“Great Hotel”

Ranked #135 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chile
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I read all the reviews before book in this hotel, and now I can say that every good comment was true. The hotel is great in all sense. The location was very good, just two blocks from the Empire State and very close to the metro station. I had a Deluxe King Room, and I can say that the room was big enough for my wife and I. The bed was fantastic and the bathroom amazing, with clean towels everyday and a very strong shower. I stayed in the hotel for 7 nights and I have nothing to complaint about. The staff was friendly and very helpful all the time. This was my second time in new york. The first time I was in Wellington, but Chandler is much better in every sense.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Although I only stayed at the Hotel Chandler one night, I've been recommending to friends as an alternative to the chain hotel experience. Lovely (albeit) small rooms with generously sized bathrooms. Bathrooms feature a large tiled shower with great water pressure, Aveda bath products, and comfy robes that reach to the ankle. Bed and linens were clean and fresh. Good Midtown location - was easily able to walk to my meetings at 26th and Lexington. Hotel staff is first rate - they even printed out a travel receipt I needed from the 'net. The only very small problem was a mini-fridge that didn't seem to be cold, and had no visible means of adjustment, but that was a very minor issue. I look very much forward to staying at Hotel Chander again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Huntingdon
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We recently stayed at the hotel Chandler on a 5 day trip to New York. The hotel was perfectly positioned in mid town Manhattan. It was a two minuted walk to the Empire State Building and within 5 minutes of Macy's. The hotel was an excellent find and the staff extremely friendly and very helpful. The rooms are small but well equiped with hairdryer, irons etc. The hotel was clean and very well presented with its own bar, which offered reasonably priced drinks. So if you are looking for a base in New York this would be an excellent choice. Wouldn't recommend the breakfast, very basic and quiet expensive. But there are plenty of places to have breakfast close by, so no really issue. Would definately recommend this hotel!!

1 Thank dubuyas
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 June 2009

The reviews don't lie. This hotel was prefect in every way. The rooms were immaculate, comfortable beds, beautiful tiling in the bathroom. I'm a very picky person and this hotel met all of my expectations.
The staff were very helpful and the bar next door with their "Fight the Recession" drink specials was a great place to relax for a beer or two before heading out for the evening.
The location was great with the subway nearby. Walking distance to Time Square, Central Park and a block away from the Empire State Building. The room was also fairly big for New York standards.
I would have no trouble recommending this hotel to anyone.

Syracuse NY
Reviewed 9 June 2009

After a month in France, we ended our stay at the Chandler. We had a great rate and found this hotel to be terrific. The extras like robes, nice shampoos, great shower, free wireless, sauna and workout room etc. were appreciated. The staff (all of them) were helpful and really pleasant. Our room was small (probably because of our good rate!) but do-able. The hotel is near the Empire State building and a short walk to Penn stations and metros. I missed the neighborhood feel of the upper west side where we usually feel but the hotel itself met all expectations.

Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My daughter graduated this past weekend at Madison Square Garden from Veterinary school. Our family had never been to NYC and were nervous about what to expect. She booked the Chandler when she saw one of her friends she was graduating with had done so ,and I can't tell you how happy we are she did.
We drove in easily and parked in front of the hotel where we unloaded our belongings and gave the key to our large SUV which was valet parked for us..cost=$50.00/24hrs d/t it's size. We checked in easily and entered our rooms on the 8th floor 830 and 831, which are perfect for family members as there is a short hall between the two rooms with a door that can be locked so that the room doors can be left open if wished say for small children. My husband and I had a most comfortable queen size bed in a comfortable room with an amazing shower. Clean can't be emphasized enough..and I am a nurse germ a phobic! Our daughter who is 25 and son 17 stayed in the adjoining room which was larger with 2 lg size full beds...each bed could sleep 2 adults comfortably. They both were able to use their computers to stay in touch with friends and make plans for the graduation festivities.
My husband treated us before and after dinner to the little but nicely appointed bar in the hotel where the bartender couldn't be nicer..or cuter I can say! He also went there on his own to chat with the bartender over a Corona or two..
The gym is small but clean, and I ran on the sturdy treadmill easily. One thing you should be aware of is the items in the room that are for sale. We didn't have a price list and picked up items to see if there were prices underneath which our bellboy said there would be..I asked him if we lifted the items would we automatically be charged...he said no....but later in one or the rooms a price list was found and a note that items held for more than 20sec would be charged! A water bottle was charged to our bill, but was removed when we told the clerk we hadn't taken anything.
I thought this would be our one and only trip to NYC, but after our comfortable stay at the Hotel Chandler, we will be back o take in more of the sights:) My family has traveled a lot and this was one of our most surprisingly enjoyable stays!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed with my sister for 3 nights at the end of April 2009 in a standard room with 2 double beds. After comparing a few sites we found the best rate on the hotel's own website (it also included breakfast!)

Service-
We checked in a couple of hours early so our room wasn't ready but staff were extremely helpful and courteous and made us feel welcome. Our luggage was safely stored whilst we explored the area and we were advised that our room would be ready by 3pm, which it was. The standard of decor in the rooms and hotel in general was high. Our initial room on the 1st floor (US 2nd floor) overlooked the rear fire escape which was disappointing, but the next morning we asked if it was possible to change to a room with a better view and were moved to a lovely room on the 8th floor. Again staff were extremely polite and helpful.

Room-
The bedrooms were high spec. and a decent size - not massive but plenty of space for 2 double beds, 2 armchairs and a coffee table (in the bay window area) along with a wardrobe/dressing table unit incorporating a large flat screen TV. The room also usefully contained an iron & board, a minibar and an alarm clock/radio which was also an iPod dock. The bathroom was a decent size with a good shower and lovely Aveda toiletries. The room was spotless and didn't show any sign of wear, it had an overall feel of 'cosy luxury'.

Amenities-
Breakfast was included in our rate. This was not bad as continental breakfasts go but probably not worth paying extra for (think it's around $16) - it included fresh pastries, muffins, fruit, hot drinks, juice, scrambled egg & bacon - there were also free US newspapers.
There was a small gym which appeared to contain modern well maintained equipment, and seemed quiet, but we didn't make use of this - too much else to do!

Location -
We found it really handy-easy to walk to from NY Penn station (it's on the same street) also walking distance from Empire State (just round the corner), Grand Central Station, Times Square and also close to a subway station to get down to the south of the island or up to Central Park.

As a comparison we stayed one night in the Hilton 6th Ave (part of a package), after staying in the Chandler. Again in a twin bedded room but we calculated at roughly double the price for a night, without breakfast. The room was larger but that was the only advantage, the decor was of a similar standard. The staff whilst not unfriendly, were impersonal and rushed and the hotel felt soulless after the Chandler. In future I would always choose the Chandler over the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends