“Great Place to Stay!”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #127 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed two nights at Hotel Chandler. It is a perfect hotel if you are just looking for a place to sleep/shower/change in comfort. The room was small, but we didn't spend a lot of time hanging out in it. It was very clean, the linens were luxurious, the bed comfortable. We did not interact with the staff to a great extent, but when we did everyone was pleasant and competent. Because of renovations they are offering a nightly wine and cheese reception and daily light breakfast. The reception area was comically small, but it was a nice gesture that they didn't have to make. We did not go to the breakfast either morning so can't comment on that, but the wine and cheese were nice. The room was quiet and other than walking past the renovated area, we were undisturbed by any work going on. The location was great as we took the train to Penn Station which is walking distance. It was easy to get a cab to go anywhere else. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C W
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chandler

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights at the Hotel Chandler at the beginning of January 2012. Those three nights were just about the most quiet I have ever spent in New York City (and I used to live there). The room was small but extremely comfortable and clean. All staff were gracious and helpful. Although the lobby wasn't quiet because it's under renovation, we were in no way bothered by it in our room. And the hotel management kindly provided compensatory services, such as gratuitous breakfast and wine and cheese receptions. Once the renovation is complete, I'd like to return and enjoy it!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, simply specify it when you make a reservation.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica H
ChandlerGM, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

I am so very happy that you had an enjoyable stay. We are indeed lucky to have a location that is very quiet and at the same time very central.

Please come back and visit again!

Regards,

MR

Reviewed 8 January 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled to New York City for a 3 night getaway just prior to Christmas 2011. The staff at Hotel Chandler were very helpful - we checked in quite early in the day and they asked us if we preferred a streetview or quiet room. We went for the quiet room - it was very quiet! The room was great (somewhat small but expected for NYC). The bathroom shower was AMAZING!
Turn down service each night with a chocolate on the pillow too. There were renovations going on at the hotel while we were there - the main lobby was being worked on. The areas that were complete looked great. We didn't find any inconvenience with the renovations and it was great that they offered a free continental breakfast and free wine and cheese/crackers in the evening - unlikely to find this anywhere else in NYC! I would definitely go back to Hotel Chandler in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Chandler was a dream. Though the lobby is under renovation, the staff was beyond accommodating and gracious, offering upgrades and friendly service. I was traveling with my elderly, disabled mother, whom they treated with care and respect. The rooms were immaculate, large (by NY standards), and extremely comfortable. The Hotel Chandler is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We spent one night at the hotel chalder last week (week between Christmas and New Year's) and it was outstanding. We arrived early, but they were happy to accomodate us. They were able (without us even requesting it!) to put my family (2 adults, two kids) on the same floor as my sister. We had a small suite that was perfect, very clean, and had aveda products in the bathroom. My sister's room (king) was also wonderfully clean with aveda products as well (so it wasn't just a suite thing). Rooms were small by US standards, but fine for NYC. I'd call them "European" in size. Very efficient use of space and no space wasted (though it didn't feel cramped). We valet parked, and that was fine. Location is great - 2 blocks from subway, fine/not noisy neighborhood, walking distance (some across the street!) to good food. The lobby was under construction, but we heard no noises. There was a wine/cheese in the evening that was a nice break between sightseeing and dinner. Only wine/coffee/tea (no juice/water/sodas for kids, but they had peppermint tea and were fine), but it was terrific. Breakfast was included in the morning. Coffee/tea/muffins/fruit. All good, though juice would have made it perfect. I would definitely stay here again, and recommend it to others. Every member of the staff we encountered was nice, friendly and professional. I am NOT a fan of NYC because it can be overpriced and unfriendly, but Hotel Chandler made this trip worth it.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor. Elevators worked fine, though sometimes we took the stairs just for fun...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed at Hotel Chandler Dec 23-29th, 2011. Although there was renovations going on, I appreciated that fact that they gave complimentary continental breakfast as consolation. Hotel is on a quite street.

Location is great, free umbrella to use on rainy days, Aveda products, turn-down service with chocolates every night, great and friendly staff. Free NYtimes newspapers. Free gym and library in the buidling. Flat screen in room.

If you like Korean food, check out- Mandoo Bar restaurant on west 32nd, Post-office is down the street on west 31st, or go to the 9th floor of Macy's for post office. Free internet use in the breakfast room, able to surf the net daily , and print boarding passes for free without having to bring my laptop.

Complimentary tea and coffee all day.

Lots of asian restaurants near by.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I believe management mad the sin of omission by not stating that renovations were going on. The free wifi, breakfast and cheese and wine reception as "to make-up for the inconvenience" offerings were nice but frankly amounted to bribes. (FYI, the so-called lounge is cramped.) It didn't help that the receptionist who checked us in could not offer a room with combined shower and bath. The experience was such a let down. And all the while, I thought the hotel deserved it's classification and marketing of itself. Not! My experience so far in the Big Apple is not so good!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family