“Room was small. Liked the friendly staff and outdoor common area.”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #398 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The standard room was small, so small I did not want to spend any time in it. The hotel was ideally located, had great common spaces and very nice staff.....did I mention the room was extremely small. When a room is dominated by a bed and not much else it is difficult to recommend the hotel as an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: At the end of my trip I was told by the hotel staff to upgrade my room to Deluxe or beyond for a bet...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron C
Write a ReviewReviews (6,770)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

If you want to spend a weekend of partying with beautiful people in a uber trendy surrounding then by all means this is the place for you. However, if you're looking for a nice romantic time, then stay somewhere else. Yes the place is beautiful, yes the rooms are tiny but comfortable. The shower is actually a decent size but using the toilet is a challenge if you're not a member of cirque du soleil.
Sleeping was the real issue for us between the noise of street, the music and crowd from the outdoor bars and the ac coming out of the bed headboard. In the evening it felt like residents were suddenly treated second best after the party goers, unless you can flash some cash. There are 5 bars and a 'restaurant' that serves hipster version of classic food, like fries cooked in duck fat and Kimchi hot dogs.

1  Thank oribie
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I spent 6 nights at the Hudson Hotel and was very impressed. Yes, the room is small, I was in a standard room but it was clean and very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and had room to store luggage under the bed. I slept well and the rooms were quiet The staff was helpful and pleasant. It is a busy hotel with an amazing lobby and cool bars. There is Starbucks very close by and a CVS. The location, at Columbus Circle, is outstanding. Each morning I ran in Central Park. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick T
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Yes the dining and bar areas are cool, but anyone can walk in and enjoy that. The hotel rooms are not nice and typical of a 2-star hotel. It is not clean but much of NYC is not so that is acceptable, but the worst part was the service! After arriving excited about heading out to dinner, we waited for our bags for an hour to come up from curbside. We called and no response so I headed down and waited with 2 other parties in the basement till a bell hop came. He responded with "the hotel won't hire enough people..." & never apologized for the lack of service. On night two, given the small size of the room we requested to move to a larger room (& was up-charged $75) to only a slightly larger room. And then waited another hour. We requested to move our own and they said they would take care of it. Overall very poor service and very poor room/bath quality.

1  Thank brtylk5
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Hudson is a small oasis of natural beauty amid the hustle of New York, with a lot of modern touches. The hotel is full of green--leaves, paint, live plants, and green policies; in every corner you find a tactful hint at or implementation of environmentalism. The ivy in the lobby is incredible, and each of the bars is beautiful and unique.

From my Jr. Suite near the top, the view of New York was breathtaking, and the streets were too far down to be loud or annoying. The furniture wasn't exceptionally comfortable, but the bed was; the couch and chair were a both very attractive, but lacked cushioning. The bathroom also seemed a little cramped and poorly planned, but not enough to cause a serious problem (though this hotel might not be the best choice if you have trouble moving in tight spaces).

I will absolutely be staying at this hotel in the future, and I would recommend it to anyone. Though many NYC hotels are unique, this one tops my list as an experience that everyone should try at least once.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are almost always best in NYC; Jr. Suites, despite the name, is fairly spacious and wor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichaelCWhitman
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was almost comical, walking into our room the first time--it was very small, with about 2 feet of clearance around each side of the double bed. The bathroom was equally small. My wife & I didn't really mind, but this room (a standard room, in the hotel's parlance) would be pretty uncomfortable for anyone large. Plus, we found it very odd that there was a window (rather than a wall) between the bathroom and bedroom. There was a sheer curtain over the window in the bedroom, but it didn't totally block the view into the bathroom. With the shower curtain drawn it pretty much obscured the view. Fine for a couple, but it would be weird for two friends or business people sharing a room. The hotel has four very popular bars, three of which are on the lobby level (the second floor), the other on the 15th floor rooftop. The lobby level bars can be pretty loud, so if you want quiet ask for a room on an upper floor. We were on the 23rd and it was very peaceful. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. We had one issue when we were accidentally double charged for our room...we had booked & prepaid the room using an online service, then when the clerk swiped our card for incidentals their system charged us again for the room. I pointed out the mistake and the staff credited the amount back to my card. A hassle, so it probably wouldn't hurt to point out any prepayment you have made before they swipe your card. Overall we liked staying there--great location. I'm glad I found a good price with a service (I used Jetsetter.com)…at full price I would have thought it overpriced.

Room Tip: Upper level floors are quieter, due to the loud bars/clubs on the lobby level.
1  Thank Cushionhead
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Let me preface my review by saying that we are a couple in our mid-forties who spent June 27 to 30 at the Hudson. My first time to Manhattan since a short college weekend in the mid 80s. My husband had spent close to a year there about 20y ago. This review will be mostly my perspective essentially as a newbie to NYC.

I had read quite a bit about this property before booking so I knew to expect small rooms, and trendy lighting and bars. In this respect it was very true. But knowing ahead of time means no shock.

I thought the value at a little over $200 per day was very good for the area. NYC is always expensive compared to many cities - but the location and ambiance of the hotel means this was good value in my opinion. I did book it about a month before our trip, The good location NYC hotels sell out fast so if you an book ahead of time do it.

I found the staff to be very friendly and ready with a smile. We did not spend much time in the bars at night, but had some coffee during the day and took advantage of the free wifi in the common areas. The wifi in the rooms is for a fee and there is no coffee or room for it in the rooms. There is a fridge, so during the hot summer,very convenient. the safe is also laptop size which was great.

We walked a lot, as do most people I imagine. cabs are outside the hotel if you need them - but traffic is horrid, so the subway is a better option I think. let me just say it isn't the same subway experience it was in the mid-80s. A lot is different, cleaner, friendlier, safer. I had been told this but seeing is believing and it was a whole other NYC than what I remembered.

This hotel has a fantastic terrace on the 15th floor, lovely! The bars and little restaurants really give it a cine vibe. The lobby is quite dark, but it is 'cool' and part of the ambiance I suppose.
The nights were not particularly restful though. The AC was very noisy, and when it was off the street noise was constant. We were on the 15th floor. In retrospect I would have tries to get a room with a view to the courtyards or the quiet.

I thought the location was great. My husband who knows NYC a lot better than Me thought so too.
The Columbus Circle subway is a very short walk away. The subway is in the TimeWarner building which has lots of shops and a huge Whole Foods in the lower level. I only found this out 3 days in. The Whole foods would have been our spot for a quick breakfast or to grab some stuff to eat in Central Park which is right across from the TimeWarner building. There are a couple of pharmacies very close in case you need anything. We walked along Central Park going north meandering in and out of streets and also all the way down to the Times Square Area and even Soho. It is a long walk though if it is really warm and you haven't the right shoes.

So all in all, as far as hotels go - the location and Value is definitely very good. The hotel is modern and trendy. The rooms are small, very small if you happen to be 2 people or even of a more full figured body frame but the hotel is really nice and I would still stay there again despite the small rooms. If you like to spend time in the rooms, you may find the space challenging. In my opinion, you just can't beat the value for the location if that's what you're looking for.

Room Tip: If you want quiet- ask for a view to the courtyard.
1  Thank GGAzur2014