“Great! ”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #398 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This was the first stop on our honeymoon and we had tried the upgrade card a few times, on checking in which was very quick we were given more floor space...like other reviews people have mentioned the small rooms, even with more floor space this is very small could hardly move. However don't let this put you off, you pay for the outdoor areas here which are amazing. The area at the bar is lovely and the roof top terrace is unreal the views are spectacular. It was about 90 degrees while we were there. You only need the room to shower and sleep! We had a great time.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank 7mquinn
Johnny C, Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words towards our hotel, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and love the fact that you got to experience one of our biggest claim to fame, our outdoor spaces. I can agree that we have many rooms that are on the cozy side, however we have a number of rooms of different sizes, shapes, and styles accommodate most needs and tastes and we are happy to assist a guest to choose the right room to suit them.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,942)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very disappointed with the size of the room. I had booked a standard room and requested a crib for my baby. To my surprise at check in, I was told that there is no way a crib would fit in a standard room and I had no choice but to upgrade to a slightly larger room. I would of been OK with that if I was told in advance. The hotel is also so dim and dark, by far the strangest! The rooms are clean I would give it that, but other than that, no amenities, wi-fi is super slow even when you pay for it, elevator takes forever to come. Overall, not a place to be with family perhaps better for a younger single traveler. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzy481

Thank you for your feedback. I am terribly sorry about he miscommunication concerning your room size and space for the crib. Although I can not be sure how you booked your reservation, I know we usually try to work with guests to choose the best room for their needs. I certainly hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hudson and have the chance to make you comfortable.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for a wedding. Good location, near Columbus circle subway and Central Park. The room and bathroom were comically small, like a usual NYC room. The draw is the various common areas like the outdoor patio, the sky lounge on 15 which has lounge chairs (not lounge as in a club), and the Hudson Common bar. I had the wedding rate so would consider staying at that rate again, but would probably try somewhere else if paying full price. Also, you have to pay for wifi in the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is in a good central location just near Columbus circle, so an easy walk to the park, 5th Ave, Time Sq and godo subway connections a moments walk away. The hotel bars are trendy and popular and this makes for a busy reception and buzzing atmosphere. However, this is not necessarily what you want out of you accomodation. We were there at the weekend and the music was loud until late, and we had to queue for some time before being checked-in due to the number of non-residents hanging around and making enquiries. The room was also small, plain and very dark. It depends on what you are looking for, but in a busy place like Manahattan, sometimes its nice to have a calm cosy room to come back to; however if you are looking for noisy party atmos this might be the place for you. i'd imagine it is also quiter midweek. The corridors felt a bit like those you might find in a college dormitory or hostel. The roof top bar was nice though, and so were the staff!

Room Tip: I guess its worth requesting/paying for a room on the top levels facing outward, the rooms facing th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you are looking for Mid-town hotel near Central Park in Manhattan this location cannot be beat. It's on a quieter Avenue and far enough away from the madness of Time Square. We got a great hotel and air deal. If it wasn't for the deal I don't think I would have stayed here.
The hotel is trendy and very cool looking. The escalator up to the front lobby is an impressive first impression. The dark wood, huge chandelier hanging over the check in desk and large glass window behind the front desk is a wow factor. But checking in is where it goes down hill from there. The check in process was quick we got out room keys but that was all we got. No additional information about the hotel, the lay out of the hotel, information regarding our room, check out time nada.
We also upgraded our room to the next one above their standard. It said it was a queen sized bed maybe for Manhattan standard but it was a double bed. The room was barley big enough for 2 adults to walk around in and the bathroom was tiny. We missed it in the room when we first walked in thinking the sliding door of the bathroom was the closet. I'm 5'4 and my knees where an inch away from the wall when I sat on the toilet.
The terrace is beautiful and it's nice to relax out there and have a view of the skyline of the city.
Towards the end of out stay the biggest thing that got to me was the darkness of the hotel. It was so dark in the lobby. I don't understand why it has to be so dark all the time.
Overall this hotel is great on location but overall the whole experience was less than memorable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Swoon1
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed for about a week, in the "standard" room, just myself. Yes the room was very small, but it was clean and comfortable, there was enough closet/shelf space to put my stuff in, and of course the location is awesome. I paid $200/night for the room after taxes, plus $15/night for internet in the room. For the price, all things considered, I was very satisfied and will try to stay here again on my next visit. The mini-fridge in the room was also a great plus.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I come to New York each summer for a theatre teachers' workshop. We usually stay in Times Square, but opted for Columbus Circle this year. We stayed at the Hudson Hotel from the 16th through the 20th of July and enjoyed the room, the terrace and the service. The room was small which bothered my husband who is 6' tall more than it bothered me at 5' 1". The staff was friendly, helpful and professional starting with Erika at the front desk at check-in. The rooms are clean and tidy so if you keep yours that way you might not notice the small size. The best aspect is the location. You do want to stay at this hotel even though the green lighting in the hallways lends an aura of science fiction. First, shop at the Whole Foods store at the Time Warner building to stock your in-room refrigerator and shelves with healthy food. I brought a small coffee maker and made a fresh pot each morning which I enjoyed on the terrace while my husband got ready for the workshop. Walk through Central Park West to the Dakota and the Strawberry Fields memorial to John Lennon. Walk even farther to the Museum of Natural History. Then go to the eastern side of the park to walk to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can get a subway train to just about anywhere in the city (including the Cloisters to the north and the Strand Bookstore to the south) at Columbus Circle. If you are not certain which train to take just ask someone. New Yorkers are incredibly friendly and helpful! Central Park in the summer is full of joggers, bicyclists, picnickers and people just hanging out so get some exercise and join in the fun! The Hudson's affordability makes enjoying a great location possible. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: For quiet ask for a room on the 17th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business