“Nov/Dec 2013”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have been waiting a long time to stay at the library hotel and was very excited to have the opportunity to come for Thanksgiving with a stay of 7 nights. The library hotel is a great concept and is beautifully done with community reading rooms and quaint guest rooms. I love the 24 hour tea and cookies in the lounge. The Madison and Vine restaurant attached is sensational, so please go!

I would be a repeat customer to the Library Hotel (as I live in Manhattan and love to hotel-ation) if it weren't for a couple of huge disappointments at the end:

1. This stay was a gift to me from my boyfriend (who did not accompany me). There needed to be at least 4 calls at the beginning of my stay to confirm that he could indeed give his credit card information to reserve my spot, as different employees said different things to both my boyfriend and I regarding whose credit card it could go on. At the end of the stay, I confirmed that my incidentals could be charged to my boyfriend's credit card on file. The person at the desk said that for incidentals (but apparently not for hotel stays) he needed to come in person to show his ID to be charged. So, my boyfriend drove in all the way from Brooklyn (which is about an hour away) to pay for the incidentals so that I could leave the next morning hassle free and paid up. Not so. When I came to check out the following morning, the "booking manager" told me that there was a $400 incidental fee which had not been paid, when my boyfriend showed me a payed receipt of $400 incidentals the previous night. We both got on the phone with my boyfriend, who had to pay $400 all over again so I could just get out of there. The charge will be disputed later. The manager kept telling me that the bill could not be payed the previous night and the person that charged it was wrong. He basically would not let me leave without paying the exact charge again. As this was being discussed, a nosy "librarian" came out to listen in and smirk.

2. There is a "complimentary" list of items one can borrow from the hotel. Among these are 'sleep headphones" which have a mini music player attached. Apparently in the LH computer system, it is documented which "complimentary" items are received, as at check-out, the man asked me where the headphones were (as if I knew I was supposed to bring them down). He then sent the bellman up to my room to check that they were indeed there before I could leave, which I found insulting and humiliating. The hotel should communicate to guests that they are expected to bring their "complimentary" items down at checkout. I would much rather be billed if the item was missing then have the bell boy go up and check if the item is there before I can leave, as if I am a shoplifter, which leads well into #3.

3. The third and very most disturbing part of my stay is the disappearance of my beloved jewelry I got on vacation to Tibet years ago, which are pretty much the most precious things I own. I took a gold and diamond nose ring out when I was washing my face and put it in a glass cup next to the sink in the bathroom. I also put my ring there. When the horrific realization came that I left these items in a glass at the hotel, I called them immediately. I was told by the woman on the phone that sometimes left items are recorded in the "found" book in the hotel (by the maids) and sometimes they are not. She told me that there was no record of any found items from my room. (Now, just one thought: why would a maid not write about an item in the "found" book? Convenient, huh?) I am absolutely certain that the ring and nose ring were in a glass cup in the room, which could not have gone unnoticed. Apparently because there is such a lax system of writing found items down sometimes and sometimes not, the employees claimed there was zero they could do to help me when I called panicked about my jewelry. I am still waiting for the outcome. During my stay, I tipped the 2 cleaners I personally met $20 each, which makes the possible theft that much more disgraceful. I am aware that the library hotel is small, but that is no excuse for not having a straight record system and call roster for missing items and urgent cases within the hotel. The fact that my jewelry was not recorded and the fact that i was not immediately given a call about it is dishonest.

My boyfriend meets with clients from all over the world regularly for business here in NYC. Neither him nor I will ever recommend this hotel for these reasons.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Natalie R
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Natalie R,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. I am glad that we had the time to talk this morning and that you are pleased with your stay overall and looking forward to a return visit. Your comments have given us an opportunity to review our procedures to see if anything can be modified to make them clearer for our guests.

1. First, please allow me to explain the charges. Your situation was unusual and yes, I am sorry it did take several calls to arrange for the requested pre-payment of your stay because there were so many changes to your reservation. Initially, your booking was made for three nights and your boyfriend’s card was charged the appropriate amount. The very next day you made a second call and extended your stay for three nights and so we charged your boyfriend’s card for the additional nights. Then, later that afternoon a third call was made to a third Guest Service Agent asking to add one more night, and the change was made to the reservation. However, room and tax was not pre-paid for that additional night so it was left to be charged at check-out. There must have been some miscommunication when you confirmed how your boyfriend was going to pay for your remaining incidentals as we would never inconvenience anyone to come in person in order to provide photo ID. We charge credit cards from all around the world on a daily basis so when a guest is not physically present to agree to the charges, we simply ask them to fill out a credit card authorization form. We are surprised that this option was not offered to him as this is our standard procedure. On the day before your departure, your boyfriend paid for all charges to date, including incidentals. The next day when you checked out, we charged the final night and additional incidental charges after securing your boyfriends approval. Perhaps you were thinking this was an error because the amount he paid one day prior was similar to what he was charged at check out, but this was just a coincidence. I can see how it may have been confusing, particularly with two different people reviewing the bill separately at different times. We apologize for the confusion and as a result we will now revert to our previous practice of having all advance payments described clearly in writing on a credit card authorization form as opposed to posting charges on request made over the phone.

2. We hope you enjoyed the complimentary sleep phones during your stay. They cost us over $100 since they include the special headphones and a pre-programmed iPod shuffle. Our staff is trained to explain that we place a temporary $100 fee to your bill that is removed once the sleep phones are returned. However, guests that fall in love with the sleep phones can absolutely keep them and pay the $100 charge. We hope our guests enjoy them and think of us when they use them. Perhaps the Guest Service Agent felt you wanted to remain at the desk until the situation was resolved? Clearly, he should have asked if you preferred to wait while the sleep phones were retrieved from your room or have the adjustment occur after your departure. Also, we are going to make a printed card that guests can initial, which will ensure everyone understands they have to option to keep the sleep phones or return them. If it was not explained to you clearly we apologize and we will do all we can to prevent that from being a problem for future guests.

3. I am sorry that you lost your jewelry and very sorry we could not find it for you. Our housekeepers regularly find personal belongings left by guests and place them in our locked lost and found safe. Items are logged at the time they are found but if something is found after regular business hours, that item would be logged the following morning by our housekeeping manger. It is rare, but this does happen. After you checked out at approximately 2pm, the room was cleaned by 4pm, the next guest was checked in by 6pm, and you called to report the lost items at 10:45pm. I think there may have been a slight misunderstanding when you spoke to our Guest Service Agent about your jewelry. Because you called at a late hour, the Guest Service Agent was right when she told you that she could not open the safe without the Housekeeping Manager present and could not re-inspect the room since it was occupied. I hope in time you will find it in your heart to be fair and realize that although you said the jewelry was in plain sight, you did pack and leave without it, so you must agree it’s possible it was lost at some other point during the week. I completely sympathize and understand how you feel but our staff members have been with us for many, many years. I have full faith in their integrity and to be fair, they should not be accused of stealing when we do not know how it was lost. We will continue to keep our eyes open for it and we will contact you immediately if it turns up.

If anyone has any questions regarding this review or any of our procedures, I welcome you to contact me. I can be reached at 212-204-5410 or Robert@libraryhotel.com

All the best,
Robert Rawlins

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at The Library for a week over Thanksgiving. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much bother. The hotel was friendly and homely. The breakfast and evening cheese and wine reception were a lovely touch. Thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to return soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I often wait up to 8-10 weeks before I write a review. When you get home from a great holiday, life returns to normal and you are back in your work routine, you forget the forgettable and think perhaps it wasn't that great after all. Not with the Library Hotel and my husband and I think it is as wonderful now as it was 2-9 October 2013!

We had the perfect trip to New York and our choice of hotel made it super special. We stayed in Room 1005. Yes, the rooms are not overly spacious but they are laid out very well and have everything you need. Housekeeping come twice a day and the turndown service is a lovely touch. Beautiful bathroom, very comfortable bed, ample wardrobe space, TV, minibar, quiet - just what you want to come back to after a day wandering the city, and we did lots of that! Thank you Tim for organising the bubbly on arrival - perfect start to my birthday!!

The Library was simply home as soon as we arrived and we loved returning every evening after a hectic day out. The cheese, wine and bubbles for guests 5pm to 8pm every night was the perfect touch either before or after getting ready for dinner - a lovely start to the evening.

The breakfasts were perfect. Access to that coffee machine 24/7 was great! The bagels were fab - especially toasted. Fruit, yoghurts, eggs, toast, juice - all lovely quality and plenty of everything. I loved the room they served the breakfast and cheese and wine in - The Library Room - great for breakfast and loved the comfort of checking e-mails etc. over a lovely coffee.

The staff, every one of them, amazing! Tim and Justine helped me so much before we even got there and during our entire stay. We met Billy on our first evening and he too looked after us for the entire week. All of the staff were wonderful and I wish I remembered all their names so I could thank them all. Nothing is too much trouble.

I would return in a heartbeat and we will on our next visit to New York. T&Mxx

Room Tip: We had a corner room away for the lift on a high floor - tip we picked up on the reviews here and it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beany6567
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I were given a gift certificate for the Library Hotel by our children to celebrate out 50th anniversary. It turned out to be a wonderful gift, as we enjoyed everything about the hotel and our stay in NYC.

In order to stretch our stay to four nights, we looked for off-peak timing (November) and booked a Petit room. The room proved to be small (no surprise) but ample for our needs, very nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable.

From the first, the staff were without exception friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the wire and cheese each evening (5 to 8) and the continental breakfast each morning.

Most of the time the room was relatively quiet. The exception was Saturday morning, when a very large crane was erected in the street right outside our window. We didn't mind, and found the whole process fascinating. By the end of the day it had done its job and gone.

The location of the Library Hotel on 41st at Madison Avenue suited us very well. We arrived by train to Grand Central, a two block walk. Despite what we heard, we found various enjoyable restaurants in Midtown within easy walking distance. We walked to the Rockefeller Center and to a play at the Cort Theatre, and also to the High Line and Times Square. And of course various subway lines are within a few blocks. We also enjoyed exhibitions at the NY Public a Library, just a block away.

We are looking forward to our next trip to NYC, as we have found it to be just about the friendliest city we've visited. And the Library Hotel played its part in our experience. Love to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind small, the petit rooms are very comfortable and save money.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

If your looking for a quiet retreat in midtown Manhattan, this is the place. Great location, attentive staff, and comfort and convenience abound in this unique establishment that lends a new definition to boutique hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Giraffe - the sister hotel to Library. Giraffe is much closer to what the hotel line (The Library Collection) promises. The staff at both are friends, and the general set-up (re: room service, meals, rooms, hotel energy, premise) are the same. But, Giraffe does it better. This hotel is in a great location if you like the shopping on Madison Avenue and Park Avenue. But, there was just something missing. They seem to be trying to fill the void between boutique hotel and luxury line. They are not hitting it exactly as needed. Meaning, this is a very clean, kind hotel. Just not the wonderful "library" experience they tout.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jonathan1776
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Jonathan1776,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry if we in any way fell short of fulfilling the experience you anticipated. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you offline to see where the expectation and reality may not have been a match. If you could share any details on what we could do in the future to ensure that we exceed your expectations, we would certainly be grateful.

As much as we would love to be the perfect hotel for everyone, we also recognize that every traveler has different requirements and depending on what you are looking for, our small hotel may not be the right fit for your needs. However, if there is something we can address, we would be pleased to. We embrace this opportunity to connect with the TripAdvisor community in this way, as we regularly make genuine improvements to our service that are inspired by our guests insights.

I can be reached at robert@libraryhotel.com and I look forward to speaking with you further.