“Read this before you stay here….”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Read this before you stay here….”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I don't normally write reviews but I am so disgusted by this hotel that I made an account on tripadvisor to share my experiences at this hotel. I'm actually staying in this hotel for 2 more nights because everything is booked up and I can't get out!!
I checked in around 6 pm and waited 5 minutes for the elevator. Once I got to my floor I noticed that my keys didn't work. Instead of waiting another 5 minutes for the elevator I called the front desk. First they hung up on me. I then called back and they said they would send security up to let me in since I was on a tight schedule and had to leave the hotel. 15 minutes later I was still waiting outside of my door. I called again and they told me it would have been faster for me to come down and security wasn't even on their way. I asked why she didn't mention this to me before and she said you didn't ask. I go downstairs and get my keys- a roundtrip time of 10 minutes- to finally get in my room. When I walk in it's 58 degrees- mind you it's 38 outside. I turn on the heat and head out immediately to my meeting. I arrive back to the hotel at 11 pm to find that my room is STILL 58 degrees. I try calling the operator and for 3 minutes it just rings. I then head downstairs to wait in line for 10 minutes to tell them I have no heat. They say to go upstairs and wait for engineering. 30 minutes later- as I sit in my room with my winter jacket on to stay warm- the engineer comes up and determines that no one has switched the until from air conditioning to heat. This makes me wonder- when was the last time someone stayed in this room? It's the middle of December and they haven't' turned on the heat? I never received a call from the manager, whom I spoke with earlier, to check in to make sure everything was ok.
Now today- I left the hotel at 8 am and came back around 3 pm. My room hadn't been cleaned which to me is odd that no one had come by in that time. Housekeeping came by later, but I was busy so I called them and asked them to come back at a specific time when I would be gone for an hour. Guess what? When I came back my room was still not cleaned. I called down again and they said they would send someone up. Still waiting. Finally I just took a shower. When I was drying off with the towel someone else's hair was transferred to my body. Looks like they don't wash their towels well.
Ok- just wanted to inform you all. The rooms are VERY small and not worth the money. The staff doesn't care if you are having problems and it's very hard to get them on the phone to discuss. Stay somewhere else…you will thank me later.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JTraveler1975
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear JTraveler1975,

I appreciate you commenting on your stay at Hudson, and my personal apology that you experienced a myriad of issues while you were here. I am looking into the issues that you brought to our attention, but please know that these are not the service norms that we pride ourselves in. Please contact me directly upon your next return trip to New York so I can personally look after your reservation.

Nick Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,196)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Small compact room but very quirky.The staff are very friendly and very efficient and the hotel is located in a fantastic spot just a just a few streets away from Central Park. The only gripe is the darkness of the corridors which is a little 'odd' and while I understand the psychology behind it, nevertheless it can be a tad disconcerting. Overall though a fantastic and memorable experience

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear BelfastStarbuck69,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hudson! Thank you for sharing your response with us. Please let me know the next time you wish to return to our hotel so we can ensure another fantastic and memorable experience.

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

If you need to swing a cat, this isn't the hotel for you ;) rooms are nicely designed but tiny. The lack of space to put anything is the major drawback and I found the air conditioning units outside the windows were noisy.

However, superb location, great restaurants around (especially the Flame diner) and the bar in the hotel itself is very trendy and full of beautiful people. It's also good for Central Park and broadway.

The hotel has very nice design features and the staff were also helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Cre8ivewisdom,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your over all experience, especially our design, location, and interactions with our staff. I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the room accommodations. We do have an assortment of different room categories that provide our guests with more space both in the bedroom and bathroom area. If you would like to return to Hudson, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to discuss the different room options with you.

Coppell, Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

First of all, we booked a room with 2 double beds. It was spacious and comfortable (the standard rooms are tiny). The staff is very friendly and the hotel is located in a great location just a couple blocks from the south end of Central Park. We were on the 11th floor and had a great view of 9th Ave. The biggest complaint we had was the draft coming in from the windows. It was in November and temps were in the 20's. It felt like the window was open. We said something to one of the bellmen and he advised they were getting bids to winterize the windows. I would suggest they go ahead and spring for new double-glazed windows (it would also help muffle the incessant din of taxi horns). Also had issues with elevators, it took us 20 minutes one evening to get up to our room. We could have walked up faster, but, we had already walked 40 blocks sight-seeing and didn't have the energy needed for the ascent. Room service was horrendously expensive so we didn't bother. No coffee maker or bottled water in the room, which would be o.k. if the elevators weren't so slow.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are tiny.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KillerB33
Dear KillerB33,

We are delighted to hear that your encounters with our amazing staff and convenient location we nothing but positive. I would like to further investigate your specific reservation so I can make sure the draft from the window is addressed. Our elevators are currently being improved to better assist our guests in their efficiency. Please contact me directly so we can further discuss your stay and hopefully this will not keep you from returning to Hudson.

New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel over Thanksgiving w/e....dark and dimly lit...lots of dark wood....Stayed in superior room.....nothing special....exceptionally sparse...Bathroom has a large 'window' in the shower that looks back into the bedroom....covered with a gauze like curtain.....a bit too revealing .....Small...but clean.....NO amenities....(coffee maker, bottled water...though you can get the water from a vending machine for $2.75!) Bars are lovely...but $15 for a glass of wine...(really??) limited bar menu.. ... General location IS great.....we loved being able to walk everywhere.....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear smshw,

Thank you for your review on Hudson. I agree that our location is convenient and easy for travelers. We're sorry to hear your stay was just "fine", certainly we want all of our guests to feel welcomed and have a unique stay unlike any other stay they have had elsewhere. Please reach out to me directly should you wish to return to Hudson.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

great website - great photography - great PR and friendly check-in. That is where all nice comments end. Endless waiting for elevators as at least 2 are out of service. Escalator to take you from the lobby to street level mostly out of order, so back to the elevators and more waiting. Rooms are the noisiest I have EVER experienced. Doors are paper thin. Water in the shower barely lukewarm, you can clearly hear the flushing from upstairs / next door. No restaurant open for breakfast (sorry, private function)!

Not recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear GFK88,

Thank you for your feed back about our hotel and are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the staff and convenience of our website. We do apologize for the long wait on our elevators, we are in the process of attempting to make the speed more accommodating for each of our guests. I also apologize that you were disturbed by outside noise. If you were to give HUDSON a second chance, I would be more than happy to discuss different options that are available to you.

If you decide to return to HUDSON in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can make sure you are well taken care of.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Swanwick, Derbyshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

The entrance to the lobby is up an escalator from street level it can be a bit tricky when you first arrive and dont know lay out of hotel.The lobby, like the rest of the hotel, is dark and dimly lit.We stayed in a standard room for 2 nights. It was cramped and noisey and to use the bathroom needed a degree of imagination and contortion.The staff, however, were all very friendly and efficient. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try an upgraded room from standard or another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lynn B,

We appreciate your response and review of our hotel. Our lighting is kept at a dim setting to keep a mysterious atmosphere in place. The standard room is designed as a cozy feel, however we do offer 6 categories higher than the Standard Room that offer various design layouts that may better suit each individuals' needs. We are happy to hear that your interactions with our lovely staff members was positive and behalf of the team we would love to invite you back. We do not want this experience to hinder you from returning. Please contact me directly to discuss the different options of rooms for your next reservation.