“I love it”

Ranked #124 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, Ohio
“I love it”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I frequent NYC for business and have stayed at several hotels. I am really happy to have found the Hotel Chandler. At this price point I found the rooms to be spacious and well appointed with beautiful linens and toiletries.
I also found the common areas to be very calm despite being in NYC. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Rick C:

Thank you for sharing your comments on trip advisor. I am very happy that the staff were accommodating and that you found our public spaces to be a calming oasis!

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Kate Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Panama
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Sometimes I am stupid. How can I believe in a hotel in the 31St ? Another, i did my reservation thru blind discount at Expedia from nov 01 to nov 04, 2013. A big mistake. Expedia and tripadvisor clalified Clandler as 4 stars. It is 3stars, really. The staff is friendly but the rooms smallest I have seem in NYC. The bathroom remember tmy former times with squeeze butdget in Paris trip: very, very small. Anyway, the region is bad, no shopping areas close, no honest restaurants close by walking. If are looking for a budget hotel, could be.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear H2a:

Thank you for taking the time to speak to Ms. Millie Torres our Front Office Manager last week. I am sorry that our location and type of boutique property was not exactly what you were expecting. I understand that you usually stay at the Hilton which is a very different property to us. If there is anything further I can do please let me know.

Yours Sincerely,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I've stayed here three times now and find it to be an ok hotel, nothing special. On the plus side:
- rooms and common areas all recently renovated
- hotel footprint is small so no long ocean liner-type hallways, boutique feel
- location is central but still quiet
- rates are generally good value for NYC

On the "con" side:
- breakfast in the new restaurant was slow and erratic. I was asked my room number four different times one day, on another day I didn't get the bread basket I'd received the other three days of my stay, most days I had to stand up to attract a waiter to get my check as they want something signed even tho breakfast included in the rate. The restaurant is new, so this may settle down in time.
- décor is fairly bland and rooms on the small side, tho comfortable (except for lack of bathroom counter space)
- To be fair, I just moved out of NYC after living there 10 years so don't need transportation or restaurant tips, which many of the other reviewers praise the staff for providing. I've found the staff to be pleasant but not outstanding. No mention of my SLH status or whether I've been upgraded at check-in, on-duty manager escorts me to my room without checking if I'm a repeat guest and asks if I've been there before, etc - nothing wrong, just not going the extra mile.

So overall, you won't go wrong here, everything is fine and a decent value for the money in NYC. Just nothing to set it ahead of the pack.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NSsummerset
Dear NSsummerset:

As per my email to you from September please feel free to reach out to me when planning your next trip to New York City. Our new restaurant Juni opened on August 19th so you were here on opening day. I apologize that the service was not where it should be and I can assure vast improvements have been made.

We also go to great lengths to ensure that the SLH club members are well taken care of and offered perks such as early check in and check out and upgrades when available. I am sorry if we failed to acknowledge you accordingly. The escort to the room tells me he definitely knew your status and I am disappointed he did not relay as much to you verbally.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is a quintessential charming boutique hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the lobby is nice and well appointed with several sitting rooms that one could use that were large and nice areas in which to have morning coffee and read the paper. The rooms are yes, typical New York size, at least the standard rooms, but ours was comfortable quiet and given the amount of time we stayed, just right. We highly recommend Hotel Chandler and would stay there again.

Room Tip: There are larger rooms and although we did not book a suite, I'm sure they are nice too.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 31 October 2013

we just came from great" honey moon" in ny- love the hotel, the prime location, the kind hospitality,the clean rooms- and the value for money! we'll come again!!!soon....
we arrived early in the morning from la- get our room quickly , with a friendly welcome,
great shower, large beds, fresh towels and emenities every day.... everything was 100%!

Room Tip: king size bed high floor
uk
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here whilst in New York.
Just a stones throw from Empire State Building too.
Ok there was scafolding nearby but there was a lot of this around N Y
Good position to get to all the places to see
Staff very friendly especially Scott who was most helpful.
Rooms lovely and clean, fresh towels everyday and bedding.
Mini bar and snacks available but very expensive I thought
Hotel areas spotless.
Free internet access which was excellent

1 Thank helenwooly
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We arrived early on a red-eye flight, and given the popularity of this Hotel, we were sure we won't get our rooms until much later in the day. However, the hotel staff was super friendly and helpful, and we were told the moment house-keeping cleared a room, they would call us. Sure enough, 30 minutes later, we were told a room was available. What a pleasant surprise!

The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. The hotel is in the perfect location for those who want to do some shopping on the 5th Ave. But what stood out about Hotel Chandler is the friendliness and helpfulness of their staff.

Dear Brandon W:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am delighted we were able to accommodate your early check in. We pride ourselves in our customer service and I am glad to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful.