“Too boutique for its own good”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #394 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Receptionist was useless, didn't give us any information at all, not even a map. Other 2 groups with us got everything we didn't.

Rooms are tiny and the bathrooms are see through. So don't go with anyone you don't want to be naked in front of.

Very noisy in the rooms from the main bar that has a disco if your on a lower floor on the weekends. This goes on past midnight. Oh and you won't be able to attend as they are private parties and not even from the hotel.

You have to book tables in most of the bars, your can't just go to the roof terrace as they are mostly reserved. Prices are too high for drinks.

Stunning hotel to look at but not so good with the other finer points. I know it's in NYC and it's a boutique hotel but what we got wasn't very accommodating and I wouldn't stay their again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank K-Lo1979
Johnny C, Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

K-Lo1979,

Thank you for your feedback. First off I am terribly sorry about the lapse in service when you checked in, we try very hard to provide all our guests with the same level of service, but with any operation there definitely are time where we miss the mark. I review these comments with our staff and we will work hard to ensure that these lapses don't happen. As to our venues, we understand that many of them, especially the outdoor venues are quite popular with our guests, as well as corporate clients. But we never want our in house guests to feel that they are not important to us or they can't "get a seat at the table". Many time we have spoken to the bar managers and arranged for our guests to get taken care of, with the best seat in the house. I sincerely hope that you have not given up on us, I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to Hudson, and ensure that you experience what we have to offer from a front row seat. I can be reached anytime, my email is johnny.caruso@mhgc.com

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our stay got a bad start when it turned that the standard rooms we had booked could not be fitted with two beds as we had requested and we therefore had to pay dearly for an upgrade. The standard rooms are small and some smaller than other. We had two and in one of them the bathroom was separated with a see-through glass wall. When we moved out of the latter and got a bigger room for our teenage kids we were all in all satisfied with the rooms, but new customers should think twice before booking the standard rooms. The rooms were otherwise nice and clean and we really appreciated the extra power sockets for all our chargers. The air condition never delivered the requested temperature and the walls allowed us to hear even the slightest sound from the road below as well as all the ambulances from the next door hospital.

Located conveniently near Central Park, Times Square and the Subway, the hotel is a good place to stay while exploring Manhatten. The 15th. floor deck and bar and the bars by the reception offered nice hangouts and seemed to draw quite a crowd from outside the hotel.

The staff was friendly and mostly helpful. Our request for a 2-hour late checkout, however, was met by a demand for another half nights charge. We found this unusual and also unreasonable, bearing in mind that we paid for a full first night and arrived after midnight. They also charge for wi-fi in the rooms.

All in all we had an ok stay, but we will try something else for our next visit.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are small. Choose something else if you like space.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SveinDahl

SvelnDahl,

Than you for your feedback. I apologize for the confusion in terms of your room size, and yes our standard rooms are smaller and have just one bed. With that said, we definitely have a number of different rooms, both in size and location, that can suit everyone's needs, by contacting the hotel we will be happy to work with you personally and suggest the best room for you and ensure that you are comfortable, your expectations are met, and your experience can be a positive one from the beginning. I hope I get the chance to welcome you back to Hudson, feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to personally assist you with your arrangements. My email is johnny.caruso@mhgc.com

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Hudson has always been one of those iconic NYC hotels to me. The neon green escalator, the lobby chandelier, I've always loved the swank, trendy environment. I lived in NYC for 12 years and it's one of the only places that remained a "constant" on my list. In college, we'd save up for a week and go the bar. After college, we'd save up for months and take a staycation in one of the rooms after a night out on the town. During Hurricane Irene, when we were evacuated from our apartments downtown, we packed up for a weekend at the Hudson. And now, after I've moved to the west coast, the Hudson has been my go-to hotel for business (and pleasure) travel back to NYC. Until last week.

Last week was one of the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Actually, in thinking about it, it might be the worst. As a very frequent traveler, I check in and out of hotels on weekly basis; I'm accustomed to waiting at the front desk to be checked in but last Sunday night, at the Hudson, it was about 25 minutes. Not a great first experience to start the week but I could handle it.

I received my keys and went up to the room. It was the smallest hotel room I've ever seen (reference statement above that I'm a very frequent traveler); and also the darkest. The the only in the room was the bedside lamp. That's for reading, not for living. I ignored the darkness, sat down at the desk and logged onto my computer and started doing some work. Fast forward 5 minutes and I realized that it was ridiculous that I couldn't see the handwritten notes in my notebook because of the darkness. Not sure how that's possible since the desk is exactly 4.5 feet away from the bedside lamp but it happened. Given I was spending 5 nights in the hotel, I called down to the front desk to let them know about the situation and request a different room.

After waiting in another 10 minute line, I was given keys to my second room (supposedly an upgrade). Back upstairs, luggage in tow, I found the room. I could hear the music before I opened the door and figured that someone had left the TV/radio on. Unfortunately, as soon as I walked in the room, I realized that it was the noise from the bar/club down below. No problem, I thought. I'll turn on the TV and drown it out. Easier said than done since the remote control was out of batteries. I didn't feel like dealing with the noise all week so once again, I called downstairs. I was transferred to Milton (almost positive that's his name), the hotel manager. He said that he just didn't have any other rooms available and I'd have to make it through the night. He *might* be able He told me to hang tight and he'd have a new remote control delivered. Fast forward 20 minutes...nothing. Back down to the front desk I went, remote control in hand. To make a long story short, Milton magically found a vacant "deluxe" room that he thought I'd find suitable.

Back upstairs yet again, with a new set of keys in tow, I grabbed my bags from my old room and went to my new, "deluxe" room. Got in the door, noticed it was definitely a bit bigger but hit by an awful smell. Almost like smoke covered up with Febreze. Or something. It smelled familiar; I think like one of my college dorm rooms? Anyhoo, it was quiet, well lit and honestly, I couldn't take anymore so I went to sleep. The rest of the week was lackluster; despite being stowed in their envelope in a separate compartment of my bag, my room keycards were demagnetized daily necessitating long waits in the front desk line. Eventually I just started getting new keys BEFORE going upstairs. The free breakfast coupons that I was given when I checked in? Only good for their choice of food, couldn't even replace with a bowl of oatmeal. And a word to the wise; if you're in the 144x row of rooms, there is a closet there that stores drinks for the 15th floor Sky Terrace Bar. Each night at a bit after 10pm, you will hear a ton of glass bottles jingling as they replenish their supply (or bring down empties?).

The Hudson is no longer the amazing destination it once was. The building is showing its age. One of my rooms, can't remember which one (I just know that I left there immediately), was covered in shower mold (picture included). The front desk/management staff, while very friendly (thank you, Milton and Jade), doesn't have a whole lot to offer. The doormen were never present. Each time I entered and exited the building, there were people struggling with their bags through the heavy, double doors of the building. While it's been a great hotel for me for the last 10+ years, I think it's time to go elsewhere. I shouldn't need an upgrade to have a tolerable experience. Thank you for the fun times, Hudson, I hope you get the TLC that you deserve.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th and 5th floors in the rear of the building; the noise from the bar downstairs is overw...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SusanElizabeth1006

SusanElizabeth1006,

Thank you for your feedback. As a longtime guest and friend of Hudson, your opinion means a lot. Although we tried to remain consistent over the years, as with any operation, large or small, we have to continually look for ways that we can not only remain but improve. With feedback such as this it helps us understand where we need to focus on. We are working hard to ensure that Hudson keeps on being the amazing place it has been for you and all our loyal friends and guests. I hope that you will give us another chance and haven't given up on us yet. Please feel free to contact me anytime your travels bring you to New York City, I would be happy to make all the arrangements for you and ensure that your next visit is much more relaxing and productive.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I knew before I booked here that the rooms were on the small side. I had no problem with the standard room size. I was traveling by myself, it was fine. If I was traveling with my 6'2" husband, there would be problem. It use to be a YMCA, The architect and designer over came some flaws in the redo. My only grip was maybe better lighting in the hallways. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The manager popped into the front desk to help check-ins. Great Location.

Room Tip: If you need a morning run like me, Central Park is very close. The exercise room is great too.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Catzear36

Catzear36,

Thank you for your kind words, we really work hard to ensure that our guests' experience is a positive one. If you ever do find yourself in the city with your 6'2 husband, please feel free to reach out to me, I will be happy to work with you to ensure that both of you have a comfortable stay. I can be reached at johnny.caruso@mhgc.com

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel after being let down by another accommodation. I called very late and I think it was obvious to the staff I was slightly distressed, tired and upset and they could not have been more friendly and helpful on the phone. The same can be said of when I arrived - the front desk staff were great with me.

I was offered a late check out without having to ask and everything was very laid back and no problem. The room I was given was very small but perfectly formed and in line with what I would expect in New York for the price range size-wise, but the room was cleverly kitted out to make the most of the space and had very trendy furnishings.

I kept my luggage with the hotel after I had checked out and again, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Due to my very late arrival and circumstances I didn't use any other hotel services so can't comment on food and drink, but there were lots of crowds of people using the hotel bars and it seemed to me to be a very happening place. The location of the hotel is very good for exploring midtown/central park south and there are lots of lovely deli's and restaurants on the surrounding blocks.

Room Tip: Arrive late
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Jamtart18,

Thank you for your great comments. I am thrilled that the staff was able to assist you and you found a home at Hudson. We definitely do work hard and try to make sure that every guests receives an exceptional experience. I am sad that you didn't get the chance to experience our venues, they are definitely our pride and joy ( my favorite is Sky Terrace on the 15th floor). I hope that next time you will have some time and be able to enjoy ALL that Hudson has to offer.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very upscale and well-situated. My daughter and I found the room a little snug and, yes, the window from the bathroom to the bedroom was a tad disconcerting! All in all, however, we had an enjoyable stay. Beds were comfortable, staff eager to please, and no problems with A/C or noise. I would like to point out that access to the terrace was very limited and we didn't get a chance to see it. I was hoping that we could have visited after our Broadway show for a drink, but it was closed - that was disappointing. Overall, a lovely hotel that I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Get a room with more than one bed; that way your room will be larger.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

as new York city hotels go it was small but beautiful inside.great location for anything you want to do. its new York so the skys the limit. hotel was clean and appropriate. there was a mini bar that had alcohol and snacks. the only downside is they for the price I want the same space if I was in any other hotel across the country.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo