“Super small but super service and equally quaint”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We knew that New York hotels had notoriously small rooms. But this one still took us a little by surprise. I'm not a small man myself, so the room we had required some creative shuffling around in order to make it work for us. That said, it was a minor glitch in the Matrix.

The property itself, including the room, is really adorable. Very clean, with an attention to detail that you would normally reserve for 5* hotels. We found the two people at the front desk were VERY professional and just as friendly as they were efficient at their craft. They had quick responses to my many questions, and always with an authentic smile.

While we only had a few nights at the hotel, we wanted to make sure we got a sense of the real NY too, and asked to send us to more local establishments, etc... which they kindly obliged. It made our NY long weekend that much more real and enjoyable.

Being steps from 5th Ave., we also had to take in the usual touristy things, shopping, being one. It's nice to be able to walk back when you're done... and that it's so conveniently close. Times Square was a little further - but still walkable for those more inclined. Cabs were always at the ready though - so you have options.

The food in the attached restaurant was absolutely delicious!!! We don't normally eat at the hotels and prefer to explore a little further from our temporary home base... but we made an exception after the description from the front desk clerk. In fact, we were sold on the restaurants take on French fries.... and let me tell you, they are AMAZING! We ended up having more on our last day before we left. Don't miss out... ;-)

We'll be back here one day... it's a no-brainer. I just might ask for a 'full-size' room instead ;-)
But don't let that stop you... it's worth it.

Enjoy!!!

David & Mandy
Ottawa, Canada

Room Tip: Maybe ask for something a little larger than their standard rooms. And higher up with a partial vie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from 2 nights at this lovely hotel and it did not disappoint. Charming & meticulously clean with so many nice touches included in the rate; continental breakfast with espresso & cappuccino in the morning, wine & cheese/crackers in the evening, water/coffee & light refreshments available 24/7 plus a later then usual checkout of 1p. Fantastic midtown location close to Grand Central station & within walking distance to Rockefeller Ctr, Times Sq etc but out of the fray. And as many TA reviewers have said, the staff is exceptional. Everyone we encountered; front desk, doormen, cleaning staff, lovely servers in the reading room etc. provided friendly, efficient & professional service. Honestly haven't been this impressed in a long time. Kudo's to the management team as well-customer service is clearly a high priority here. We will definitely be staying here on our next visit and have already recommended this hotel to others.

As an added note, we live in PA and we were hesitant about driving into the city but it could not have been easier. Hotel is ideally located only about a miles drive thru midtown, mostly a straight shot, plus we timed it to come thru the Lincoln Tunnel around 11sh on a Fri. (we had been told that was our best bet for arriving during a weekday). Dropped off our bags & then headed to the discounted parking garage which is only a couple of blocks away on 39th st. (get your parking ticket validated by the hotel to get the discounted rate $30 for 24 hrs-extra for larger vehicles). We left Sun midday and it was a repeat-easy in & out. Understand we got lucky with no major traffic issues but if you've driven in city traffic and you can avoid commuter hours should be fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Having looked at many other hotels the small, boutique-style of the Library Hotel was what appealed to us. From initial contact to leaving last Tuesday, the service we received was more than excellent and every member of staff we came into contact with behaved in a very courteous, warm, friendly and professional manner. Our daughter got married on the rooftop last Saturday and all arrangements were dealt with so discreetly and efficiently down to the area being cleaned and cleared of snow! We were recommended to a wonderful restaurant for dinner after the ceremony and this was also booked for us. Other places were recommended during our stay and one member of staff even managed to rescue a copy of Saturday's NY Times I'd requested the day after the wedding as I thought this would be a fitting memento of the day and our first trip to New York! An incredibly relaxing place to stay, thank you to all those we came into contact with. We loved every minute and are still buzzing! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Our 'petite' room was more than adequate. My daughter managed to have her wedding hair and m...
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just returned from a four night stay.This hotel in the centre of the city must be one of the best I have ever stayed in, and I've stayed in many! The location is perfect, the hotel itself is perfect for those wanting a stylish yet low key centre from which to explore the city. All of the staff are beyond helpful, always attentive without being too ingratiating. The rooms are divine, beautifully designed as are all the public rooms. We loved the rooftop poetry conservatory and the relaxed and informal dining room. We also loved the free champagne we found in the room along with flowers and a card for my birthday. Thank you everyone at The Library, we will be back soon as will many of our friends!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are book genre themed. Take your pick from romance to 20th century history.
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had been planning my proposal for months - trying to create the perfect evening in NYC for my intended. When choosing a hotel for the evening, I relied pretty heavily on sites such as TripAdvisor to make my choice. Upon reading some of the reviews for the library, I decided to look into it. Shortly after visiting their website, it was clear that this was the right choice and it's the best decision I could have made. From the moment I made the reservation, I found the staff to be highly attentive and professional. However, once I told a member of the staff that I would be getting engaged on premises, I quickly learned how personable the "librarians" really are. Constant contact via e-mail and phone assured me that as the date approached I would not be disappointed. When I arrived to check in, I was not at all surprised that the two members who helped check me in (whom I had not previously spoken to) were well aware of my plan - and clearly very excited to be a part of it. They readied my room, arranged for a car to drive us around the city, delivered flowers and champagne to the room, and made me feel like I was their top priority. Everything was perfect - the room was immaculate and beautiful, and of course, she said yes (actually, she said "absolutely"). The view from our room (the "love" room) is also worth mentioning as it was breathtaking, and the complimentary breakfast is excellent. I could not have asked for a better experience, and the library has assured itself two lifelong guests. We will have many anniversaries to celebrate, and we are looking forward to doing so in our new favorite place with the lovely librarians.

Room Tip: The love room is our only point of reference, but it was wonderful. The best hotel room either of us...
1  Thank Vinny H
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Library. We had 3 petite rooms which were very well appointed in every respect. Bed linen , top notch, bathrooms high quality and well designed. Quality fixtures and fittings.
The staff without exception were welcoming helpful and pleasant.
The location on Madison and 42 nd street was excellent.
The second floor bar where food and drink was always available with newspapers was perfect for meeting up before going out.Breakfast was a small selection of breads, bagels, cakes and beautiful fresh fruit and yoghurts, coffee etc and in the evening they have decent wine available and cheese and biscuits cakes etc.This is all included in the price of the room.
Couldn't fault any of it .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank imhonot
Reviewed 24 February 2014

you are our favorite hotel of all time. I informed every one on my christmas list and water aerobics class and yoga class and art class etc… etc… that you are our favorite hotel of all time, definitely the most gracious and comfortable. Thank you

PS my water aerobic instructor and her friend are planning on visiting you next August ;-)

Room Tip: we gave out more gratuities on this trip than any other.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends