“Location, location, location, and more”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent a lovely long weekend at the Library Hotel. I chose the hotel for its excellent location and because I'm a book lover. The service was friendly and attentive, our room ("Economics") was charming and very clean (always most important), and we appreciated the complimentary breakfasts and coffee on the 2nd floor. We dined twice at Madison & Vine, and had a pleasant, relaxing time on both occasions. We were glad to have a nice restaurant in the hotel when we arrived late on our first night and when we returned to the hotel, exhausted, after walking our feet off a few nights later. All in all, I would recommend this hotel highly. I had only one small criticism and that was that there was no sink in the washroom (it was just outside the door), which means one must wash one's hands in the tub or touch the doorknob before washing.
One other note, not a criticism, but a head's up for future guests: if you want a coffee maker in your room, you must ask to have one sent up. We didn't notice the card in our room that indicated this until our final day, so we got our morning coffees from the Starbucks across the street. Next time we stay, we'll request the coffee maker; it's always nice to have coffee in bed when you're on holiday.

2  Thank NatalielovesNYC
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear NatalielovesNYC,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I’m delighted to hear that you found our rooms charming and clean. From our housekeeping staff to our Front Desk Agents, one of our top priorities is to fulfill all of our guests’ needs so I am so pleased you found our service to be friendly and attentive. We always hope guests will take advantage of the 2nd floor Reading Room and all the complimentary amenities that we offer so I’m happy to hear you appreciated the refreshments and breakfast. Did you have a chance to join us for the evening wine & cheese reception? If not, you definitely must the next time you stay with us!

I sincerely apologize that the location of the sink was not where you expected. I completely understand how this could be inconvenient but because of the cozy layout of all our Petite Rooms, the sink is always separate from the bathroom. The good news is that this is only the case in our Petite Rooms; since the Deluxe Rooms and Junior Suites are a bit larger, they all have sinks inside the bathroom. I have made a note in your profile about your preference but would also suggest perhaps booking a Deluxe Room or Junior Suite if you stay with us in the future.

I have also noted in your profile a request for a coffee maker to be placed in room before you arrive. I completely agree that it’s nice to have coffee in bed especially when on holiday so I’m devastated that you didn’t see our “Escape to Serenity” list until your final day. Did you find that its location was not prominent enough? We always place the card on the table next to the bed but if it’s so easily missed, we may have to rethink its placement. I welcome any kind of additional feedback you may have regarding this so we can make sure future guests don’t encounter the same problem.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments at robert@libraryhotel.com We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Library Hotel again very soon!

All the best,
Robert Rawlins

Write a ReviewReviews (4,219)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife took me here as a surprise birthday present so I was not involve in the booking or know how much it cost. From what my wife was saying, she kept on emailing Tim with constant questions and request and he was more than helpful and replied very quickly.

The service from start to finish was impeccable and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Most live local and have a great knowledge of placed to go and see. I cannot remember the name of the bellboy, I think Alvin (forgive me if im wrong), but he was born and bred in NY and was so helpful and friendly it made the trip so must easier (you will know him if you meet him).

My wife upgraded the room to a deluxe because the hotel were very clear on the room sizes. They are not huge but more than enough for a couple sharing and lets face it, who stays in the room the whole trip when staying in New York.

The hotel was extremely clean and the maid service was spot on with a turn down service every night. The hotel offers free breakfast which is nice and fresh, they have a free cheese and wine evening everyday from 5-8, and a roof top bar which was very nice to have a couple of drinks in before going out.

I read a few reviews when I got back and please do not take notice of the bad ones, the WiFi speed was very good (I work in IT) and people moaning about the rooms need to read what they are booking. My wife said when she booked she was constantly reminded about the size of the rooms which in my opinion were not that small. Everything in the hotel complexity outweighs the room size. I read a few reviews that said the hotel decor was old, they must have had a refurb as this is defiantly not the case.

Overall, the staff could not help enough, the hotel has been decorated to a high standard and is very modern, and I would book again tomorrow if i were to go back to New York.

4  Thank Adam P
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Outstanding staff, excellent recommendations, lovely breakfast and happy hour, chilled bottle of Proseco upon arrival and amazing terrace! Oh, and then there's the books! A true gem...we'll be back. Soon.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Zennerama
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Library Hotel just hits it out of the ballpark. The location is great, the feeling is personal and the service is outstanding. The staff is wonderful (for example, got us last minute tickets for Raisin in the Sun which was sold out). Complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour are superb. There is no reason to stay anywhere else in NYC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2014

In March 2014 my daughter and I stayed two nights at The Library Hotel in NYC. We stayed in Room 1106 which was a large corner room with a small balcony. The view of Madison Avenue and the NY Public Library was stunning. The wine in the evening and the morning breakfast was great. What also impressed me was the friendliness of all the staff -- very quick with a smile and a hello and an overall positive attitude. There's wasn't a negative about this hotel -- all positive! I will definitely return to The Library Hotel when in NYC.

Room Tip: Room 1106 is large, quiet and has amazing view of Madison Avenue and the NYC Public Library.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dory92064
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Library Hotel offers reasonably priced, well-appointed rooms and bathrooms in a comfy and friendly atmosphere. Each room is named after a Dewey Decimal system category, such as Dinosaurs (my room) and stocked with books related to that subject matter, making for a fun and interesting reading diversion. The staff couldn't be more welcoming and courteous, making them an outstanding feature of this hotel.

Although the rooms are small, they are very well laid out and feel larger. They are stocked with all the amenities plus a mini-bar. A list of additional Escape to Serenity complimentary amenities such as hypoallergenic pillows, sleep accessories, and international adaptors is on the bedside table. My closet offered adequate hanging space with wooden hangers plus an umbrella, two waffled terry bathrobes, a luggage stand, and an ironing board and iron. Additional drawer storage is available in the granite surfaced wall unit that also serves as a desk.

The second floor Reading Room offers coffee,tea, and pastries 24 hours a day, as well as a delicious Continental breakfast with fresh juice, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, pastries, plus a selection of teas and coffees. In the evening, from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m., guests can retreat to the Reading Room again for complimentary wine, Prosecco, and a selection of cheese and nuts. The costs of both the Continental breakfast and Happy Hour is included with the room. The Library also has a rooftop garden and bar area plus a restaurant, Madison and Vine.

The Library Hotel is conveniently located near Grand Central Station and many sites. Because the Library Hotel is located on busy Madison Avenue, guests should be aware that it can be a bit noisy. If you are used to the sounds of the city, it's not a problem. If not, avail yourself of some of the sleep accessories. I will definitely return here for another stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Library Hotel in March 2014. It has a great location, 5 minutes walk from Grand Central Station and Fifth Avenue. The room was very comfortable, there is a really great bar on the 14th floor with an outside terrace, and complimentary tea and coffee is available around the clock. We really enjoyed the wine and cheese at 5pm! All the staff were fantastic - really helpful and very polite. I would not hesitate in recommending this as a place to stay in Manhattan, we would definitely return!