“Hostel for young adults”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #396 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Hostel for young adults. Ridiculously small rooms. Guests smoke in their rooms. There's a night club in the hotel and the noise can really spoil your stay if you actually intend to sleep rather than party. Staff are helpful and well prepared. Deco is great. I'd grade it as a 3 star, not 4.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Chambim
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Chambim,

I would like to thank you for staying at Hudson and reviewing us as well. Our rooms can be on the cozier side of New York City type rooms. We do pride ourselves in the social atmosphere which isn't for everyone. We are a non-smoking hotel, which most NY Hotels are. I do apologize that one of our guests didn't follow our rules but I can assure you that we have done due diligence taking care of said issue. We do have larger rooms at our hotel and we do have locations within the hotel that are away from the atrium area which is where you may have heard some of the music.

Next time you stay in NYC please reach out to me and I will do what I can for you at Hudson.

Have a great one!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed for four nights in a double deluxe room for two of us. Rooms clean and good, plenty of space in this style room but pay extra for a studio if you want more space. Bathroom tiny but clean, there was good privacy between the bathroom and bedroom, no glass walls! Ask for a high room as not so noisy. Best thing about the hotel is the location, only a short walk to most sights and great Starbucks right by the hotel. Overall clean and adequate for a stay in NY as you are not in your room much! Make sure you pay extra if you want more space and tip the maid daily! (Was disappointed having to pay $15 a day though for the internet in the room).

Room Tip: Ask for a high quiet room and pay for the biggest room you can afford
Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hey L N,

I'd like to say thank you for your review of Hudson! The size of rooms seems to be a challenge in New York City but your tip to upgrade is essential for our Boutique rooms. I find that the Hell's Kitchen and Upper West Side are the best locations in Manhattan, and we are snuggled right in between them. The next time you arrive to NYC please reach out to me so that I may personally look over your next booking.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

As you make your way up the escalator and to the the lobby, its hard not to be in awe. The impressive wooden lobby desk, overall chic design with stunning chandeliers make you feel like you have entered a kind of hotel wonderland and you cannot wait to explore. Then you look around and see the side rooms leading to restaurants, bars and patios that all look incredibly trendy and intriguing. You are so excited to get to your room and see what fabulous chic design awaits you...and that's where the fun stops.

After waiting an inordinately long time to check in even though there were only two other people ahead of me, I was shocked at how stiff and sometimes rude the front desk workers were. Once, I finally made my way to the impressive bank of elevators, I was surprised at how boring-not to mention dark and creepy- the hallways were illuminated only by a neon green glow. I hope you don't lose your room key in your purse. Or better yet you might want to download and/or locate your flashlight app now in preparation.

The room was incredibly unimpressive and bland compared to the expectations set by the lobby, not to mention incredibly small (though in NYC that's expected). They were clean and well appointed. Beds were comfy and they had all the amenities as one would expect.

Later the concierge was quite helpful in providing us with great places to eat and directions because the restaurants in the hotel were too busy and loud for our taste. The location is great for Central Park Area.

My only major issue was that on our last night there my mother was blow drying her hair after a shower late at night and it caused all of our room's electricity to go out. One of us went down to tell the front desk and they said someone should be up in a half an hour. This was a little unnerving/awkward/uncomfortable since we were now sitting in a room that was completely pitch black unless we propped a chair in front of our door to get the minimal light from the hallway. After a while the electricity did come back on and all was well.

Until the next morning. When it happened again (at least it was daylight this time). We were in an enormous rush for an appointment now, so this time when the front desk said it would be 30-45 minutes before the person came to look at the breaker it was really frustrating. After some discussion/prodding I was able to get them to give me a room key to another room where I could finish blow drying my hair and getting ready. I do feel though, that this would have been a solution that should have been more readily offered and that bothered me. I don't want to have to get worked up and facing a deadline in order have a real solution agreed upon. Moreover, why is such a large, high end hotel having circuit breaker/electrical problems? Even my Victorian Era brownstone can handle my hairdryer being in use while the TV is on (which is what they tried to tell me was the reason for the issues).

In any event, overall, for drinks and food, this place is fun and fabulous. But for an overnight, unless the price is right, I wouldn't bother. Oh, and bring a flashlight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 8Pawprints479

Hi Ya 8Pawprints479

Thank you for taking the time to review Hudson! I'm glad to see that our lobby and chic design in the lobby grabbed your attention! It is a unique decor to first experience. Our dim light in the lobbies is to keep that calm feeling but I understand being able to see so I apologize that it was a bit too dim. As you stated the rooms are a bit small but we do offer larger spaces here at Hudson as well. We can definitely try and have you experience one of those rooms. The electrical outlets going out on you is an unfortunate issue especially having to deal with it twice within a short span of time. I do apologize that time wasn't of the essence for you and I will follow up with our team to make sure that any future power issues are expedited. We take power outages in rooms seriously and will properly assess the delay in response time.

If you do come back to NYC please reach out to me so that we may help you out on your next stay at Hudson.

Hope your week goes well,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Small isn't the problem here. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are laughingly small. But almost every review I've seen warns of that. You've been warned.

I honestly would have rated the place MUCH higher (given the price/value) had they just been a little more responsive to the issues we had--window draft and ridiculously squeeky bed--without having to be called multiple times. Once they addressed the issues, we were fine. Sleep quality was poor the first 2 nites and average thereafter.

This is nothing fancy--but it's exactly the kind of hotel we look for while in NY--since we spend our time outside of the hotel--and just need a clean/safe place to sleep and shower.

Great location, near a subway, several reasonble restaurants, and a Whole Foods.

Room Tip: I asked for a bigger than micro room and was told that would be a $40 upcharge. So, we passed. Aga...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Ya DKD,

We at Hudson appreciate your comments that you have written about us. Our rooms are cozy and as you stated we do have larger rooms for an upgraded price. I fancy our location because it is near almost everything. You mentioned you had made your booking via priceline. Thank you for using partnering travel agents to book with us, however next time you wish to come to NYC please reach out to me. This way I can book you directly with us and personally see over your reservation.

If you have any further questions please let me know,

Have a great week,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The location was ok. The lobby exquisite. Daniel who checked me in was very nice.

Now for the negative. The room was to small no where for luggage and a tall person like myself who is over 6 feet tall, kept knocking into stuff. My room was cold and the thermustat did not work. Reported to the front desk and no one assisted. The room menu also stated $40 for a bottle of red white. However, i was charged $89.00. Did not appreciate that.

With all this being said. Will I return, if i was under 6 feet probably. However i'm over 6ft, so I think not. I would suggest.

Room Tip: Best experience for me was the location and the desk clerk Daniel for his excellent hospitality.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hi Ya Greenew11

My name is Alex and I am the Guest Experience Manager at Hudson. I just read the review you wrote of us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to do so. Our rooms are cozy and could be a bit hectic for someone who is above 5'10. That being said we do have larger rooms that could and do accomodate taller individuals. I'll reach out to Daniel and our staff for their outstanding hospitality. I hope I can continue their excellence, please reach out to me the next time you come to NYC and Hudson. That way I can overlook your reservation and set you up for success.

I hope your week goes well,

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

As per the other reviews, the room is small. But in NYC, that is to be expected. The room was very clean and the staff was very helpful. I will say the crowd at the hotel was a bit younger and cooler than what I expected. Also, most amenities included in other hotels are charged for here (WiFi was ridiculous). But if you are looking for a place to crash and will be out on the town the rest of your stay, this place will do the job. I recommend it for couples only as you will watch your roommate shower~ a sheer curtain separates the bed and bath. Also, the heat/ac is VERY LOUD. It wasn't a problem for us, but if you are a light sleeper, it could be an issue.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Ya Scogs416

It was a pleasure being able to read your review. We like to think of our selves as a chic boutique. I like to think everyone that stays with us has that bit of cool in them. So please keep coming back with us! I do apologize for some of the minor things that happened during your stay. Reach out to us so that we may overlook your next booking at Hudson.

I hope all is well,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

very poor,
I recently stayed at the Hudson and was very dissapointed with your hotel. No door man, dirty whole ways, tiles coming off in bathroom, mould in bathroom, paint job done by 5 year old, no breakfast other than room service and that was delivered in a paper bag, no Mini bar, no tea or coffee making in room, general upkeep poor, understaffed at reception with long waiting times every time, when trying to contact reception nobody would pick up on every occation. In general very poor operation nice look however.
Will not be returning and not reffering your hotel anymore.

Room Tip: don't stay here anymore used to be good but creed has taken over
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Markus H
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Markus H

I want to first apologize for your experience during your stay at Hudson. I see that a lot of your concerns were with the conditions of the room. I am sorry that the room you were staying in was not up to speed. We are currently going through our rooms and updating them to fix any issues that may be in them. If you wish to give us one more try, please reach out to me, my name is Alex.

I hope all is well with you,

Alex Dagg