“Wrong top to bottom” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Wrong top to bottom”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Sorry we stayed here. At the entrance is a long (not working) escalator to a weird (some say trendy) interior decor. You wait on line to check in, for the concierge and the elevators. The hallways are long, dark and narrow with charcoal gray walls, carpet and disgusting lime green room doors. The rooms are cramped. You feel they have squeezed every square inch out of the building to pack guests into it. The bed was made with a fitted sheet then a comforter and the top sheet over that.
We re-made the bad so we could sleep between the sheets. The comforter wasn't clean. The shower wall separating the bath from the room is glass. Who wants to watch what goes on in the bathroom??? Weird. Waiting with other guests at the elevator to leave I mentioned it will be good to get out of this hotel. They all chimed in with the same sentiment. The bill was $289 for the night. What a joke.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear 4Hmemling,

Thank you for writing about your stay and i want to apologize for the elevators being slow while you were here. They were actually being worked on during that time, but the company that we work with have corrected the issue and completed preventive maintenance to ensure that future guests do not have to experience the same wait time. Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be very happy to show you the difference.

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday season,
Nick Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I really did not enjoy this hotel. First off, if you're over age 25, I'd think twice about going here. The bars and "restaurant" in the hotel cater to an extremely young crowd. If you enjoy coming back to your hotel at 12am and being greeted with thumping club music and people partying and running around all over the place, then I guess this is for you. However, that's really a personal preference thing and not a reason to knock a hotel.

I give a low rating because of the service and quality issues at this hotel. This is a "design hotel" that has clearly seen better days. It actually seems like one of those places that used cheap, shoddy materials and tried to draw attention away from that fact by doing things like hanging white sheers in the room and installing weird lamps. Yes, the lobby and common areas are unique but it stops there. Hallways are dingy and poorly maintained. The beds are bad. If you're alone they'll be ok, but every time one person so much as moves a centimeter, the entire bed sways and moves. The bathrooms are terrible, just plain old and cruddy. The biggest problem was that the heat in our room did not work, at all, during a blizzard weekend. I understand that things happen....but it's really, really disappointing to have no heat in the middle of winter. As a result, we were comped room service breakfast. I would have been outraged had I paid for this breakfast. It arrived in a paper bag, in plastic take out containers and paper cups, and was an overpriced joke, even by Manhattan standards. Sorry, my idea of a nice time in a hotel is not eating breakfast out of take out containers. Same story with the "restaurant" downstairs. A few burgers and salads served on paper plates. 8th Avenue is right around the corner, with a plethora of local restaurants. I was sad that we wasted our limited NYC time eating in the hotel.

To be fair, there were a few positives of this hotel: good Columbus Circle location, 24 hour CVS and deli nearby, etc. and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SunLvr101,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Hudson, although I'm sorry to hear that your stay was anything but wonderful. I am glad that my staff offered you complimentary room service, but please contact me directly on your stay stay to New York so that I can personally look after your reservation. It is true that the hotel does have a very vibrant night life scene, and many of our guests enjoy coming to Hudson for exactly that.

I hope you have a great Holiday season,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. The hotel is a lovely hidden gem, I actually walked past the front door the first time, but when you get inside the lobby is amazing! There are gorgeous wood floors and reception desk with a large canopy of green ivy above...it like an enchanted chalet. The bar and library were excellently designed spaces as well. The rooms are definitely small by normal US standards but they really are perfect if you are coming for an overnight or quick stay. They used every inch possible in the rooms and even provided really terrific toiletries (lavender peppermint shampoo). Would definitely recommend but be aware that if you need a larger room you should call and see what is available.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Theatricalgal23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here. We hope you return soon and when you do please feel free to contact myself directly and we can discuss the options of larger rooms we offer.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Everything is dark in this hotel, lobby, rooms, just everything. Everything is also slightly different compared with other hotels; and you probably find the best elevator music in town.

We liked our room, but after 3 nights we were still not used to the very dark environment, and bright green room doors. The rooms on the other hand are very nice, and clean. Unfortunately the airco and heating system is very very noisy. We had to put it off while at sleep. We did not like the bars / clubs in the hotel and went quickly outsite where due to its great location you find all you need arround the corner.

Next time, we will probably try someting else; but i recommend to give this hotel a try to experince its differnt theme.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Review-by-Ewald,

We appreciate you taking the time to review Hudson. We can only hope to see you again during our Spring or Summer season! We will be kicking off our Spring/ Summer season with the re-opening of Tequila Park sometime in May and the opening of Sky Terrace, our infamous rooftop lounge, will re-open shortly after. We're sorry to hear about the noise issue you had with your AC unit. I hope someone from our staff was able to fix this during your stay. We hope this does not deter you from Hudson in the future as we would love to have the opportunity to host you again.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I don't normally write reviews but I am so disgusted by this hotel that I made an account on tripadvisor to share my experiences at this hotel. I'm actually staying in this hotel for 2 more nights because everything is booked up and I can't get out!!
I checked in around 6 pm and waited 5 minutes for the elevator. Once I got to my floor I noticed that my keys didn't work. Instead of waiting another 5 minutes for the elevator I called the front desk. First they hung up on me. I then called back and they said they would send security up to let me in since I was on a tight schedule and had to leave the hotel. 15 minutes later I was still waiting outside of my door. I called again and they told me it would have been faster for me to come down and security wasn't even on their way. I asked why she didn't mention this to me before and she said you didn't ask. I go downstairs and get my keys- a roundtrip time of 10 minutes- to finally get in my room. When I walk in it's 58 degrees- mind you it's 38 outside. I turn on the heat and head out immediately to my meeting. I arrive back to the hotel at 11 pm to find that my room is STILL 58 degrees. I try calling the operator and for 3 minutes it just rings. I then head downstairs to wait in line for 10 minutes to tell them I have no heat. They say to go upstairs and wait for engineering. 30 minutes later- as I sit in my room with my winter jacket on to stay warm- the engineer comes up and determines that no one has switched the until from air conditioning to heat. This makes me wonder- when was the last time someone stayed in this room? It's the middle of December and they haven't' turned on the heat? I never received a call from the manager, whom I spoke with earlier, to check in to make sure everything was ok.
Now today- I left the hotel at 8 am and came back around 3 pm. My room hadn't been cleaned which to me is odd that no one had come by in that time. Housekeeping came by later, but I was busy so I called them and asked them to come back at a specific time when I would be gone for an hour. Guess what? When I came back my room was still not cleaned. I called down again and they said they would send someone up. Still waiting. Finally I just took a shower. When I was drying off with the towel someone else's hair was transferred to my body. Looks like they don't wash their towels well.
Ok- just wanted to inform you all. The rooms are VERY small and not worth the money. The staff doesn't care if you are having problems and it's very hard to get them on the phone to discuss. Stay somewhere else…you will thank me later.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JTraveler1975
Dear JTraveler1975,

I appreciate you commenting on your stay at Hudson, and my personal apology that you experienced a myriad of issues while you were here. I am looking into the issues that you brought to our attention, but please know that these are not the service norms that we pride ourselves in. Please contact me directly upon your next return trip to New York so I can personally look after your reservation.

belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Small compact room but very quirky.The staff are very friendly and very efficient and the hotel is located in a fantastic spot just a just a few streets away from Central Park. The only gripe is the darkness of the corridors which is a little 'odd' and while I understand the psychology behind it, nevertheless it can be a tad disconcerting. Overall though a fantastic and memorable experience

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BelfastStarbuck69,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hudson! Thank you for sharing your response with us. Please let me know the next time you wish to return to our hotel so we can ensure another fantastic and memorable experience.

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

If you need to swing a cat, this isn't the hotel for you ;) rooms are nicely designed but tiny. The lack of space to put anything is the major drawback and I found the air conditioning units outside the windows were noisy.

However, superb location, great restaurants around (especially the Flame diner) and the bar in the hotel itself is very trendy and full of beautiful people. It's also good for Central Park and broadway.

The hotel has very nice design features and the staff were also helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Cre8ivewisdom,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your over all experience, especially our design, location, and interactions with our staff. I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the room accommodations. We do have an assortment of different room categories that provide our guests with more space both in the bedroom and bathroom area. If you would like to return to Hudson, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to discuss the different room options with you.