“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #122 of 467 Hotels in New York City
the med
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

So, where to start - I always ask for a bathtub as I love a long soak. There is a bathtub but its half size so no chance of a soak. This could easily have been pointed out when booking but wasn't. On arrival, when asking for a full size tub was told it was $200 a day more for room with full size tub. Also, I'm pretty sure we're in a standard/superior room when we booked & paid for a deluxe. Our room & bed are tiny, friends staying here have much larger room & bed & we booked the same. Fortunately, its such a great city so you don't spend too much time in your room. The bed is small but very comfortable, Frette sheets delightful (& robes & Aveda toiletries). Asked for late check out only to be informed that from 12 noon to 6 pm would cost $249! How?? Lastly, the free wine & breakfast are a really nice treat but I have never been to a hotel that has a room service menu that doesn't have any breakfast items on it. Maybe its an NYC thing not to want to have breakfast in your room.... Location wise, the hotel wins, & the staff gave us great bar recommendations. When returning to my room after 5pm yesterday house-keeping hadn't managed to get to my room. Surely not 4 star service, turn-down/house-keeping happened when I was out for dinner but no choccies tonight!! On the other hand, we did recieve a bottle of wine when we mentioned it was our anniversary. As I say very mixed feelings. Can't say I'd reccomend this place...........

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Considering the ongoing hotel renovations, I thought the hotel was amazing. Would have given all 5 if not for the remodel. The room was clean abd comfortable. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Hotel is also located in walking distance so many things around the city. I will be looking forward to the new bar so I will definitely be booking another stay soon...

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChandlerGM, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
It is Monday morning and your review set the tone for my week - it will be a good one! It makes me so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to make it a memorable one.

I do hope to meet you in the future.

Kind regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed in the Chandler for 3 nights. We arrived with a car and were told to move it before we had even taken our bags out. I had seen valet parking available but was horrified to be charged $50 per day and that was with NO access to car for the duration!! The attitude was superior and' take it or leave it this is Manhatten' . We were refused a baggage trolly and HAD to have a bell boy! A blatant way of forcing us to pay to get our bags to room!! When we finally got to our room it was lovely with soft plush bed, bedding, towels- really lovely. Unfortunately our loo was blocked so I had to get maintenance at 4am. Our window was also broken but we got an even better room the second two nights so happy enough. We only got 5 bed bug bites
between us so the bug problem is under control in this hotel i think. The complimentary breakfast was poor and the cheese and wine mean- not much of a compensation for the renovation inconvenience. The 'Dining' room was just a converted bedroom , very small andnwe had to wait. The saving grace was a lovely woman called Millie, she organised our
second room and could not help us enough. Without her this would have been a very very bad
experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine C
MWRobertson, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Elaine C,

I need to address the most concerning aspect of your review immediately, your claim to have been bitten by 5 bed bugs. I have sent you two emails regarding this with the most recent one attaching the report from an exterminator that we called to the property directly after reading this review. The report explains that there are no signs of any insects in the guest rooms you stayed in back in October of last year. I am sorry that you have chosen to wait 5 months before posting this review as i would have wanted to address this serious concern immediately. I have not heard back from you and therefore can only conclude that your claim is invalid and this case is closed.

Obviously, this reply is also directed at our future guests and I graciously ask you to contact me directly on 646-218-4444, with any concerns you may have regarding an issue we at Hotel Chandler take very seriously. I am proud of the many preventative measures we have in place to prevent such an occurance, and would like to personally share them all with you. Thank you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed here for a week. The staff was very friendly & professional except for Millie. I was at the front desk for 10 min. and she never even acknowledged me. The rest of the staff was friendly and professional. They have a small complimentary breakfast (pastries, coffee, fruit) due to construction in the lobby. The rooms have been remodeled which is a great selling point for me. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is the second time that I've stayed at Hotel Chandler; the first was a couple of years ago. The rooms haven't changed. They are elegant and comfortable. The bathrooms are attractive and the rain shower is nice, but I had a fair amount of water leak onto the bathroom floor. Great Aveda toiletries and nice towels, bathrobes, and linens. Free NY Times is a bonus. They are also offering complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese in the evening during construction. The construction does take up most of the ground floor and gets in the way a bit, but it's not a big deal to me. If you want to be in midtown and/or close to Penn Station, this is a great location. You are also close to Macy's and Korea Town.

I got an amazing rate because of the construction.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SandraInMadison
ChandlerGM, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Your review is very well written, and I loved what you wrote in the review. Thank you so much for sharing your impressions on this forum.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

The hotel location was great : almost in front of the empire state building.
When we went there, there were some renovation work going on so the hotle offered us breakfast and wine and cheese in compensation (we did not hear anything and could enjoy a brand new bedroom).
Moreover, the staff was really friendly and professional.

I would definitely go back there for a next trip in NYC !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lea R
EP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Let me start with the positives: the Hotel Chandler is a nice place with a lot of potential, reasonably priced, in a great midtown location. Its corporate owner, Triumph Hospitality, appears to be investing a great deal of money in this property, renovating the interior spaces including the lobby, bar, restaurant, and gathering areas. It is evident that the rooms have been carefully renovated and the bathrooms are clean and newly tiled with spacious showers.

The waitstaff, doormen, and housekeeping were all helpful, courteous and friendly. My wife and I spent four nights at the Hotel Chandler two weeks ago (January 4-7, 2012) and our overall experience was pretty positive. And here's where our problem resides: it could very easily have been extremely positive and I would be sorely tempted to give our stay a five-star review.

The negatives came on our arrival and first night's stay, and upon checkout. Again, I feel compelled to say in all fairness that our second, third, and fourth night were more than satisfactory, and -- again -- the Chandler's location allowed us to travel all day long around NYC either by foot or by mass transit, and be back in time for a nap or a shower before dining at one of the many restaurants in the midtown area in the evening.

Our original booking -- quite reasonably priced for two academics on smester break -- was for a deluxe King room. As is her preference, my wife asked that the room be quiet and away from elevators. When we arrived (after a ridiculously early flight -- we were up at 3:00 am) we were told that there were no King rooms away from the elevator so we had been moved to a Queen. No correspondence, e-mail or otherwise, informed us of this move prior to our arrival. It was presented to us as a fait accompli. Exhausted, and expecting that a price adjustment would be made, we accepted that arrangement. The instant that our luggage was brought into the room, however, I knew this was not going to work out. This particular "Queen-sized" room (beware of 1022) was only slightly larger than the Queen-sized bed that dominated it (this is no exaggeration -- we have stayed in 18th century Georgian inns in Dublin that were bigger than this room). The foot of the bed was about eighteen inches from the desk/television/closet console that a perhaps depraved designer believed was appropriately situated. I tripped over the desk chair that was crammed in there to justify the existence of the "desk."

I put my exhausted wife in for a nap and went directly to the front desk to let them know that we would stay in this room for the night (the idea of repacking, moving, and unpacking our luggage after an extremely long day of travel was simply too much) but that for the next three nights we wanted our originally booked King room. I also said that we expected a price adjustment for that first night.

The next day, we were moved to a King room -- room 1023, right next door to the Queen room they originally gave us, even though they told us when we arrived that there were no King rooms away from the elevators. I thanked the manager, Millie Flores, and mentioned that I expected there would be a price adjustment for the first evening. She refused, saying that we had been informed of the change and had accepted it. We had not been informed before our arrival; we accepted the change -- in a state of extreme fatigue -- assuming that something described as a "Queen-sized" room would fit that description; and we accepted on the assumption that, having booked a "deluxe King" room but given instead a spacious closet with no notification before our arrival, we would be charged for the Queen room and not the "deluxe King."

Ms. Flores initially stuck to her guns, insisting we had been "informed" of the change and accepted it. I have to confess I found this insulting: who would accept a very, VERY small room for the price of a more spacious room? After some "discussion," and assuring me that she deeply cared about the quality of our experience, that some adjustment would be made on our checkout. I thanked Ms. Flores -- quite cordially and sincerely, I think -- and my wife and I went off to enjoy our next three days.

At checkout, however, we were informed at the desk ("George" is the only name I got) that there would be no adjustment. I described my conversation with Ms. Flores. "I see nothing in the records about an adjustment" said George. He repeated Ms. Flores's earlier comments, still in the Hotel records, that we had been "informed" of the change and had accepted it. I asked him to check with Ms. Flores. "She is off today." I asked him to call her. He left her a message, and then came back to insist that, as we were checking out, we must pay the full cost of four nights in a King room.

A confession: I was fully aware that the difference in price for one night out of four between one room and the other would be minimal and, in fact, I felt pretty certain at this point that I was about to end up paying it. But there was principle at work here, and I was, frankly, miffed. I said, "No." I demanded that George tell me what the difference in price between the two rooms -- right next door to each other -- would have been. George began a protracted lecture about his many, MANY years in the hospitality industry, about his integrity, about his experience -- I told him to stop. "Tell me the difference in price between the two rooms," I demanded. After a few embarrassing moments, he told me: TEN DOLLARS.

If you are planning on staying at the Hotel Chandler, keep this in mind: ten dollars just MIGHT be more important than your overall satisfaction. Prepare to be insulted.

There's a failure here, somewhere, in customer service. It does NOT reside with the regular hotel staff. As I said, we were treated very nicely during our stay. But the Hotel Chandler's management leaves, I'm afraid, a LOT to be desired.

Room Tip: Get everything CONFIRMED in writing or by e-mail.