“Unexpected Delight Upper West Side”

Legend Sichuan Restaurant
Ranked #6,279 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Hollywood, Florida
“Unexpected Delight Upper West Side”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've returned to New York after 5 yrs. I've begun exploring and catching up in my neighborhood of Manhattan called the Upper West Side. The best changes are the increase in young people and the barrage of new places to eat both gourmet & inexpensive. The inexpensive restaurants are usually Asian. The first one to stand out ... to be so memorable that I was thinking about the meal the next day is this Legend Sichuan but none of the ones currently listed by TripAdvisor. This one is on W. 72nd St. 1/2 block east of Broadway. Every dish we ordered was memorable. What was unique for me is that every dish had it's own clear seasoning instead of a sameness even in the finest restaurants in major American cities. And it was inexpensive to boot. My bok choy and mushrooms: superb. Their short ribs fell of the bones and the flavor was distinct and oh yes, delicious. A simple dish such as fried rice was memorable.

• Visited June 2014

New York, NY
“Upscale Chinese in Residential Manhattan”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Located not far from the Food Network headquarters in Chelsea Market, this is first class upscale Chinese food especially for those with a taste for pepper-based Sichuan. As good and as classy as upper-tier Shun Lee Palace or Shun Lee West which Zagat's describes as "haute Chinoise," this restaurant specializes in creative and different dishes. The one drawback are bathrooms located down a winding staircase not for the faint-hearted.

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We ate here last night. We ordered the pan fried noodles, Chicken with mixed vegetables, and prawns with mixed vegetables. They got the order wrong and brought a different dish then the pan fried noodles first. They then realized the error and took it away. About five minutes later the chicken dish arrived. Nothing else was brought for at least another fifteen minutes. Then the two missing dishes arrived. The shrimp was not totally cleaned. The sauces were good, the portions large. and the place attractive.

Visited March 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fantastic Szechuan”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

One of my favorite places to go for Chinese food. I usually go with a friend and we always split the hot and spicy crispy prawns. Sometimes they ask if you want the shell on which we always do. No need to shell them, just eat the whole thing. Even the fried peppers are edible and delicious. This dish is fantastic. We usually order a vegetable like broccoli to go with and an appetizer like dan dan noodles. The last time we went I ordered the sour and hot sweet potato noodles which were amazing. The heat of the Szechuan peppers is a bit of an acquired taste and I'll admit to coughing a few times eating the noodles but it hurts so good! We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
“Best Szechuan food in town”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My brother taught English in Chengdu China for two years. I went to visit him twice and had great food there. Legend totally reminds me of all the great food and taste I had experienced there. Their authentic Szechuan food might not be the conventional items you would see in a regular Chinese restaurant. But you should venture out to feel the mala ( numbing and spicy) flavor. And you will love it. Addiction promised.

• Visited November 2013