“Lovely boutique in great location”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Excellent location near Grand Central - at Madison and 41st. The service is top notch - welcoming and helpful. I enjoyed the included morning breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception in the Reading room. Free wi-fi, bottled water and rooms with nice amenities. As with other hotels in New York, rooms are not large - however, it was well designed. Of all the New York hotels I've stayed at, this is my new favorite.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 August 2013

The location of this hotel is just perfect. Grand Central Terminal and the 42nd St Subway station are only a 2 minute walk from the front door. Likewise, Times Square and all the Broadway theatres are an easy 10 minute walk. Also, being located on the corner of Madison Ave, there is always a constant stream of available taxis (which I should point out are reasonably cheap by international standards), should this be preferred.

With the exception of one incident, the staff were excellent and always ready to go above and beyond to assist us. The concept of a library hotel is very novel (excuse the pun) and has been executed perfectly. Our room was a Deluxe King (medium size) and although reasonably small by our standards, it was more than enough for two people. We stayed for four nights and would have happily stayed four more. Being in the heart of NYC, there is a never ending list of things to see and do.

The included continental breakfast was nice, but unfortunately the breakfast bar is very limited. What was provided was good, but the range was small. For the exorbitant room rates being charged, I would have expected a little more. That being said, the 'Reading Room' where breakfast is served is lovely.

Daily housekeeping worked well and the two complimentary bottles of water each day were appreciated. Wi-Fi is also complimentary, however we found the bandwidth and signal strength to be shocking. Granted we were in a corner room on an upper floor, but we were struggling to get even one bar of wifi reception in our room (same result with four different devices) and when we did, there was hardly any bandwidth. We tried using the computers in the business centre, only to encounter the same shockingly slow internet. This was very disappointing for us and is definitely something which could be improved upon.

Some other quick points of constructive criticism: 1) There was no hand wash in the bathroom, only your standard bar of soap. A simple anti-bacterial hand wash dispenser would go a long way. 2) Although the 'automatic' mini-bar is a great idea, it defeats the point of having a fridge in the room as we were unable to use it to store our own items which needed refrigerating, and 3) The elevators looked and felt very old. Although this gives some class and history to the hotel, they felt like a death trap.

Overall, the hotel was clean and modern, the service was good and the location was perfect. It was a bit pricey, but it was a fantastic experience and I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bizstice
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Bizstice,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m so thrilled to hear you took advantage of our central location, and that overall you had a fantastic experience. Listening to reviews like yours is an opportunity to better the hotel and our services. I want to take a moment and comment on the issues you encountered so future travelers are in-the-know. First and foremost, the complimentary wi-fi, by all means is one of the most important amenities we include to all of our guests and we know it is essential that it is easily accessible and reliable. We are currently in the midst of a project to double the routers on every floor which should ensure a better signal and faster connection for every guest. Secondly, I want to express that if there is anything you need as our guest, or any wish or desire during your stay, to please make it known so we can make it happen for you. We had not heard anyone request the anti-bacterial gel nor have I seen this yet at other hotels, but we will keep your suggestion on hand in case this turns out to be something our guests should want. Actually, we are in the midst of discussing the possibility of eliminating the minibars in favor of empty refrigerators. If there are any travelers who would like to comment on this, your feedback would be most appreciated. Just send me a comment via TripAdvisor, Facebook, or via email address below. In the meantime, we have several empty mini refrigerators available on request, so I have already made a note on your guest profile to have that in your room for your next visit. TripAdvisor travelers, when you’re making your reservation on our website we have many options to customize your stay, and by the way, please enjoy our TRIP special offer code for a great deal.

Finally, we are so proud of our historic 1912 building and all of its beautiful architecture which does come with some quirks, like the elevators you mention. I can assure you our elevators are constantly maintained, inspected and meet all NYC regulations, while still holding the charm we so love!

Thank you again for your remarks; they are helpful insights. Should you or any other future guests have any questions or comments, you are welcome to contact me at Robert@libraryhotel.com.

Thanks and all the best,
Robert Rawlins
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Library Hotel. The staff is exceedingly helpful and friendly. Our room was comfortable and immaculate. I happily lingered in the reading room where the complimentary breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese are served. The Library Hotel is located within walking distance to Grand Central Station, the main New York Public Library, MoMa, Time Square, and Rockefeller Center. My partner and I look forward to staying again at the Library Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Wonderful, tastefully furnished hotel with top-notch staff. I also enjoyed the books in the room, the continental breakfast and coffee downstairs, the rooftop bar--all terrific. I would really give it 4 1/2 stars, only reason I wouldn't give it a 5 -tar rating is that I felt for the price, the room was bit small (but that isn't unusual for NYC).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I really enjoyed staying here, I had two stop over stays one coming and one going, both times they upgraded my room, which had a very comfortable bed, very clean. Bathroom was a good size, well stocked with good quality towels, bathrobes, slippers, toiletries etc. I loved the mirror in the bedroom, with points for hairdrying etc. I still fail to understand why so many expensive hotels do not have women in mind when they design dressing tables!

Breakfast was on the second floor, good selection of continental breakfast and all night tea and coffee, although I still much prefer tea making facilities in my room which they do not offer, as I was jet lagged I had to make very early morning visits to the second floor however the coffee machine was excellent and it was nice the facility was there. Complimentary papers are plentiful not that you are short of anything to read here with all the amazing books on every shelf.

Wine and cheese served here early evening.

I used the hotel restaurant for lunch and dinner and felt the food was good value for money and a good standard. Service was excellent.

I also used the bar which is not quite such good value for money, 6 glasses of house wine (although good quality came to nearly 90 dollars). We all drank different colours so not able to buy a bottle sadly. Nevertheless the service was excellent and although the bar is quite small it is comfortable and relaxed. Just over the road there is an excellent wine merchant should you want to take wine back to the room, much cheaper than the mini bar. However water is complementary which is a nice touch.

I thought the staff were incredibly polite and efficient, very helpful. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would definitely consider going back to it.

Location is excellent and is very close to some major attractions and Grand Central Station. They provide a taxi service to and from airports if you require it. Ask for Jose.

Staff were friendly in a very genuine way and the front desk staff were very helpful in providing maps and advice etc regarding all the big sites. They also had various vouchers for discounts at some attractions so may be worth mentioning to the staff when you arrive where you planning to visit.

The website provides all the information regarding the hotel. Each room has a theme. When booking you could request a particular theme and they will try to accommodate you. Buffet style breakfast is excellent and included in the price. A wonderful point about this hotel is that they offer complementary wine and cheese in the reading room in the late afternoon/early evening. It’s wonderful to come back to after a busy day sight seeing and it recharges you for the evening.

My girlfriend and I stayed in a queen sized room which was roomy enough for us. The room was lovely with lots of interesting and a very beautiful bathroom. Room included complementary water and also had a TV with DVD player. Hotel also had Wi-Fi.

A real gem of a hotel. Something a bit different and gets all the basics right. Very impressed and recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is a small hotel filled with wonder. I loved the well-appointed room, the impeccable service, the breakfast and, of course, the wine and prosecco in the afternoons. There is also a terrace where you can enjoy your morning coffee before the evening crowds make it a bit noisy, but still pleasant to visit and enjoy a drank. If you are lucky enough to find an available room on your next visit to NYC, try to book early enough and prepay, this way you can save considerable money. The location could not be better because you are close to so many attractions and everything is extremely well-kept, very clean. Very, very nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo