Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The library hotel was one of our highlights when we visited New York recently. All the staff were really friendly and I looked forward every afternoon to go and sit for a while or longer :-) reading, having tea and cookies or juice and lovely snacks in the reading room. Should I have the opportunity to return to New York I hope I can stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,173)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and were delighted with it. Our room was on the small side but we had been prepared for this - thanks to other reviews! The reception staff were really helpful (particularly Tim, who welcomed us on arrival) and overall it felt like a 5 star stay. This was undoubtedly due to the helpful and attentive staff but also to the whole 'library theme' which lent an atmosphere of peace and quiet, in a hectic city that never sleeps! As regular NY visitors we greatly appreciated the free 24 hour tea, coffee and refreshments lounge (in the elegant Reading Room), the lovely breakfasts (included in our room rate) and the (again, free) evening wine-and-cheese refreshments. I personally appreciated the help given by one Server in the breakfast room, who as I had a heavy cold, helped ensure that I could have breakfast on a tray in my room; I didn't get her name and because of my illness was unable to thank her in person, but she is originally from Albania, and her helpfulness was greatly appreciated. I have already recommended this hotel to friends and family, and we will certainly return. (oh and we did manage to do some reading, despite our busy visit!)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

From start to finish, the staff at the Library Hotel were generously accommodating! At the time of my reservation, I was assured I would have a room on the third floor as requested. They were very flexible with my check in time. There was always a warm greeting when I went out and returned. Truly felt like I was family. The hotel was impeccably clean - and the ammenities - breakfast, wine and cheese, and bottled water in the room - all of these added to the feeling that I was 'coming home.' The only thing missing from this hotel room was some kind of clothing hooks in the bath - maybe just me - but I am always looking for a place to hang a robe, or clothes....I will be back - and will highly recommend to friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed for 6 nights at this wonderful hotel. We couldn't find fault anywhere (not that we were looking to find fault). We had a petit room and had absolutely no problems with it. We didn't spend enough time in the room for it to become a problem. The breakfast was lovely, especially the gorgeous fresh fruit. There was plenty to chose from. The cheese and wine was definitely understated as it was a lot more than just cheese and wine. There was crudités with a dip, olives, nuts. The wine was of good quality and during our stay we had red, white and the prosseco. As other people have said the staff were all wonderful and very helpful. The location was perfect for us within walking distance of most of the tourist areas.
If like us you come from JFK and get a taxi, tell your taxi driver it's on the corner of Madison ave and 41 st. Our driver couldn't find it at first and we found he was driving round in circles. Fortunately I spotted the restaurant linked to the hotel The Madison and Vine and told the driver to stop outside the restaurant. Next thing we knew the doorman from the hotel came running out with an umbrella as it was raining and told us to go in the hotel and he would sort our bags out for us.
We loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again if we ever come back to New York. It is only a small hotel and we never saw another guest on our floor so we felt as though we had the floor to ourselves. We were on floor 11 which was Philosophy. Don't hesitate to stay here it's wonderful

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel - it does everything that you need from a hotel really well and without fuss. The staff are outstanding - warm, friendly, helpful and seem to genuinely care that your stay in NY is as good as possible. Breakfast (excellent) and wi-fi are included in room rates, which is a huge plus. Cookies and drinks are available (free) in the lounge all day, and the wine and cheese reception each evening is also great after a day out and about. The location is brilliant - with shopping, Broadway, Grand Central Station, Times Square and lots more all an easy walk away. We would definitely return to this hotel next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I loved staying at the Library. The personal attention and general attitude is welcoming. We felt as if we were staying at a friend's home. Our junior suite was thoughtfully designed, comfortable , with plenty of roomy closets, drawers, and shelves. The "reading room" was a place I loved to relax in late afternoon because of it's restful ambience. The "serve yourself" expresso machine was the best as were the goodies that were offered anytime of the day or night. The location is perfect for the theatre district, good restaurants, and shopping down Madison. I'll be staying there again!

Room Tip: A corner suite was comfortable and deluxe!