“Loved it!”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #151 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We really loved this boutique hotel from the moment the taxi dropped us off outside. The staff could not do enough to help, and the room was typically New York small, but extremely clean with lovely furnishings and felt like our little New York home. It was decorated lovely for Christmas and although it is tucked away it looked really impressive and very 'New York'.
The hotel had free tea and coffee facilities downstairs which we often took advantage of, as well as free internet in the lounge and they even gave us an umbrella each on the one day it rained!
When they say it is close to the Empire State Building they are not exaggerating! As you walk a few steps to the end of the road it feels like you are underneath it, so no excuse for visiting it early in the day to avoid the queues - we went first thing and went straight to the top. This hotel is right off 5th Avenue & Madison Avenue, so very central and a few mins walk from Broadway, Times Square etc. Sometimes if we had spent the day further up near the park it did feel like a bit of a walk back, but very safe and so much to look at that we did'nt mind.
There is also a cute little breakfast bar just a few steps away on Madison, so we never had to wonder where to get our morning food to set us up for the day.
We had the best time here and would definitely visit this hotel again. Of course New York is amazing, especially at Christmas, but the hotel definitely added to our experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KWeath
Write a ReviewReviews (3,489)

Reviewed 18 July 2010

This small boutique hotel is just two blocks from the Empire State Building in downtown Manhatten. The reception staff were extremely helpful, going above and beyond normal duties (e.g.looking up things on the internet and checking in online for me). The bedrooms are compact but very well appointed and in excellent decorative order. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. There is free tea and coffee available 24 hours in the lobby/dining room, along with free internet access. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 11 July 2010

A beautiful boutique hotel located in Midtown. The staff was incredible assisting me with every request from managing the subway system to where to dine. I stayed for 9 days and felt I was leaving family when I left. The rooms although small are comfortable & luxurious. The hotel is centrally located to everything and away from the hustle/bustle of the city noise, which I prefer. I booked my trip via Expedia but read the reviews on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed. I plan to return to the Big Apple often & the Hotel Chandler will be my home away from home!

Reviewed 7 July 2010

Overall, we had a great time in NYC. The location is perfect. About a block and a half from the Empire State Building. About 10-15 minute walk from Times Square. Unfortunately there isn't really anything on the block the hotel is located on, a bunch of closed places. But you're right next to 5th Ave. which has tons of things. We were upgraded to a King corner room when we arrived, which was a nice surprise. Small room, but all are in the city. Bathroom was a decent size. Little chocolates left on our pillows were tasty. The only complaint, the maid service never replenished our shampoo and conditioner. We were taking two showers a day, so by the last morning we were out. I did ask the front desk to ask the maid to leave another set, but he/she never did. No biggie, but I was surprised since I had requested it. She did leave new towels though. The open staircase was wonderful. The only time we took the elevator was when we arrived and left with our luggage. I got a good deal when I booked the hotel, I would probably return again, if the price was right. Oh, and the free coffee in the lobby was a nice touch. Every morning I started off with a cup and it was decent coffee. Better then some of the shops on the street.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Just got back from staying two nights at Hotel Chandler. We found this hotel on expedia and it was one of the few hotels at a good rate with great reviews. We were not disappointed. On arrival, the check in was easy and the staff was very friendly. We got upgraded to a King bed. It was on the 2nd floor right in front of the stairs, but you didn't hear anything. There was a great view of a brick wall which was too bad. You couldn't tell if it was sunny or if it was day or night. But I guess that's the way it is in NYC. We valet parked the car at $40 a day, but you have a 24h parking allowance - we checked-in at 7pm and had until 7pm at check-out to get the car at no extra cost. This gives you a chance to enjoy more of the city.
The room was very clean, and very nicely decorated - very modern. The bathroom was very small. The shower was terrible - a rain shower with no water pressure, very hard to get the shampoo out of your hair. The bed was very comfortable. It was a king bed - but in fact it was two singles put together. By night two, you could feel the seam in the middle. The room was small, but we had alot of shopping bags crowding the room. There is a mini bar fridge, but as soon as you move something in it you get charged. If you need a small fridge, they will accomodate. We even asked for a bucket of ice for some champagne and the bellboy brought it up in 5mins with champagne glasses - very nice!
The hotel is well located. Very central. There is a great breakfast diner on the corner of 3rd and 31st called Moonstruck. Hotel recommended it and it was great!
We checked out at 11am and left our suitcases and many shopping bags with the bellboy. He tagged every piece and locked it away safe. They advised us that they needed at least 15mins to get the car out of the parking lot, so we called when we were on our way back and it was in front of the hotel when we got there.
Overall it was a great stay. I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This was a great find in New York. We arrived in at 2 a.m. and the check in was quick and easy. There was free tea and coffee even at this time of the morning. During our stay the staff were courteous, helpful and we were given help and advice whenever we asked for something. The rooms were excellent (although some reviews did say small) and we found them to be of a good size. The Aveda toiletries were a nice touch and we only took a toothbrush and toothpaste. The bed linen was to die for and I had the best sleep I had for ages. There was a safe, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, clock radio with ipod docking station in the room so you do not need to take anything with you. There is free internet which was great for doing our check in on our return.

The hotel was in an excellent position for deli's, restaurants and within walking distance of most of the sights. Take some good walking shoes though as everything is best seen by foot. We particularly liked the free tea and coffee (all types of tea) and various milk and cream - not in plastic containers either - all fresh!!!

All in all an excellent stay and we would definately go back and certainly would recommend our friends to stay there.

One tip - do not use Viator for booking transport from the airport. We got there and the car we had pre-booked and paid for refused to come out to us and we were left stranded at the airport - we did finally manage to get some transport and arrived at the hotel around 2 a.m.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

My husband and I went to New York to see "Fences" starring Denzel Washington. Since we were travelling from Virginia via Amtrak, we wanted to stay somewhere near Penn Station but also at a reasonable rate. After searching and searching for a hotel that met this criteria, I came across the Hotel Chandler. I read a number of the reviews that were posted on this site and most were very positive. The reviewers were correct. This hotel was very nice and within walking distance from Penn Station. From the time we arrived, we were treated like honored guests. The entire hotel staff was kind, courteous, and extremely helpful. We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 p.m. which was prior to the scheduled check-in time. They offered to place our luggage in a locked room until our room was ready. That was great because we had a tour of the city scheduled for 3 p.m. We got back to the hotel around 9:30 p.m., collected our luggage and headed to our room. When we opened the door, we were pleased with what we saw. The room was a little small, but very clean and nicely decorated. We had a very comfortable king sized bed. The bathroom was stocked with Aveda products (one of my favorite brands), an assortment of liquor and snacks were placed on the desk and the refrigerator was stocked with an assortment of goodies - all, of course, came with a price. The only negative comment I can make is about the shower. It had a large shower head in the center that could not be adjusted. Overall, this is a very nice place to stay for a weekend (like we did) or longer. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple