“Fantastic trip to NYC at the Hotel Chandler”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #131 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic trip to NYC at the Hotel Chandler”
Reviewed 20 November 2005

Great location, friendly and extremely helpful staff. Great breakfast every morning to start the day. I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and work colleagues. Hoping to return to NYC next year, so would definitely choose this hotel again. Doormen very helpful and friendly, especially Richard!

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank andrea186356

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 10 November 2005

Have just returned from a short trip to New York. It was my second visit and i chose it for the area. I stayed in The Wolcott further along the street three years ago and wanted to experience something new.
The hotel was great, and the staff helpful and friendly. Don't be frightened to ask them anything. My sister and i had a twin room.The beds were comfortable and we loved lounging in the bath robes and sipping wine. I loved the shower and aveda products.
The surrounding area is fine, yes there is some building work, but to turn the corner every morning and see the Empire State building was magical. It is a few blocks from Time square, but the joy was walking the streets and soaking up the atmosphere. We even managed not to get run over. I don't understand all the negative comments...In the end, you just want somewhere clean and friendly to sleep . Take your walking boots and enjoy.... I will be returning and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2005

I was scheduled into the Chandler for a 2 week training of some new employees to take over my job with the US Postal Service. So by the very nature of the trip, my opinion would be that the whole thing "sucked". I also figured because someone with the Postal Service arranged it, it would further be a disappointment.
However, I was completely pleased with the accomodations, (I would of course have enjoyed more room) but the room was clean, neat, the bed comfortable,the tv and the shower worked and there were no unwanted "critters" running around.
My wife came in for several days and she agreed that the staff was polite, friendly and ready to serve you.
The only dislike I had was having to buy water, but that was everywhere in NY.
My policy with lodging anywhere is DSTSS (don't sweat the small stuff). The odds are your own home is not as clean as a hotel room (at least mine isn't). Most will do anything they can to help you and if you happened to have had a bad day, maybe they had one also.
Give them the benefit of the doubt..........

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2005

I booked a one-night stay at the Hotel Chandler through hotels, based solely on price. After reading the reviews here, I was prepared for something below average, but was entirely pleased with our stay. The negative reviews - as are so often on this or any other travel site - are almost 100% the result of travelers not planning ahead or not informing themselves about the destination. OF COURSE your window is going to look down into an alley, it's NYC. OF COURSE a hotel isn't going to refund your money becuase you booked the wrong date and didn't show up for your stay. Further, we didn't see one single roach and we didn't smell anything unpleasant at all. Compared to some of the terrible hotels I've stayed at in the city at a higher price, this place is a gem. Decent cost, clean and pleasing interior, good location and friendly staff. I will say that if you valet a car, be sure to call down well in advance of when you need it - 30 minutes or so - apparantly they park cars quite a ways away because we waited a long time for ours. Hotel Chandler is an absolutely acceptable NYC hotel - small room, clean, lovely bathroom, and concierge and valet service that you don't get at most hotels in the same price range.
Do not be scared off by reviews from travelers who have irrational expectations.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2005

Reading comments that this hotel is "just ok" or "it was a decent stay", I must admit that when I arrived I was more than a little hesitant.
As it turned out I was more than pleasantly surprised. I arrived at 2:30am (thanks to stormy weather) and the front desk attendant was polite and actually pleasant. The room was quite lovely with Aveda products, Frette sheets, duvet and robes that were spa quality. The shower has a rain shower in the bathroom. Comfortable size rooms were nicely decorated. The staff was very polite in every way, very cordial and extremely helpful. I travel to Manhattan for business frequently and I'm pleased I found the Hotel Chandler.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2005

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip recently. I found the location to be very convenient to where I had to go--only a few blocks--for business, plus only two blocks from the Empire State Building, which I had purchased a ticket to see on the Internet. I wouldn't describe the surrounding area as a "ghetto" by any means, as one reviewer said. Certainly it wasn't in the really tony areas of the city but I always felt secure and safe traveling alone. I should add that I did not stay "out" after dark, returning from Greenwich Village one night around 8:00 p.m.

The rooms are modern but showing some signs of wear and tear, like runs in the berber carpet and broken room-darkening blinds. The Frette linens were the best, and I liked the Aveda products and the tiled bathrooms with cushy bathrobes. My biggest complaint was the view of a closed in area with air conditioner vents and brick walls, and some debris scattered about. As a result I kept the blinds closed! The rooms were clean enough and they have turndown service.

I ordered room service for dinner the first night and the food was fairly good. I was surprised that the mini-bar prices seemed pretty reasonable. The $15 breakfasts were okay. The self-service buffet was just cereal, fruit, bagels, croissants and such, and you could order two eggs and toast. Pretty pricey for what you get, but it was convenient and passable on an expense account.

As for the staff, I found them all but one waiter to be friendly and attentive. Having said all this, the next time I would probably choose another hotel further uptown, especially since I would not be as concerned as getting one located close to my business destination.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank mderabas
Reviewed 13 July 2005

Bad location: ghetto-like area, very run down and far from the shopping areas
Very small rooms
Unprofessional staff
Outrageous phone rates (I have received a 400$ phone bill for less than 40' of conversation)
Avoid this hotel.