“Excellent service, friendly staff.. Would definitely stay again”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toledo, Ohio, United States
“Excellent service, friendly staff.. Would definitely stay again”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms. Our room was petite with only a full bed but it was a great excuse to cuddle. Also, great breakfast (giant NYC bagels) to get you fueled for a fun day in the city. Best of all, complimentary 24 hour tea/coffee snacks available. This came in handy as a warm up to the cold weather. Staff were all extremely friendly.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very friendly service, cosy feeling. However, rooms are on the small side, air conditioning is noise and temperature regulation doesn't really work very well. Pillows are too hard. There are better beds in NYC. Overall a nice place but there is room for improvement.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 172albertot
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Alberto T,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor and for contacting me personally offline as well. Although we exchanged messages privately, I would also like to respond publicly for the benefit of other TripAdvisor members. We greatly appreciate feedback and we welcome the opportunity to use the guest perspective as we continue making improvements at the hotel.

I am so sorry to hear that the beds were not ideal for you. Providing a comfortable stay is one of our top priorities so I would like to apologize once again that the pillows and mattress in the room were too hard for your taste. We realize that pillow and mattress firmness is a very personal preference, which is why we offer our “Escape to Serenity” sleep program. The list of amenities is located in every room on either the desk or nightstand and offers a range of amenities that we are happy to deliver to your room including foam pillows, low-fill pillows, and a featherbed mattress topper. Because of your comment, we will try putting the card of options directly on the pillow so it will not be missed by our guests. I’m also delighted to share that we are currently in the process of a complete mattress replacement project and have already replaced the mattresses in many rooms. These new Serta Double Sided Pillowtop mattresses have been receiving many positive reviews so we are very excited to soon have them in all 60 rooms. The project should be completed by the end of 2014 but in the meantime, I’ve added to your guest profile your preference for a room with a new mattress or a feather mattress topper, and some low-fill feather pillows. Please let us know if there is anything else we can offer you to ensure you get a great night’s sleep every time you stay with us.

After receiving your email I notified our engineer of the issue you mentioned with the air conditioning unit. He double checked the entire unit in both of the rooms that you had reserved. He did not report anything unusual, but just in case we cleaned the filters and performed regular maintenance to help ensure the system is running optimally. Additionally, as a part of our “Escape to Serenity” sleep program we also offer items to help guests sleep including white noise machines, ear plugs, and SleepPhones which help block environmental sounds, if additional assistance is needed.

I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly service and cozy atmosphere and I would love to welcome you back in the near future so that you can give us another try. Please feel free to contact me personally at Robert@libraryhotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Robert Rawlins
Baltimore
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I've stayed here before for nearby business, and for weeks at a time, but this was our first visit for a pleasureful weekend and we brought a 2nd couple with us! My husband loves the New England feel of Bryant Park, and I like the side street location, and smaller boutique hotel feel. The thematic Library theme is very cool, the floor themes were also cool, the bookmarks were super cool, and was enjoyed and appreciated by all! Taxi's were easy to locate. Great staff. We enjoyed library upstairs/breakfast too!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sag Harbor, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Just returned from my second weekend stay at the wonderful Library Hotel in New York City. Will definitely return; have nothing bad to say it, so long as you don't mind rooms on the smallish side. Beautifully decorated small hotel a short distance from Grand Central Station, and within walking distance of shopping, wonderful restaurants, and the theater district. Rooms, albeit small, are stylish and immaculate with very comfortable beds, and the bathroom has all anyone needs and then some. But the best thing about the hotel is the wonderful service. My adult daughter and I arrived before the check-in time, but it was not a problem ... we were given a room right away and invited to relax from our trip in the second floor lounge, where delicious coffee, tea, and snacks are always available to guests, along with the latest newspapers. In this same room guests can eat a wonderful continental breakfast and get a wine and cheese refreshment at the end of the day. Even after we had checked out and had some time to kill before going home, we were invited to help ourselves to whatever we wanted in the lounge. There is also a cozy bar on the top floor with outdoor space, weather permitting, and a working fireplace. All of the staff have a wonderful attitude and clearly want guests to enjoy themselves. This has become the hotel I will always try to book when I travel to the city!

Room Tip: I have stayed twice at the hotel, in the same type of room with a queen bed. They differed materiall...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I spent 2 nights in this hotel during the summer of 2013. I was traveling on business. This is my favorite hotel in NYC. Each room has a different theme, like you'd find in different sections of your local library. I stayed in the architecture room (so every book in the room dealt with some aspect of architecture). This room was small but very comfortable. It had a very comfortable queen size bed, and although there wasn't much floor space around the bed, there was a built-in dresser in front of the bed and a nice closet near the bathroom. Thus, you could actually walk in the little floor space available rather than tripping over unpacked luggage. The bathroom was small but tastefully decorated -- as was the whole room. The building was quite and clean throughout.

Two features that greatly impressed me: first, the free breakfast every morning. This is a continental breakfast, so don't expect bacon and omelets, but the juice, fruit, bagels, coffee, and bread were more than enough for me. They also have a selection of cereal. I appreciate anything that is free and this is much better than the typical free hotel breakfast. Second, there is a lounge / bar on the room of the hotel. You can sit inside or outside and it is reasonably priced. It is a great place to hang out with friends or meet with clients. Finally, as an extra bonus, there is a Starbuck's coffee directly across the street. That's always a good thing in my book. The staff was very competent and friendly.

There is a restaurant on the first floor. My only issue is that my first night I arrived late, and the kitchen was closed (so much for the city that doesn't sleep). I walked across the street to an Irish pub, however, and had a great burger.

I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We knew that New York hotels had notoriously small rooms. But this one still took us a little by surprise. I'm not a small man myself, so the room we had required some creative shuffling around in order to make it work for us. That said, it was a minor glitch in the Matrix.

The property itself, including the room, is really adorable. Very clean, with an attention to detail that you would normally reserve for 5* hotels. We found the two people at the front desk were VERY professional and just as friendly as they were efficient at their craft. They had quick responses to my many questions, and always with an authentic smile.

While we only had a few nights at the hotel, we wanted to make sure we got a sense of the real NY too, and asked to send us to more local establishments, etc... which they kindly obliged. It made our NY long weekend that much more real and enjoyable.

Being steps from 5th Ave., we also had to take in the usual touristy things, shopping, being one. It's nice to be able to walk back when you're done... and that it's so conveniently close. Times Square was a little further - but still walkable for those more inclined. Cabs were always at the ready though - so you have options.

The food in the attached restaurant was absolutely delicious!!! We don't normally eat at the hotels and prefer to explore a little further from our temporary home base... but we made an exception after the description from the front desk clerk. In fact, we were sold on the restaurants take on French fries.... and let me tell you, they are AMAZING! We ended up having more on our last day before we left. Don't miss out... ;-)

We'll be back here one day... it's a no-brainer. I just might ask for a 'full-size' room instead ;-)
But don't let that stop you... it's worth it.

Enjoy!!!

David & Mandy
Ottawa, Canada

Room Tip: Maybe ask for something a little larger than their standard rooms. And higher up with a partial vie...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from 2 nights at this lovely hotel and it did not disappoint. Charming & meticulously clean with so many nice touches included in the rate; continental breakfast with espresso & cappuccino in the morning, wine & cheese/crackers in the evening, water/coffee & light refreshments available 24/7 plus a later then usual checkout of 1p. Fantastic midtown location close to Grand Central station & within walking distance to Rockefeller Ctr, Times Sq etc but out of the fray. And as many TA reviewers have said, the staff is exceptional. Everyone we encountered; front desk, doormen, cleaning staff, lovely servers in the reading room etc. provided friendly, efficient & professional service. Honestly haven't been this impressed in a long time. Kudo's to the management team as well-customer service is clearly a high priority here. We will definitely be staying here on our next visit and have already recommended this hotel to others.

As an added note, we live in PA and we were hesitant about driving into the city but it could not have been easier. Hotel is ideally located only about a miles drive thru midtown, mostly a straight shot, plus we timed it to come thru the Lincoln Tunnel around 11sh on a Fri. (we had been told that was our best bet for arriving during a weekday). Dropped off our bags & then headed to the discounted parking garage which is only a couple of blocks away on 39th st. (get your parking ticket validated by the hotel to get the discounted rate $30 for 24 hrs-extra for larger vehicles). We left Sun midday and it was a repeat-easy in & out. Understand we got lucky with no major traffic issues but if you've driven in city traffic and you can avoid commuter hours should be fine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple