“Be careful with the bill!”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #390 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Be careful with the bill!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Our stay in NYC in this hotel was fine. Good location, comfortable bed. I wouldn't recommend eating in the restaurant but there are plenty of good eateries nearby.

Unfortunately, although we booked and paid through another internet site the hotel has taken money from my fiancé's credit card. Despite numerous e-mails, the hotel has not had the decency to respond. Thank goodness it was a credit card as the company are beginning to sort this problem out. Would definitely warn other potential guests of this problem as the customer service leaves a lot to be desired - indeed it is shocking - in short if you'd rather not be charged twice for a room, don't stay here!

Room Tip: Aim for a bigger room as they are tiny! Please check your bills - we corrected ours with the recepti...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lfclark
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Ifclark,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hudson Hotel. I am sorry about the billing error that has arisen after your departure from the hotel and apologize for the lack of response from the hotel. If you would like to contact me directly I would love to assist with the billing if it still has yet to be corrected. I kindly await your reply.

Kindly,
Erica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,278)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

As previous reviewers have said, we were nervous about the size of the rooms. When we arrived, we didn't have to wait long to check in. We mentioned to the man who checked us in that we had recently gotten engaged and he upgraded us to a suite! We were thrilled!
The room itself was fantastic, on the 11th floor so relatively quiet. The bed was so comfy and the shower fantastic! I know we were lucky to be upgraded to a large room but I think as long as the room was equally comfortable, I think we would have been happy in a smaller room.
If you are on holiday in New York, I don't think you are going to spend that much time in the hotel! The location is fantastic, minutes from Central Park, Time Warner Centre and Fifth Ave. Perfect for getting out early to watch the Thanksgiving Parade! There are handy stores nearby such as Starbucks and Duane reade for snacks and water.
Overall, we loved our stay here and would stay again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EvannaCork
EvannaCork,

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hudson. Should you return to NYC and Hudson please contact me with your reservation details and I will personally make sure that your next visit was as pleasant as your last. Once again CONGRATULATIONS!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 December 2013

If you want a hotel with probably the worst service and smallest rooms (and to few elevator) - Hudson Hotel New York is something for you.

Day 1.

I arrived and the air-condition was broken. It pumped out ice cold air and room was very cold. I called the reception and they send someone to repair the A/C. I got back in the evening and found out that the air-condition was still broken but now it pumped out heat and it could not be turned off. I had a very bad night.

Day 2.

I went down to the reception and filed a new complaint for the A/C. A swift apology and they noted my request. I got back for lunch and the A/C continued to pump heat. I started to be slightly annoyed but I went down to reception for a new compliant. Again a swift apology from reception staff and they noted my request.

I got back late and noted that the A/C was not repaired. I gave up and went to bed to another bad night due to the warm room.

Day 3

I was up and in a very bad mood and waited for the elevators to get me down but I gave and walked down and talked to the reception. Again a swift apology but this time they offered me a free Room Service Breakfast. I said no thank you - the room is so small that I have to eat in the bed.

I got back around lunch time and to my surprise it looked like they were finally repairing the A/C but I could not use the room. I went back to the reception and requested a new room. I got a response that I had to pack my stuff and store my bags the in the luggage room for four hours and then I could check in the new room. This was not really an options but I responded by asking what I should due during the 4 hours. The staff person responded by saying this is New York (fyi information it was snowing and extremely cold). I turned down this great offer.

Day 4
Being upset I sent an email to the company and complained and several days later I have not received a response.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Folke483
Dear Folk483,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Hudson. First and foremost I would like to sincerely apologize for what you had to endure during your time at our hotel. I wanted to inform you that we are making many great enhancements to the hotel. For example, the elevators were down for a short period, but it was to ensure they run smoother in the future, and we are currently looking into each and every one of our heating/AC units so they not only run quieter but also that the temperature controls are accurate as well. I very much appreciate your feedback and am confident that you will be pleasantly surprised on any return visit to Hudson. Please reach out to me directly as I would like to personally look after any future reservations.

Kind regards,
Erica Lino

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked my stay at The Hudson hotel for Thanksgiving back in March, and after reading through a lot of the reviews I admit I was a little put off.
I shouldn't have worried because the hotel was lovely, the staff were helpful, and my room was cosy and warm. I'd seen pictures and read complaints about the size of the bathrooms - we'd booked a superior double and the bathroom was roomy - it even had a full size bath in it! The room itself wasn't exactly massive but it was clean, contemporary, and had a decent size tv to catch up on all the parade news.
The bed was extremely comfortable (another thing people have complained about on here) and I had a decent night sleep every night. A couple of evenings we came back to the hotel after 11pm and out of 7 nights we were only met with loud music once, and as we were on the 12th floor I couldn't hear it from the room anyway.

Check in was extremely quick, we got in before 2pm and the nice lady on reception allowed to check in early which was a bonus we weren't expecting. She was lovely and gave us advice on where to watch the parade etc.

The lobby and bar area was cosy and inviting and wasn't actually much difference in price in comparison to the bars and restaurants in times square.

Overall it was a relaxed atmosphere and a pleasant stay in the hudson, a perfect place to come back to after a busy day in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible to avoid street noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Eloise W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a pleasant review about your most recent stay at Hudson. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Please contact us if you will be staying at Hudson in the future so that we can look out for you.

Kind Regards,

Sheffield
Reviewed 16 December 2013

A good hotel, very close to Central Park, and easy walking distance to Times Square. Reception was very good, and all staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The bar was a bit expensive, and we found it much cheaper to get breakfast at the Deli on the corner of 9th Ave., about 50 yards from the hotel entrance. There are also a few decent restaurants down 9th Ave, within easy walking distance, and a subway station at Columbus Circle only 150 yds away if you want to go to lower Manhattan.

The rooms were very small, which may be typical of New York hotels, but everything was kept clean and tidy. We sometimes had to wait a while for lifts, as although there were several of them they were often busy.

We did see several private functions taking place while we were there, but couldn't hear any noise in our room.

On balance we would definitely consider staying here again, despite the small rooms, as we enjoyed our stay, and were too busy to spend much time in our room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Pete,

I am happy that you enjoyed your most recent stay at Hudson. Though our Standard Rooms are only 150sq ft we do offer six (6) other room categories that are bigger and detailed on our website. In response to your comment, the elevators were down for a short period, but it was to ensure they run smoother in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time out to review the hotel and should you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Kind regards,

Erica Lino
Croton on Hudson, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Sorry we stayed here. At the entrance is a long (not working) escalator to a weird (some say trendy) interior decor. You wait on line to check in, for the concierge and the elevators. The hallways are long, dark and narrow with charcoal gray walls, carpet and disgusting lime green room doors. The rooms are cramped. You feel they have squeezed every square inch out of the building to pack guests into it. The bed was made with a fitted sheet then a comforter and the top sheet over that.
We re-made the bad so we could sleep between the sheets. The comforter wasn't clean. The shower wall separating the bath from the room is glass. Who wants to watch what goes on in the bathroom??? Weird. Waiting with other guests at the elevator to leave I mentioned it will be good to get out of this hotel. They all chimed in with the same sentiment. The bill was $289 for the night. What a joke.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HudsonFrontOffice, Front Office Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear 4Hmemling,

Thank you for writing about your stay and i want to apologize for the elevators being slow while you were here. They were actually being worked on during that time, but the company that we work with have corrected the issue and completed preventive maintenance to ensure that future guests do not have to experience the same wait time. Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be very happy to show you the difference.

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday season,
Nick Riley
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I really did not enjoy this hotel. First off, if you're over age 25, I'd think twice about going here. The bars and "restaurant" in the hotel cater to an extremely young crowd. If you enjoy coming back to your hotel at 12am and being greeted with thumping club music and people partying and running around all over the place, then I guess this is for you. However, that's really a personal preference thing and not a reason to knock a hotel.

I give a low rating because of the service and quality issues at this hotel. This is a "design hotel" that has clearly seen better days. It actually seems like one of those places that used cheap, shoddy materials and tried to draw attention away from that fact by doing things like hanging white sheers in the room and installing weird lamps. Yes, the lobby and common areas are unique but it stops there. Hallways are dingy and poorly maintained. The beds are bad. If you're alone they'll be ok, but every time one person so much as moves a centimeter, the entire bed sways and moves. The bathrooms are terrible, just plain old and cruddy. The biggest problem was that the heat in our room did not work, at all, during a blizzard weekend. I understand that things happen....but it's really, really disappointing to have no heat in the middle of winter. As a result, we were comped room service breakfast. I would have been outraged had I paid for this breakfast. It arrived in a paper bag, in plastic take out containers and paper cups, and was an overpriced joke, even by Manhattan standards. Sorry, my idea of a nice time in a hotel is not eating breakfast out of take out containers. Same story with the "restaurant" downstairs. A few burgers and salads served on paper plates. 8th Avenue is right around the corner, with a plethora of local restaurants. I was sad that we wasted our limited NYC time eating in the hotel.

To be fair, there were a few positives of this hotel: good Columbus Circle location, 24 hour CVS and deli nearby, etc. and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SunLvr101,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Hudson, although I'm sorry to hear that your stay was anything but wonderful. I am glad that my staff offered you complimentary room service, but please contact me directly on your stay stay to New York so that I can personally look after your reservation. It is true that the hotel does have a very vibrant night life scene, and many of our guests enjoy coming to Hudson for exactly that.

I hope you have a great Holiday season,
Nick Riley