“Great location but...”

Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Syracuse, New York
“Great location but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Hudson while travelling for work as we had an event at Lincoln Center. For purposes of being close to the venue, the hotel was fine but as noted by others, the rooms are really small, even by New York standards. There was about 2 feet of space on either side of my bed and a tiny bathroom. The bathroom was so small, my knees nearly touched the opposite wall when sitting on the toilet.

Also, very odd was the curtain that separated the "bedroom" from the bathroom. I've seen this at other hotels but there has always been an option of some sort of blind that closed off the bathroom from the other room. I was alone so this was not a big deal but even if I had been travelling with my husband, it would have been very odd to use the toilet with him looking on. As the room was small, there is no where else to sit but on the bed so the toilet is always in full view.

The A/C was adequate in terms of cooling but it was probably the loudest unit I've encountered in a long time. The fan ran all the time at a reasonable level but when the A/C kicked in, I felt like a jet was taking off over my head as the HVAC unit itself is right behind the head of the bed.

Public spaces are very nice with a couple nice options for outdoor bars and I would definitely stop here for a drink but won't stay again unless I need to for a company event.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NapaWineLover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,196)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here during a Girl's trip to NYC. The location was perfect just 1 block off of Columbus Circle. The outside of the building was elegant, lovely and so understated that it didn't have the name of the hotel written anywhere so we walked past it several times. The lobby was a bit strange and the front desk service was even stranger. They weren't the friendliest but cordial enough. Our room...like the facade of the hotel -- was elegant, lovely and understated...modern, very clean...a bit small even for 2 double beds. The beds were super comfy...but the corridor noise was distracting. Partiers all night long! The lounges, just like the corridors, were hopping! After standing in a long line to gain entrance, we were surprised that English was the 2nd, 3rd or 4th language in Henry's. Eurotrash to the extreme here. We are mid-40's -- old enough to be the mothers of 70% of the crowd but the music was great...although too loud and there was standing room only. Male patrons were certainly enjoying the lack of personal space between patrons while moving around. Wine here was expensive, beer reasonable. The Library Lounge sported an older crowd, but was to the opposite extreme...too quiet. The Tequila terrace was unique, fun and expensive. I don't know if I'd stay here again only because I enjoy my sleep and I'm getting a little too old for the Club scene atmosphere...but I highly recommend it if you are looking for a livelier NYC experience!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingSHay
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is OK. Food is OK. Staff are OK. Rooms are OK if like me you're 5ft tall. However, what I didn't like was being made to feel like a 2nd class citizen to people flashing their money when coming in for a drink after work.
Took up a seat in the bar an hour prior to England kicking off in the World Cup, the place was empty so we chose a good seat. 15 mins before kick off we were asked to move as someone had just called to reserve our seat - none residents! Really not good customer service! Never again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mazaanne

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We love staying in the Hudson! We have stayed here many times and will continue to stay here. You cannot beat the location. It is one block away from Columbus Circle which is my favorite place in New York. Across the street from the hotel is a Whole Foods (in a building that houses many other shops). There is a bodega on the corner that you can pick up breakfast in the morning.
When we arrived, we were greeting at the reception desk immediately Our room was ready and we were able to drop off our bags and head straight down the MSG. While the rooms are small, we do not find that to be an issue because when we are in New York we do not spent time in the room we are running around the city. It is big enough for us to put our bags. We just want a clean room, comfy bed, in a safe neighborhood and this hotel fits all of those needs. It has a nice size safe and a good size fridge so you can get water, beer, etc. The bathroom is such that you want to be close to whomever you share it with because it is just a glass window with some frosting and if someone gets up in the middle of the night to use the facility you probably will be woken up from the light in the bathroom. But everything is extremely clean and functioning. There is a nice size tv against the wall with a lot of channels. There is a business center located on the 3rd floor and my only complaint is that you have to pay to log on to use it ($7.99 for 15 minutes) and .79 to print. Outside of that, great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nina1940
Woodstock, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have not stayed at the Hudson for quite some time and it is still as cool and relevant as it was years ago (big accomplishment in New York as far as I am concerned). The staff was all very professional, welcoming, helpful and friendly. The rooms are small, but well appointed, but you should be taking advantage of the common areas which are outstanding. I spent the evening in the Common Bar with colleagues watching the US beat Ghana in the World Cup and it was a vibrant crowd. The neighborhood is fantastic, but just a little far uptown for most of my business. I will certainly come back if I am in the area!

Room Tip: upgrade if you can to get some room to move!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Upintheairtoomuch
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We actually liked our stay here. The "industrial chic" rooms were small (okay, tiny) but well-designed. The lobby and bars were vibrant and full of people. BEST OF ALL - we like the Columbus Circle location. It's a fabulous location for walking, subway'ing, gawking NY style. HOWEVER.. they are refurbishing the rooms - room by room - so ASK where you room is in relation to what rooms/floors they are working on that week. They started at 8 am - but they did not work the weekend. You should ask.

Room Tip: Ask about the refurbishing work.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SMFSanFran
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

While the location of the Hudson is fantastic, close to the park, Broadway and columbus circle. The rooms are small even for NY standards, its one of the nosiest hotels in the city, for some reason our air conditioner wouldnt stop making load bangs through out the night and when we complained several times we were finally moved at great agravation from the front desk staff. The beer hall and dining areas are fantastic so I would recomend visting the hotel without actually staying there

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple