“overrated”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed here based on the TA reviews as my usual NY hotel was full. Whilst the hotel was perfectly adequate, the service was terrible, especially on the roof top bar, and the breakfast, whilst complementary, had a poor choice.

Not quite as perfect as described in many of the reviews!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Dear GloucestershireRich;

As the General Manager of the Library , I was deeply sorry to hear that you were so dissatisfied with the service on your recent stay. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in and wish to take immediate action to address whatever it was that displeased you. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and get any specific information you can share with us on what happened. Please feel free to email me at lenka@libraryhotel.com with your comments or with a phone number and best time to reach you. This kind of information is invaluable for any hotels that are committed to making guests feel happy and appreciated while they are in our care, and we thank the members of TripAdvisor for their time and insights.

Regarding the breakfast we serve as part of our 24/7 complimentary refreshments available in the Reading Room, as we indicate on our website, our breakfast includes Hard boiled eggs, yogurts, a selection of cereals, assorted Danish, scones, muffins and bagels, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and jams, fresh whole fruits and fruit salad, a selection of international coffees, teas and juices. Were any of these items unavailable during your stay, or were you expecting or hoping to find something else? Once again, your feedback is appreciated.

Lenka

Reviewed 5 May 2011

Would totally stay here again. I think they are seeing quite a bit of business, which makes you wish the hotel was your little secret as far as availability and crowd. But I can't complain that they have a lot of customers, can I? Staff Always had something nice to say, do, or offer ~~~ even with the hotel completely full, we didn't feel like just 'one-more client'. This trip was a big deal for us, as a very special anniversary. We paid for/got one of the special rooms, and it was lovely. Put 4 stars for value because in fact it was on the expensive side I'd say? - but with all The Library's loveliness and p & q's in order -- we couldn't help but feel satisfied and so it was a 'fair' exchange. Maybe bump it to 4 and half stars. What would be worse than deciding to pay more for a hotel and getting no happiness for it??

Loved the location, loved the staff, loved the goodies (breakfast, snacks, public spaces to unwind and enjoy a drink and such). Loved the 2 water bottles in room to begin each new day with. Always felt like our room was clean. I get the skiv'vies staying in hotels ~~~ and this one gave me Not One Yuck feeling :)

Not sure how how each room at the hotel fares? Might not be great. NYC is loud, - sleep quality a wee affected. I don't know how thick their windows are? --but heck, you want fresh air sometimes too, so idk ----

All in all New York was a ball ~~~ and right this very minute I wish I were back there, and each night spending it at The Library !

Room Tip: last minute planning may not be a good idea ~~~~~
1  Thank TwoMakesSix
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I chose this hotel based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews it received on TripAdvisor. While my stay here was nice, it was certainly not a 5-star experience. It was neither the best nor the worst stay that I have had in New York. I would rate my prior stays at the Millenium Broadway and Westin New York as comparable in overall quality, though those stays were available at a lower price point.

It is a stretch to describe this as a boutique hotel. My vision of a boutique hotel is a smaller establishment that provides luxury and modernity (e.g., Frette linens, Bose nightstands), a la Beacon XV in Boston. The Library Hotel is more comparable to the pensiones and small hotels at which I have stayed in Europe - rooms that are small and a little tired, somewhat limited amenities (in this case, no room service), with a free breakfast and good service to round out the overall experience.

The external view and common areas of the hotel are underwhelming / dated. This trip was to celebrate our anniversary, and we had booked a king bed junior suite. However, we were placed in a room that was decidedly smaller. The staff was accomodating about rectifying the request, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. The rooms were certainly clean, though the decor and linens were also a bit dated. From a tech standpoint, free internet was a plus, though the television was older and small. Based on the other TripAdvisor rankings, we were hoping for a special experience. Instead, we wound up with an ordinary one. We were indeed disappointed, not because this is a bad hotel but because it was mundane at best.

The breakfast was nice, though it is always misleading to call these things "complimentary." The costs are ultimately embedded in the room rates, right? There was no onsite/valet parking; rather, the hotel has a discounted rate with a parking lot on 39th St, 2 blocks away.

Pros:
- Friendly/helpful desk clerks/concierges
- Decent location

Cons:
- Dated decor, both in rooms and common spaces
- Have gotten a similar room/experience at a better price in many other midtown establishments.

Overall, I am struck by the incongruity of my ordinary experiences at this hotel and the otherwise glowing reviews it has received from others. It makes me wonder whether others have had such a largely divergent experience, or whether something more sinister in the filing of reviews has occurred. It makes me raise an eyebrow when all 4 of this proprietor's properties have somehow managed to achieve top 10 rankings in the NYC hotels on tripadvisor, especially when my own experience tells me that this particular hotel was ordinary at best.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bartleby
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

Dear Bartleby,

HKHotels has the most highly ranked hotels in the most popular destination in the USA on TripAdvisor because we are passionate about delighting every guest every day and we have developed a style of service that a great many travelers respond to in a very positive way. And yes, we have a lot of extra amenities included in the rate, and clearly, from our comments, we know that most people really enjoy that and they appreciate not being nickeled and dimed throughout their stay. Yes, occasionally, we miss the mark, as we have with you, and somehow you left without having experienced the charms others have previously been enchanted by. We will try to improve ourselves based on your comments. That doesn’t mean that the more than 1,000 real travelers who posted their opinions of the Library over the last 9 years should be diminished in any way. TripAdvisor is deeply committed to the integrity of this site which is why millions of travelers trust the members of TripAdvisor above other sources of information. We at HKHotels believe that there are no shortcuts and the key to success is to make the people in house with us today and everyday feel happy and appreciated.

We truly appreciate your honesty as we are always looking to improve and exceed guest expectations. Although we find that vast majority of our guests already love the unique personality and ambiance that the Library has to offer, inside and out, we agree that it is important to stay fresh. As a result we just replaced the carpeting in our Reading Room. The next step is to revamp bedding in all of our sleeping rooms, but it is essential for us to keep the feeling of comfort and coziness when our guests enter the room. We believe many contemporary style hotels lack this and that is why there are boutique hotels, so individual travelers can find the style that best suits their own personal tastes. However, we understand that this can be relative. We also want to take this moment to clarify that we do offer room service. If you could be so kind to advise us of where this misunderstanding came from, we could then look for ways to communicate this better to our guests. As far as our rates go, we believe our pricing falls well into the average rates being offered in NYC while the beautiful Beacon 15 is deservedly one of the priciest hotels in Boston. Please remember when comparing prices that we offer a great deal more amenities (valued at $210 per couple per night) than ordinary hotels such as free breakfast, free wifi and free 3 hour long wine and cheese receptions every evening. We know that we can’t be the perfect hotel for everyone, but we would like to try to be. If we are simply not your cup of tea, then we understand, but we would love for you to give us another chance in the future especially with our planned hotel upgrades, and if you decide you would like to take us up on that offer, please feel free to contact me directly. We hope to welcome you back!

_ Yogini Patel, Honorary Librarian: yogini@libraryhotel.com

Reviewed 3 May 2011

After reading all the reports on Trip Advisor we choose to stay in the Library Hotel. It was just perfect. Ideal location with lots of attention to detail. The Library theme is throughout the hotel and is very well done. Staff are excellent and greet you each time you return to the hotel. I cannot fault the staff in any way and they were so helpful in organising our theatre tickets and advising on trips. Their responses to my e mails were prompt and all my questions answered. The wine and cheese is a lovely touch which we both enjoyed. Wouldn't stay anywhere else now!

Reviewed 2 May 2011

In past trips to NYC we have stayed at the same hotel so on this visit we decided to try something a bit different and a lot smaller.

We chose the Library Hotel mainly due to size (only 60 or so rooms) and location (close to subway). Other benefits were free tea/coffee all day and the complimentary breakfast which we made use of 2 of the 4 days we stayed.

The rooms are small but so are most in New York. We had a Deluxe Room Queen which had ample space for the bed, us, a chair and our cases, strategically arranged. However, it didn't pose us an issue and it wouldn't prevent us from staying there again. At the end of the day, we're only in our room to sleep! The room was clean which is the most important thing and being on the 7th floor we didn't have an issue sleeping at night from traffic.

The breakfast was a continental but they had a good selection of cereals, breads, fruits, etc together with a choice of teas, coffees and fruit juices. We ate out 2 days as we do enjoy the cooked omlettes, etc that NY offers.

Friendly staff and a good selection of DVDs for those that wish to relax in the evenings. There is also a roof top bar where you can take a good book too (the hotel has 6,000+!) and enjoy a quiet drink.

Room Tip: Book early and take advantage of discounts on off.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We have just returned from 5 nights at Library Hotel for a city break. The hotel has the loveliest staff who are all so helpful and pleasant to deal with.
Our 1st room was on 3rd floor and there is a storm drain cover outside waiting to be replaced which does make a noise everytime someone drives over it. The following morning we asked to be moved to a higher room and were put on 9th floor which did reduce that specific noise - which of course the hotel can't do anything about. Both rooms were nicely decorated, extremely clean and well fitted out. You even get a turndown service with a weather forecast for the following day which is useful.
The reading room for breakfast and to be used as a lounge all day plus wine/cheese 5-8pm daily is a lovely space and very relaxing. We did have one cocktail in the bar on 14th floor, and again it is a nice space. Seems to be really popular with non-residents straight after work. We didn't eat in the restaurant on street level, Madison & Vine, but again it was always busy so must have a good reputation.
Can't recommend this hotel enough. Great experience.

Reviewed 28 April 2011

I travel a few times a year to NYC and have stayed at many great hotels. I wanted to try something new and decided to try the library hotel based on the many wonderful reviews on trip advisor. I reserved a junior king suite. After a long trip I arrived with my friend only to be told our room was not available as someone decided to extend their stay. We were downgraded to a queen deluxe. $100 would be taken off my rate making the room $419. While breakfast and the wine & cheese hour were a nice touch I would have much rather stayed a the W or a Kimpton and paid for the extras to actually have the room I booked and paid for. I have never been downgraded before usually the opposite. This trip was planned well in advance and a lot of thought went into choosing our hotel. I am sad because I was hoping this was going to be my new favorite hotel to stay in NYC, it was not.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank Opus1234
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear Opus1234,

We regret to have learned that your experience with us at the Library Hotel was not all that you hoped for. Our goal is always to exceed guests expectations and it’s never easy to hear that we were unable to do so. The guests in the room that you were due to check into became extremely ill and were unable to travel or even move to another room. This forced us to place you in a different room category. A situation like this rarely occurs and we truly apologize that we weren’t able to offer you the Junior Suite. We would relish the opportunity to show you the level of service we have built our reputation on if you would be kind enough to consider staying with us at the Library again. If you did at least enjoy the staff and the breakfast and wine and cheese receptions, we would be grateful if perhaps you considered one of our sister properties, such as the Hotel Giraffe or the Hotel Elysee in NYC. On that occasion, we hope to make our hotels your favorite in NYC.

_ Yogini Patel, Honorary Librarian: yogini@libraryhotel.com