks again John. I hope I can come back again and again with my husband and/or kids.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

the place was fair and very clean the service was good and friendly

Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

after reading the reviews I was excited about staying here. it was way overrated. very quiet and clean, but staff was rude. no coffee makers. nothing special. the beds were awesome. one night we woke up to loud banging but the other two nights very quiet.

it was a average hotel. i did not like the staff because they were way overrated. they were below average.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

I trravelled to NY as part of a 3 location Holiday (Boston & Washington) to celebrate my 50th birthday. The Ritz Carlton has got to be one of the best Hotels I have stayed in and I travel a lot. The Art Deco inspired public rooms are just so tasteful and the staff were extremely friendly and helpfull. Quieter than other parts of NY you will get a good mights sleep. The only down side is that you will need to get a taxi or Subway to see the Uptown sights.
Highly recomended

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2010

I used to love this hotel. Not just the location, which is still great (!), but the whole feel of the place - a cut above your usual chain hotel and a bit special. I have stayed here a number of times in the past few months and have noticed that things aren't what they used to be. The rooms are an excellent size for NYC and if you have a harbour view then they are amazing. Being located where it is, you get a great night's sleep even if you are on the road side as there is hardly any noise. Where it is missing the mark is: housekeeping, general upkeep and staff....hair left in the bathroom, torn sheet, no room service menu in room, stale smoke smell in no smoking room, change from L'Occitane toiletries to 'cheap' looking own brand ones, no body lotion, 2 shower gels and no shampoo, carpet looking stained etc Doormen who much prefer to stand and chat amongst themselves than open the door for you, very slow service in the bar, snippy receptionists (apart from Patrick, who is v. welcoming and helpful). I think my biggest gripe is that there is no effort to make the customer feel welcomed like there used to be. I am not asking for the red carpet to be rolled out, but would expect a 'Welcome Back' or a 'Good to see you again' when I am there for the third time in as many weeks, even the offer of a room upgrade wouldn't be too outrageous. All these things are details, but they are what make the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. Step it up RC !

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JamieKate
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

The office is right around the corner so proximity is key. I love walking or running along the waterfront boardwalk/trail; there are some magical spots. There is lots to see and do in the immediate vicinity. The staff were great as were the rooms. It is what you would expect from the Ritz brand.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

Battery Park is a little remote unless you have meetings downtown, but if you do, then the Ritz is great set up.

Modern, clean room. Exactly what you expect with a Ritz.

My only complaints are the following: Housekeeping uses some kind of perfume in the rooms. It was really powerful and kind of gross. Also, my air-conditioning thermostat was adjusted up to 80 degrees every time I left the room. I'm all for conserving energy, but a hot room isn't that welcoming.

I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business