“Lovely room, good location”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #124 of 467 Hotels in New York City
edinburgh
“Lovely room, good location”
Reviewed 5 July 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Chandler on a birthday trip with my husband in April. We found the location of the hotel very convenient - it's just off 5th Avenue, which makes it easy to find, and is within walking distance of many attractions. The street itself is a bit dingy, and there is a gap site opposite the hotel, but it felt perfectly safe. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. I particularly liked the room, which was very comfortable with stylish decor, a big flat screen tv. It was well lit, with good quality linens and plenty of storage space. Lovely shower room with a very powerful shower (which did get the floor very wet) and great Aveda toiletries. Certainly not a lot of space, but we didn't find it to be too small for our purposes.
There's free coffee in the lobby. We didn't try the breakfast, but had more fun going out - would recommend Pax for breakfast, a couple of blocks away, but really good and cheap.
Our only complaint was that we had booked a deluxe room through expedia. These rooms are larger and have bay windows. We were put into a small room, with no bay, and when my husband raised it at reception, they told us that we had got what we paid for, and there were just different room layouts. They had checked us in early, so we thought that may have been the reason, but they appeared not to have anything suitable available that day. They did offer to move us the next day, which would have meant repacking our suitcases. On a short trip, I didn't really want the hassle. So we stayed, and I did like the room, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it was lacking in daylight and the window faced an opposing wall. I can only imagine that a bigger, brighter version would have been even better. When we returned home and checked Expedia's website we found that we clearly hadn't got what we paid for. We were given compensation (much more than the supplement we had paid) after one e-mail to Expedia - so 10 out of 10 for them!
Despite this blip I would highly recommend the hotel, and the city. Can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — stylish room
  • Disliked — no view from the window
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Infrequentvisitor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2008

Our stay at the Hotel Chandler could not have been better. At arrival, we were met by a staff that was extremely courteous and helpful. From the doorman to the people at the front desk, they went out of their way to help us with transporation and recommendations for dining and entertainment, Our room was very clean and was as spacious as any that you will get in the City. The location on 31st and 5th was centrally located to the 4/6 subway and walking distance to Times Square. We would love to stay there again.

• Liked — Helpfulness of the staff and cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2008

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, our time at the Hotel Chandler was wonderful. The accommodations were lovely, and the staff was friendly and attentive to our every need.
I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Liked — extremely clean
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I stayed at this lovely hotel in late November 2007 with my Mum for five days of Christmas Shopping and sightseeing.

The Location
It was a fabulous location just off 5th Avenue and a very short stroll from the Empire State Building and I would say it was walking distance from a number of the sights such as the Flatiron Building, Radio City, Macy's, Central Station and the Rockefeller Centre. We even walked to Central Park on one of the days in less than half an hour and Times Square in around 15 minutes. Alternatively there are a number of subway stops within a short walk.

The Room
The room was a reasonable size by New York standards; there was a large LCD TV on the wall, an amazingly comfortable bed, bath robes and a lovely bathroom with a power shower and large shower cubicle. There was plenty of storage for the length of our break and the decoration was subtle and modern. The toiletries were Aveda and replaced daily. We didn't have a good view or really a view at all but what does that matter when you won’t be spending much time in your room.

The Hotel Services
The reception staff were polite and helpful as were the bell boys. The room was cleaned and tidied daily. The only problem we experienced was an absence of hot water one morning (really not what you want in November), but the staff were very apologetic and the hot water was back on within an hour. The hotel bar was very quiet, if not empty, for the whole of our stay and is very small. The hotel restaurant only serves breakfast, which I cannot comment on as I never sampled it, however the hotel is very well located for a selection of restaurants for breakfast and dinner. There is a reasonable sized lift to all floors so moving baggage and heavy shopping bags up to your room is not a problem.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and had an amazing break here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The on site bar
  • Stayed November 2007
2 Thank emily2709
Rome
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I've been to New York on March 2008 for four nights.
The Hotel Chandler was like a pearl in New York. It was beautifully decorated and equipped and the staff were so helpful and professional. Our room was great very clean and comfortable. The room was a little small but perfet for everyone, lcd tv, mp3radio, alarm clock, safety box, refrigerator. The bathroom have a lot of accessory target Aveda and all linens are italian Frette, the shower was simply fantastic. The bed was very confortable after long walks. The location was perfect too near the subway and 2 blocks from the Empire State Building.
The Hotel offers you all day coffee, tea, milk and fruits. The breakfast costs 16$ but outside there was a lot of shops.
I think that if I will go in New York next time my choice will be Hotel Chandler.
Monica

• Liked — Lines, Position
  • Disliked — n/A
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 20 May 2008

My friend and I were extremely thrilled with this hotel! The people who worked there were super nice, the room was beautiful, the Aveda bath products were great and the location was fabulous! We were able to walk to many places and the subway was very close if we needed to travel any great distance. Overall, our experience was fabulous!! You must stay here if you want to be treated very, very well!!

• Liked — The location and the employees
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 16 May 2008

I've been to New York twice before and I have to say that I've been disappointed with the hotels I've stayed in.
However, this time I stayed in the Hotel Chandler and was amazed at this real jewel in New York. It was beautifully decorated and equipped and the staff were so helpful and professional and yet really friendly too. Our room was great - really clean and comfortable. The bed had fantastic linen and amazingly there were more than enough pillows! The location was perfect too.
I will DEFINITELY stay in the Hotel Chandler when I go to New York in the near future.
Sharon Weigall

• Liked — The beautiful room
  • Disliked — I loved everything