“Great Hotel”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Great New York hotel. Outstanding hotel staff..one of the best I have encountered. My room was was small but well appointed. Great bed sheets. Fantastic location. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 29,501,102
Write a ReviewReviews (4,254)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I can echo everyone's positive reviews of the Library Hotel. Located on the corner of Madison and 41st, it is one block from the public library in one direction, and one block from Grand Central Station in the other direction. Starbucks is across the street. Even within easy walking distance of all that, the hotel has a peaceful, calm, intimate atmosphere.

My petite single room was tiny, but in a good way: cozy and snug. It was not the literature room I had requested, even though I booked months in advance, but it was everything I needed. The complimentary robes, slippers, hair dryer made my own packing much easier. The bathroom fixtures of dark wood with tan and gray ceramic tiles complemented the library theme perfectly. Stylish and modern without being pretentious or fussy. They take the "no smoking" policy seriously, so you can count on your room smelling fresh and clean. I appreciated that very much.

The noise was definitely an issue in early January. Just outside the hotel there was an ill-seated manhole cover. Every time a vehicle came down the street (and this is a main thoroughfare to Grand Central), clang-clang-BOOM, clang-clang-BOOM -- all day and all night. This is a serious issue, but clearly not the hotel's fault.

And the little things made up for it. The room amenities were important to me (the robe, the slippers, the umbrella, the dvd player). The 24 hr complimentary snacks on the 2nd floor (cookies and pastries) were very thoughtful. I was always still out in the city during the wine and cheese hours, but I'm sure they were wonderful as well. The continental breakfast buffet offered cereals, fruit, pastries, bagels, juices, coffees. I used the business center on the 2nd floor to check email and print my boarding pass.

There are no coffee makers in the rooms, though I understand you can request one, so I had to forego my evening hot chocolate, but the 24 hr availability of snacks made up for it. And no ice machines are accessible to guests, but when I called for a bucket of ice, as I did every evening, it arrived in two minutes. As many reviewers have mentioned, the staff are excellent: professional and caring. I parked a group of young adults I was traveling with at a different hotel, and when they checked in, they heard a lot of "no." When I checked in, I heard a long list of "yes."

Several people have mentioned the sites located near the hotel: Empire State Building (34th & 5th), Bryant Park (behind the public library), Times Square (7th & 40s), St Patrick's Cathedral (5th & 50th). But to get to the Metropolitan Museum or other attractions on the upper east side "museum mile," catch the M1, M2, M3, or M4 bus on Madison and get off anywhere between 79th and 86th streets. Use your metro card or pay $2.25 in quarters. To get back to the hotel, take the same bus numbers coming down 5th Ave, get off at the public libary, and walk one block to the hotel on Madison.

After a day of sightseeing, this is a lovely hotel to come home to.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2012

New York is a very tiring city, the noise, the walks and the visits to museums all take a large amount of energy which needs to be replenished by large meals which needs to be digested which takes large amounts of energy etc..

In order to stay sane and healthy one needs a place to rest and to restore the balance. The Library hotel is such a hotel: not too "American", not too overdone but just right in terms of price / comfort, rooms are quit and the restaurant, breakfast room and bar are all very welcoming. We found the hotel an example of how it should be done and many other hotels should have a look at this little gem. We will certainly return!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulMontjustin
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The library hotel truly went above and beyond in my recent trip to New York city. From check in to check out, the service was efficient, discreet and attentive.

Nothing seemed too hard for hotel staff, and on top of that, the staff did not seem 'pushy' or outwardly obvious about tipping for any service provided.

My petite double room (asian culture theme) was spotlessly clean, with no toiletries missing and the staff even managed to get a second shoe shining kit up to my room (before I entered the room) after overhearing me mention that I was flying out the next morning and needed to tidy up my business shoes - if that isn't attention to detail, I don't know what is.

One slight criticism of my particular room would be that some of the furniture seemed a bit on the older side, with some visible chip marks, dents and deep scratches on the bedside furniture and cupboards; but nothing to warrant requesting a room change. The front desk even conduct a courtesy call once you are settled in to deal with any details such as this that may require a room change.

After seeing a broadway show, I returned to the hotel late (11:30 p.m.) and forgot that I had not organised airport transportation. Tim, the front desk manager at the time, completely organised my transfer, even dealing with payment and the printing of onward travel details. Even though he was due to change shifts at midnight, he stayed on until 12:15 a.m. making sure that I had a booking and was organised for onward travel!

Also noteworthy was the wine and cheese reception, all day snacks and continental breakfast. The food was presented well, of good quality and readily replenished - and considering this is at no extra cost (as opposed to some other executive style lounges requiring an additional fee) - the hotel stacks up well in terms of value for any type of traveller.

All in all, a very well rounded hotel, with attentive and professional staff that always go the extra mile. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveller, both in terms of value, service and location.

Room Tip: As long as you ask for a room that is away from the elevator opening, you will get a good sleep rega...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Taylor B
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The Library is an excellent hotel with everything you could want plus lots of lovely extras like free breakfast and a great rooftop bar. Its in a great location if you like to be in the middle of all the tourist attractions. Its a bit dull in terms of local life and bars - you'd be much better off in Soho or Greenwich for that and there are no views. But its location makes it so easy to get to tourist attractions such as Empire State, Rockafeller Centre and Grand Central Station as well as all the shops on Fifth Avenue. The staff are excellent - nothing is too much trouble and they are friendly, courteous and show an interest in you and your holiday. We had one issue with our hotel safe that was sorted immediately by a happy and smiling maintenance man. They booked us cars and checked our restaurant reservations - nothing was too much trouble. The complimentary breakfast provided was great and the two ladies that managed the service there were fantastic. The bar at the top of the hotel is really cute with great cocktails. So the food in the restaurant was great albeit the wine by the glass was more expensive than I'd have expected. Overall I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penmaenmawr2
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Library this Fall and were very comfortable. We returned the week before Christmas with our two sons (9 and 15). We booked a 'family' unit that consisted of rooms 1005 and 1006 accessible by a common, secure hallway. The smaller of the rooms had a queen bed, bath, armoire and the other was a 'suite' with a king bed, sitting area with pull-out sofa, larger TV and a great view of Madison and NY public library.
LOCATION . . . The Library is in midtown, central to so much - Grand Central (for getting to the subway), NYPL and Bryant Park and Times Square. Family-friendly restaurants (Pershing Square, O'Casey's) are within a block.
STAFF . . . All of the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Maintenance fixed a hot water issue within 20 minutes, housekeeping was prompt and efficient and Carmen and the rest of the staff in the sitting room were kind and helpful.
Billy greeted us upon check in, and was an extremely helpful and friendly resource during our stay. He was so kind to my youngest son, indulging his myriad questions with a smile. In hospitality, the front end employees make all the difference, and Billy was that guy.
Stay here for the location, decent rates, quality staff.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ambient NY street noise. Bring earplugs if this might bother you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank detroitmom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed at the Library Hotel over Christmas and it was a true delight. Even before I arrived in New York, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. I contacted Timothy regarding my booking and arrival and my queries and requests were dealt with efficiently and with great charm.

My room was a petite single and couldn't have been more comfortable. A great nights sleep, a good bath and shower and plentiful supply of fluffy white towels. A coffee maker was arranged for my room too which was a very nice touch.

The breakfasts were super with delicious fruit salad, yoghurts, bread and pastries and good selection of beverages and juices.

The staff are what make this hotel extra special though. Everyone from the doorman through to room service were helpful, efficient, charming and went the extra mile to make my stay comfortable and memorable. I would highly recommend this superb hotel and look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo