“Nice rooms; service and room service just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #120 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chandler, Arizona
“Nice rooms; service and room service just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

Hotel Chandler is in a nice, safe location. It's an attractive hotel and the bellman are fairly nice. I had reserved a king-sized room, so when I checked in to a lovely room with double beds, I called the front desk and asked to be moved. They said they didn't have any available king-sized rooms, but could put me in a queen-sized room. I said okay and moved to this "room" which was no bigger than a large walk-in closet, and the only window looked onto the brick wall only a few feet away. It was DARK. I immediately went downstairs and asked to be put back in my original room. The hotel staff were NOT very helpful. They seemed to enjoy playing this game with me. NOTE: IF YOU COMPLAIN, THEY WILL PUT YOU IN A WORSE ROOM!

I put my room-service breakfast order on my door early the evening before, as stated on the card, and when I opened my door the next morning (when I was ready for the meal to be delivered) I found my card had not even been picked up! I had to call again and then wait 15 minutes for my breakfast to be delivered. The food wasn't very edible. They barely gave me enough coffee for 2 cups (and there wasn't a coffee maker en suite). Some of the $30 food I didn't even want to try eating - it wasn't very appetizing.

The rooms are quite lovely. My original room had a view of the Empire State Building, and was decorated very well. Had a beautiful flat screen TV, an IPOD alarm clock and a stylish (though small), tiled bathroom. The Aveda amenities were nice as well. The other nice thing I took advantage of was the free glass of wine each night in the bar attached to the hotel.

Overall, I would stay here again, but I would call ahead of time to make sure they got my reservation correct and put me in the king-sized room I had asked for.

• Liked — The beautiful and clean rooms and amenities.
  • Disliked — The service wasn't as good as you would have expected (given the nice, clean rooms).
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank asbdesigns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

I booked this hotel for one night upon reading the great reviews of it and was really looking forward to it but it didn't impress me that much. I stayed in two other cheaper hotels during my time in NY and actually preferred those. There was nothing significantly wrong with the Chandler but it did not feel any better than an average 3 star, and service certainly wasn't anything special. The room was fine, average size and the bed was comfortable. Even though I had requested a room on a high floor with a view of the city, there was no view at all and the bathroom had not been cleaned properly. This hotel was OK (and perhaps I was just unlucky) but I did not think it was worth the price and I would not stay there again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Bathroom not completely clean
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

I decided this would be a good hotel for 2 friends visiting NYC based on the TripAdvisor reviews - and wasn't disappointed! Fantastic location, professional, courteous staff, and all-around a good stay. I tend to stay away from non "chain" hotels but Hotel Chandler was an outstanding choice.

Stayed January 2009
lanarkshire scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

Stayed for 5 nights at start of year. This is our 7th time in New York, mostly staying at this time of year. The hotel was fine it was clean, the rooms were I think just too small! the bathroom was nice but also too small. If you are going to New York this hotel would be an okay choice, as it's location is good, although I prefere to be slightly further Uptown, but it is on the east side which is also my opinion better than the west. If you have booked the Chandler you won't be disappointed provided you don't expect 5 star luxury.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Too small!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pastol
ChandlerGM, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 13 January 2009
Pastol,

Thank you for your review and while overall it seems that you were happy with Hotel Chandler my overriding impression, however, is that we failed to meet the expectations that you had that we were comparable to a five star property.

At Hotel Chandler we strive to meet and exceed guest's expectations, which is why we try to be honest in our website and other marketing tools to accurately reflect the type of hotel we are. One of the things we love about TripAdvisor is that the reviews and photos posted by reviewers show hotels through guest's eyes and not through marketeers allowing a 'real' and transparent view of hotels throughout NYC & the world.

Overall our reviews reflect that we are a 4 star boutique property and we don't pretend to compete with the Mandarin and Four Season type properties. Our rooms while not overly spacious are typical of traditional New York City buildings and we have tried to furnish them in such a way that maximizes storage and floor area.

One area where we do try to rival five star properties is in the friendly and efficient service we provide and I am heartened that on service you gave my staff a 4 star rating.

If on your next visit to NYC you'd like to try us again please contact my office and I'd be delighted to show you our larger Junior Suites and our luxurious 1 bedroom Chandler Suite. Although these are more expensive than our regular guest rooms they can often be had for significantly less than a normal room in a five star hotel.

Many thanks again for taking the trouble to comment on your stay at Hotel Chandler as we value all feedback which helps us to continually improve our hotel.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

This was our first visit to New York and we were very pleased with our choice of hotel. From the moment we walked in we were made to feel very welcome in this fairly small hotel that feels family run. We had breakfast only once thought it was expensive though we only had french toast and tea it was excellent. The hotel is in an excellent position just being off 5th avenue and a short walk from Empire State, Macy`s and Madision State Garden. Our room was clean and comfortable, (beds were really comfortable) as was the bathroom with one of the best showers we have ever used. The reception staff were very helpful and polite, as were all the other staff from chambermaids to waiters. Would have no problem in reccomending this hotel as excellent and among one of the best we have stayed in. We stayed over the christmas period and we were surprised at how busy New York was at this time of year, be prepared to wait in plenty of queues to visit the major attractions, it took 3 1/2 hours to get to top of Empire State and this was at 8.00pm!!!!!!!! It was worth it but just be prepared. All in all had a great time in New York mainly thanks to having a great hotel to return to rest our weary feet. Many thank to all the staff at the Chandler.

• Liked — shower and beds
  • Disliked — breakfast a bit pricey
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

My Daughter treated me for my first trip to New York. The Chandler Hotel was a great hotel and convenient for all the sights, in particular, the Empire State Building is at the end of the street, a minutes walk!! The staff at the hotel are polite and can't do enough for you. The rooms were clean and the beds were really comfy, just what you need after all the walking and sightseeing. I found that the rooms were a really good size and the shower powerful and equiped with everything you need. If you are going to New York for any reason, you wont be disappointed at the Chandler.

Stayed December 2008
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

Perfect location for a hotel in New York and reasonable prices too.

Located on E 31st Street in Midtown it's the prefect spot to take in all the sights. Right on the corner of the street you get a great view of the Empire State Building and is walking distance to The Rockafella Centre, Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building. The nearest subway station is only a couple of blocks away on 34th Street.

The hotel itself is great art deco building. The staff are really friendly and they serve free tea and coffee and a selction of fruit. Breakfast wasn't cheap though at around $18 but there are plenty of cafes on Park Ave to pick up a tasty bagel.

The room was really clean and spacious with a flat screen tv, ironing board, hairdryer and best of all an i-pod docking station! View from the back wasn't great, perhaps there are betters views from the front of the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple