“Lovely, friendly boutique hotel”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Seeing as this was our honeymoon I'd done a lot of research on hotels on Tripadvisor and went for The Library because the reviews were almost uniformly positive. (Its a sign of the quality of HKHotels that it has only recently been replaces as number 1 on trip advisor by another of its hotels The Casablanca).

I can't really fault the hotel. The staff were very hospitable and helpful, the rooms were comfortable and clean (the bed was particularly comfortable). Noise wasn't a problem (but we were quite high up so I don't know about lower rooms) and we barely heard other guests on our floor (though there was loud music from the bar (on the 14th floor) one night. The location was excellent, just around the corner from the spectacular Grand Central station and not far from some of the other main sites in New York (important as this was our first trip to NYC). We enjoyed the free wine in the evening and the continental breakfast (though the variety could perhaps be improved a little - very minor grumble).

On the whole I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for others especially honeymooners!

1  Thank Alpie12
Write a ReviewReviews (4,223)

Reviewed 26 March 2011

The Library makes you feel at home, from the gracious, sincere welcome at the front desk, to the atmosphere of the 2nd floor lounge and business room, to the conviviality of "Madison & Vine", the restaurant on premises. Rooms are small but quietly elegant and individualized, the beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms are jewels. Also the food at Madison & Vine is great. I'd return there every time I'm in Manhattan, if it weren't for this reality: The hotel is located in one of the busiest neighborhoods of the city, overlooking a heavily trafficked intersection, and the windows are not double-paned -- which means that you'll be noticing traffic and sidewalk noise (like the banging of truck doors closing) until midnight and once the sun is up. I stayed there after flying into JFK from London, so was going to be able to sleep regardless, but depending on what I was doing the following morning (getting up early to do a presentation?), I might opt for a higher-floor room in a larger mid-town hotel. You won't save any money at The Library versus a lot of those hotels, since most rooms at The Library will run you $400 a night once all is said and done, so keep that consideration in mind. The Library exudes the air of a very friendly and comfortable club (though the lobby and elevator decor are nothing special). It's the opposite of chain-hotel impersonality. But functionally it's not flawless.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank JackSD
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Dear Jack SD,

It never gets old to hear that the Library makes guests feel like they are at home. We truly work hard to establish that, but it is difficult to hear that you found noise to be an issue during your stay. We don’t claim to be perfect in anyway, but do have double-paned windows in our sleeping rooms. The hotel is located on Madison Ave, which is in the center of town, so noise can be an issue for those sensitive to it. Our staff is empowered to go above and beyond to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so if any of our guests feel that noise is an issue, we do everything in our power to offer alternatives. Did you happen to mention the issue during your stay? We could have offered a higher floor, if available, or ear plugs. Also, I have mentioned in the past that we believe our pricing falls well into the average rates being offered in NYC. Please remember when comparing prices that we offer a great deal more amenities than ordinary hotels such as free breakfast, free wifi and free wine and cheese receptions very evening. We understand that some of our guests are on a budget, and for those that fall into this category, the most affordable time to visit NYC is during the winter and summer months of January, February, July or August. We would love for you to give us another chance, and if you decide you would like to take us up on that offer, please feel free to contact me directly. We hope to welcome you back!

_ Yogini Patel, Honorary Librarian: yogini@libraryhotel.com

Reviewed 25 March 2011

I can't really add much to the reviews before this one other than that the Library is well worth a visit. There must have been a lot of time and effort put into decorating the rooms with the appropriate Dewey Decimal theme of the corresponding room number - and it works really well. It is clean, and kept clean unobtrusively. But mostly - all the staff are helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble for the breakfast and evening canape staff. John, the doorman, gave us his own New York map when we had left ours in our room. Jocelyn on the front desk, didn't flinch when we were indecisive about the type of food we felt like - but calmly suggested the options until we found one we liked - and then made the phone call to make the booking. Definitely deserves to be always busy!!

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I visited the Library Hotel because of Trip Advisor's excellent reviews -- and I was not disappointed. For a solo traveller - I cannot speak more highly of the service received and the assistance with travel queries. My room was the "Poetry" room -- 62 volumes, if I had time to read them! I expected the room to be rather cramped after reading that the Petite Single was very small -- however, found it to be most comfortable. There is at least 1 metre on both sides of a King size single bed. Enough for a small desk on one side, and room for a suitcase on the other. Easily able to move around, so I was pleasantly surprised. I stayed for 9 nights and was sorry to leave. Reading room, with it's pastries, fruit, coffee & tea were much appreciated. Breakfast was limited to cereals, toast,fruit, and hard-boiled eggs (cold by the time I got to them unfortunately) - but entirely adequate and tasty. Kitchen staff were most obliging and pleasant to deal with. Coffee could have been hotter - that's my only complaint! Wonderfully close to Grand Central Terminal - make use of the subway. Would happily stay there again. Thanks to all staff - especially Johnny, the doorman. Very obliging and friendly young man!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed at the Library Hotel for 5 nights in March. The Library is conveniently placed in Midtown only a block from Grand Central Station and a short walk from the Theatre District and shopping. The hotel was slightly tricky to find, as the entrance is actually on 41st, just around the corner from Madison. We arrived late at night (after midnight) and the reception was staffed and helpful to two very tired travelers.

The Library theme of the hotel is great. The rooms are not large however they are more than adequate, beautifully decorated and very clean. The bathrooms are modern, functional and clean.

The staff at the Library are incredibly friendly and helpful and a real credit to the hotel. They obtained for us a reservation for dinner at a lovely village restaurant on a busy and Saturday night; without the help of the Library staff we would never have gotten in for dinner. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

The Library included a continental breakfast with our package, which is available on the 2nd floor in an large and attractive room that looks down into Madison Ave. They offer a nice range of food and it was a great way to start the day. Complimentary drinks and canapes are offered to guests in the same room from 6 p.m. each night.

The Library is a great hotel and very deserving of their high rating and praise. We will certainly be back.

1  Thank Brett044
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed here for a week and spent 5 nights in a queen sized room, and then upgraded to a junior suite for the last 2, as we got married so though we would splash out!

The whole experience of staying at this hotel was just fantastic. The check in was really quick (important when you're tired), and the staff were always friendly and attentive. The rooms were lovely - we were in the Music room first and then the Love room (both our first choices). Both were much more spacious than I expected, very clean, and with lovely comfortable beds. The complimentary breakfast, snacks and wine and cheese were brilliant.

What made this hotel really stand out for me were how valued they made us feel as guests. So often in hotels you are met with rules or are constantly being asked for your room number and being charged for extras - whereas at the Library we really felt like we were special guests, and nothing we asked for was too much trouble. On our wedding day were given a bottle of prosecco and a card, which we really appreciated, and the staff that day couldn't have been more helpful - I am truly grateful.

I have only 2 minor gripes - firstly the housekeeping were a little bit too vigorous, and managed to throw away a bag of mine containing a couple of my things. Also, the laundry costs were too high in my opinion. However, these were minor and didn't hamper my enjoyment of our stay.

In summary, I can't wait to go back - such a lovely hotel and in such a central location, it really was the perfect place to enjoy our special trip.

2  Thank serap
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I stayed for six nights and had a great time. The hotel was clean and quiet and the staff was super helpful. Great central location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business