“Great Location - luxury detail”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #134 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 December 2013

HC is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World which pretty much ensures that you will enjoy the extra quality and amenities that other hotels may not offer – such as exceptional towels and linens, bathrobes, designer bath products (Molton Brown), comfortable beds, nightly turndown service (complete with chocolates), complementary coffee in the lobby, free WIFI, mini bar/fridge (albeit rather expensive) etc. The staff are wonderful – courteous and friendly and the hotel overall is tasteful and comfortable.

We especially loved the location – just a few blocks from the Empire State Building. It is out of the madness of Times Square but within an easy (and safe) walk to most attractions. Close to Penn Station if you are arriving from Newark or travelling by train (easy walk - even at night), close to many coffee shops and restaurants, two convenience stores within a block (great if you want to avoid the rather pricy room amenities) steps away from the subway, and a (very) short stroll to Union Square, the flatiron district, Eataly, and Macy’s (just to name a few….).

Some of the rooms are very small so we asked to be moved to a higher floor and were pleased with the slightly bigger room and the additional light from the inside window (still no view). As other reviewers have noted – the higher the better….. The lifts can be a bit slow but the staircase is lovely and open, and this is in character with the hotel ambiance and it’s historical significance.

Would I stay again when visiting NYC? Hard to say – we certainly enjoyed our four nights at HC, loved the location and the quality amenities but the tiny rooms and the price (fair for Manhattan but no bargain) might keep me looking.....

Room Tip: The higher rooms seem to be a bit bigger and brighter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ChandlerMgr, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear hdigabtt:

Thank you so much for your detailed recent review. I am so happy to hear that you appreciated some of our architectural details such as our beautiful open staircase. As we are a boutique hotel and our building dates back to 1905 our room types and room layouts do vary. I am happy we were able to move you to a room better suited.

We truly do hope you would come back and stay with us again.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Comfy bed great shower and awesome towels, robes and bath product. Small room (queen standard) which was expected for NYC. 24 hour tea and coffee in lobby was a nice touch. Lobby bar closes early around 10 pm. Our room which was on the third floor faced the street and was ridiculously loud with street noise till 2 am ish which was our only complaint.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel has a quiet location away from the craze of NY but you can still walk to Times Square in 15-20 minutes. Every last employee was exceptional! We had a special request and they accomodated us superbly. Our room was tiny with an itsy-bitsy bathroom but we worked it.... (room #624) Clean rooms with all the gadgets we needed (hairdryer, I-phone charger, etc.) My mom stayed next door to us in a bit bigger set up (room 623). Oh I almost forgot! I slept like a baby!!! Great bed. Overall it reminded me of Venice, Italy. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: room # 624 was little
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank evaregina
Reviewed 20 December 2013

If you go to New York City on business, Chandler is certainly the right choice. Extremely well located on the 31st Street between the 5th ave and Madison, it is very convenient, offers you reasonable bedroom, the services are great from reception desk to concierge and housekeeping, and the breakfast includes the best, most crispy croissant I have ever had - detail, I leave nearby France!

On top of that, their Restaurant Juni offers a great menu for business dinners - or even for a dating!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had a great 4 night stay here. I think I stayed here a few years ago but it's been renovated. There are still some old building quirks like a big elevator and a small elevator but no trouble. My room was spacious enough for New York. The bathroom and all fixtures were excellent. Room service was prompt and delicious. The TV stopped working at one point but they sent up an engineer and they had it fixed pretty quickly. Overall a great stay. The gym is a bit small but the equipment is fine for a quick, mini workout. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlphaV24

Dear AlphaV24:

Thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear you are a repeat guest were able to appreciate the difference our recent renovation has made which includes our new Food and Beverage component. I am also delighted to hear that even though you did experience a problem that our staff were able to quickly resolve it.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at the above hotel in a Deluxe Double-Double Room with my sister for 5 nights in early December and I would highly recommend it. The location is very central and the staff cannot do any more to help you. Nice size room for a New York hotel, I have stayed in two others and this was by far the best. When I visit New York again, I will definitely stay here again - thanks to all the staff for a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Double-Double for a bit more room and ask for a higher floor with a view - we did...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying here, in a quieter area of the city but close enough to everything. Room was small but still enough space for 1 or 2. It was clean and tidy, the staff were great and helpful, even for a late checkout they helped out. I would recommend it!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Nixie321:

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and our prime location. I am happy to hear we were able to extend your check out time.

We look forward to welcoming you back,