“It's all about the lobby”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #390 of 467 Hotels in New York City
ny
“It's all about the lobby”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

As long as you don't go upstairs, you'll be fine. The lobby is beautiful and swanky, filled with hipsters. The rooms will please a person who is just happy to be staying in NYC. When I say tiny, I mean berth-sized. My room would have been uncomfortable for two people, and I was supposedly in a superior room. It faced 58th Street, and it was NOISY. I called about the noise and was told the interior rooms are also noisy if the bars are open, so basically just deal. Something also "clanked" loudly in the room every few minutes-- sounded like some kind of pipe. No fridge. No coffee maker. No chest of draws- just a cubby. Bathroom shower control was a bit tricky, and there was a tacky shower curtain, and the kind of shampoo that doesn't lather. Not really impressed.

Room Tip: see if there is one that is quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
To Seekr,

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the decor of our public space. However I apologize for what became an uncomfortable experience for you. We continually are going through changes to improve our hotel and guest experience. Our rooms tend to be on the smaller size, I suppose that's part of the older buildings charm in the city. That being said we do have larger rooms. The next time you come to NYC please reach out to me so that I may be able to oversee your next stay and make it comfortable for you.

I hope this finds you well,

Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,278)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights over new year 2013/14. Location is great, being situated near central park. Rooms are small but perfectly formed. My only small gripes were that the heating was incredibly noisy and is located next to your head behind the headboard. That combined with the squeaky mattress did annoy me a bit, but wasn't all that bad. Travelled as a party of two, and tried the bar/restaurant - nice food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Good Afternoon Jbb1981,

I would first like to say thank you for choosing Hudson on your trip to NYC. I'm glad to see that you took full advantage of where we are located. I found our area to be perfect for art, culture and food. You mentioned that your unit in the room was noisy and it didn't help that it was near the headboard. I do apologize for that inconvenience. We do have rooms that are bigger in size that have a slight variation in the unit location this helps when it comes to a unit that hums. When you return back to NYC please reach out to me so that I may be able to overlook your reservation with us.

Hope your day is going well,

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I came here with my boyfriend in February. The location of the hotel was so nice and central to everything we wanted to do, plus hey had a special room rate, so it was perfect! Arriving at the hotel was nice; the staff was friendly and the decor is quite appealing. When we got to the room, yes it was small, but EVERY living space in NYC is small! The shower has a glass wall facing the bedroom, so I hope you really like whoever else is in the room with you! Also, I am 5'9" and sitting on the toilet was a bit difficult (tmi, but it really is an issue when your knees almost touch the wall!). Our first night, I didn't sleep at all because the heater (it was snowing outside) made a noise like someone was banging chains over a metal pipe... (FYI, I live in Southern CA... Near the beach... I have a tiny silent space heater). We asked to switch rooms, whichever he staff was more than willing to do- the hotel manager personally checked out the room to make sure the heater wasn't obnoxiously loud before switching us! (I later found out that this is normal for older buildings in NYC, but I'm not used to it, so it was nice to not be told to "just deal with it"). The room staff was great, the front desk was nice, and our stay was great! I actually didn't mind the small size! I would stay here again!

Room Tip: 80% of the rooms are singles with a queen (I think), so it's good for singles or couples, I woul...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey Amber R

Your review was very informative of Hudson and NYC in general. I'm happy to see that our staff were able to take care of you and to make sure all was well in your new room. Our bathrooms can be a bit on the smaller size. I guess people in the 20's were significantly shorter than us! We do have bigger rooms that will have a larger bathroom space. It would be great to have you and your boyfriend visit us again. If you do so please contact me and I will make sure we get you set up to have a fun and comfortable future stay.

Be well,

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a room for three nights over Super Bowl weekend. There's a lot to say about the hotel, but I'll start with the room.

Other reviewers have mentioned the issues with the size of the space. There were some oddities (a window between the shower and sleeping space that left anyone using the bathroom exposed to the bedroom - I assume it was there to ale the space look bigger), but the overriding fact is that the room is tiny - too small, really, if you are taller than about 5'8" (a guess, but if you're close, you're warned).

I'm six foot and 225 pounds. I could barely maneuver around the bed without sidling along the wall. I could not sit on the toilet - no knee room, too narrow a space. For three days each day I would wake, get dressed and go downstairs to the lobby where there was a normal rest room then return to the room to clean up, shower, etc.

I could get in the shower (providing my wife with a good view), but there was no room in the bathroom to dry off. I toweled off by the room door. The shower curtain does not close off the shower at the floor resulting in a bathroom floor covered in water. My wife figured out that the problem could be reduced, though not eliminated, by aiming the shower at the interior wall of the shower. Made it awkward to shower but at least did not flood the room.

The hotel caters to a young crowd. The lobby level decor is interesting - lots of dark wood and greenery. The bar and place where you can get wings and burgers (it can't be called a restaurant or dining room) were interesting but very loud.

Rating of two for the neighborhood, decor and the staff who were excellent. We will not stay there again and will not recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Honeymooner0714
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Honeymooner0714,

I would like to thank you for providing us with your review of Hudson. We are a hotel that is based in an older building in New York City. So the rooms can be cozy and for someone who is taller I can only imagine the frustrations. I do apologize that the room wasn't functional for you during the stay. We do have larger rooms at Hudson that would be more comfortable for someone that is of a taller stature. The "peek-a-boo" curtain you reference is in many of our rooms but we do have the availability to find a room with out one. If you plan on coming back to NYC please reach out to me. I would like to see what we can do to make your next stay more comfortable.

I hope all is well,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here in the summer. Location can't be faulted, just around the corner from Central Park and several subway lines from Columbus Circle.

Very boutique/trend-conscious entrance, eschewing the traditional hotel ambiance. Staff warned us that rooms were in fact very small, but we were there to sleep and spend the rest of the time out, so this was not a problem. Well, we had to jump over our empty suitcase to get from the bed to the bathroom, but we were completely fine with that.

Place is not cheap, though, and the rooftop terrace bar was eye-watering though the views are brilliant. I'd stay here again if I could get a deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
To Notkaiho,

Hello! Thank you for staying with us at Hudson. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of Hudson. We are pioneers in lifestyle hospitality. Our beginnings are from Ian Schraeger the genious behind Studio 54, so our boutiqueness and style that breaks away from anything traditional starts with him. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed our uniqueness. Our rooms are a bit cozy but we do offer larger rooms as well. If you do come back to NYC please reach out to me so that I can help you out any way I can.

Thank you for staying with us!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I could have dealt with the bathroom that is so small I couldn't sit straight because my knees hit the wall (I'm 5'4!). I ordered a double room with two double beds - and got a single. Because I booked through Priceline, the staff refused to even discuss giving me what I reserved - and refused to give me a receipt. The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff were lovely, but the rest of the staff were consistently rude and dismissive. I will never book a room there again - and I will recommend that Priceline remove this hotel from their roster.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank GTASue
Hello GTASue,

I would like to apologize for what seemed to be a difficult experience with us at Hudson. Our standard rooms are a bit cozy, I could understand why you would want a bigger room. When we have guests that book through Priceline.com even though they may have requested a room with two beds Priceline can only book a standard room. They can not reserve a room with two beds. I apologize that our front desk agent seemed to be rude when explaining this and I will follow up with the team. As far as the receipt, you had paid Priceline and would need to receive that from them. If we printed a receipt it would be blank. We do have larger rooms and can upgrade to those larger rooms for an additional price. That is something we can do. However if you wish to return to NYC please reach out to me so that I can overlook your next booking and insure a comfortable stay.

I hope all is well.

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Spent one night here in early January. Decor is really cool. Dark and masculine. Library bar wasn't open which was a bummer but the other bars were. Rooms were small but clean - still a real deal considering the rest of NYC.

Good overnight parking across the street. Great access to Columbus Circle (shopping, subway, restaurants, market).

Will book again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hello NickIPO

Thank you for taking the time to review Hudson as well as staying with us! I'm glad you got to experience a lot of what Hudson offers, from our bars to our parking and even the surrounding shops. It seems you would come back and stay with us again! That's great! Please reach out to me so we can have an open dialogue for your next stay.