Just got back from NYC and four nights at the Bryant Park Hotel over Christmas and their mega-blizzard. We chose this hotel, having stumbled on Bryant Park itself when we were last in NYC in the summer and it really is a great location.
In review then…
Fantastic location – after trying a few different hotels in Manhattan, mid-town is definitely coming out as a fave for easy exploring in all directions.
The view – if you stay at this hotel, you’d be a fool not to make sure you had a room with a view of the park. It’s the perfect contrast of park and skyscrapers.
The staff – all very friendly and helpful, without being obtrusive in any way.
The room – very light, airy and simple. Of course, clean and comfortable and a decent size for New York, which is notorious for some tiny hotel rooms.
Room service breakfast – did this on Christmas Day and it was excellent.
Koi Restaurant – the hotel’s in-house rastaurant, serving Japanese fusion. On the night of the crazy blizzard when restaurants all over the city were closing early, they found us a table really quickly when it looked like we were running out of options. The food was very good if a little expensive.
The ‘Cellar Bar’ – A nice looking bar, serving great Manhattans (what else?!)
Bath robes and slippers in the rooms – very comfy!
Zeytinz – a ‘fine food market place’ AKA a New York deli, just a couple of doors up from the hotel. Of all the deli’s we’ve been to, this is probably the best. Lovely décor and a wonderful range of tasty options for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And on the morning after the blizzard when lots of places couldn’t open because staff couldn’t get to work, the owners fuelled us up with hot coffee, free of charge. Nice. www.zeytinz.com
The shower/bath – the shower was quite weak (despite a huge bath and shower head) , which was a shame. The knock-on affect was that it ran onto the ledge around the bath, which pooled really badly and then leaked all over the bathroom floor, even making a break for the bedroom on one occasion. Not something worth complaining about, but a bit of a pain and just really bad design. How are things like that allowed to happen?!
The heating – just a little chilly in the room at times and the heating seemed to struggle a bit.
In room Wi-Fi – Awful. You get an access code from the front desk for this, but the signal was so weak in our room that at times the hotel’s network just wasn’t visible at all. After calling for help, an engineer came and put a booster router in our room and the signal appeared at full strength but was still so slow it was unusable at best, and kept dropping altogether at worst. All for $9.95 a day. In this world of iPhones, iPads and netbooks, hotels around the world all need to be doing a better job with their Wi-Fi in my opinion. And it should be free! We pay enough for our rooms. Wi-Fi should be a hygiene factor in 2010.
The ‘Cellar Bar’ – As mentioned in the good bits, it was a nice looking bar and served good drinks, but of the four nights we stayed there, it was only open on one of them. Perhaps that was partly due to the blizzard slowing everything down for a couple of days, but a shame regardless.
Our negative points in no way spoiled our stay. Rather than complaints, they are merely a few small points of feedback, which we hope any good hotel would be keeping any eye out for.
Overall - Our stay at The Bryant Park was fantastic. A really good, clean, modern hotel in a fantastic location, with great, friendly staff. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bryant Park Hotel, NYC's Fashion Address is nestled conveniently between 5th and 6th avenue across from the famous Bryant Park and a 5 minute walk to Times Square and 5th Ave shopping. Get a glimpse into the Cellar Bar, home to a number of fashion week parties and well known celebrity haunt. We are now offering free in room wired and wireless internet and Open Bar for all hotel guests, Mon - Fri from 5 -6pm. With casual elegance, pristine rooms and impeccable service. The Bryant Park Hotel staff anxiously awaits your arrival. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Southall Travel so you can book your The Bryant Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bryant Park New York City
- Bryant Park Hotel New York