“Room type probably determines comfort here.”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I booked three nights here for an interim stay after two months in Rome. Jet lag and a sore throat had me anticipating a quiet and comfortable stay, however, the "petit rooms" are by the elevators and are very, very small. The size of the room was not as much of an issue for me as was the noise from the corridor. The elevator dings regularly and you hear it in the room; voices of course, carry into the room as well. On my first or second morning there was work going on, hammering and such, in the adjacent room. When I booked the hotel I did not realized that these "petit rooms" are all by the elevator. One of the two elevators was out of commission for a day+; a minor annoyance, and of course, elevators do need servicing sometime.

The breakfast room is a huge plus, and the staff were very nice. The bar on the 14th floor is lovely. The location is super convenient, and I did not hear noise from the street at all. Linens also are very good.

If you are a light sleeper, or need some extra rest during your stay, I would inquire about the suites instead.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly to reserve a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Barbara_Antle
Ivana B, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Barbara_Antle,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m delighted you enjoyed the staff and service but so sorry to hear you had trouble sleeping. We are going to investigate if there is any way to make the ping of the elevator more quiet. It is true our Petite Rooms are small, and we sincerely strive to be open and honest about all aspects of the hotel, including our room sizes and amenities. We want to make sure that each guest have all the information they need to make the best choice for them. While I can’t remember getting complaints about the elevators, your perspective has given us a great idea and now, thanks to your feedback, we have noted the elevator proximity on our website in the Petite Room description. Out of the twenty Petite Rooms in the hotel, ten are located directly in front of the elevators while the other ten are located nearby on the same hallway but slightly further away. The Petite Rooms that are farther away are a bit shielded from the sounds of the elevator but are still in an area of higher foot traffic. I can ensure you that our Deluxe Rooms and Junior Suites are on the ends of the hallway away from the elevators so these room types may be a better option for you in the future. In the meantime, I have made a note in your guest profile that you prefer a quiet room as far away from the “hustle and bustle” as possible. This way, if you decide to give us another chance, and I hope you will, we can make sure you’ll have a much more comfortable and peaceful stay.

I sincerely apologize that you heard noise coming from work being done in an adjacent room. Our engineers were indeed fixing the air conditioning in the room right next to yours. In order to keep the hotel in top condition, we must perform daily maintenance in our rooms throughout the day. Whether it’s painting or repairs, our engineers usually start around 10AM and are in and out of rooms until about 4PM. We find that this time frame causes the least interference since most of our guests are awake and out for the day. Our goal is to make sure the work is done as quickly and quietly as possible. Had we known you were taking some more time to rest, we would have gladly rescheduled the maintenance for a later hour. I know guests are often shy about saying anything, but truly, it is our greatest desire to make everyone comfortable so please do not hesitate to let us know if anything is bothering you.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the Reading Room, our friendly staff, and convenient location. I would love to welcome you back in the near future so that you can give us another try. Please feel free to contact me personally at ivana@libraryhotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Ivana Bolf
Director of Sales

Reviewed 18 June 2014

If it's possible for a boutique hotel to jump the shark, this one has. The restaurant in particular was mediocre with forgetful service. The room is tiny and unremarkable for six hundred bucks. The rooftop bar is in need of rebranding. It's not bad if you have to be in midtown, a place like The Chambers just feels fresher.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Rob R, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Anthony F,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. We would love to be the ideal hotel for every traveler, so while we realize that different people have different tastes, it deeply saddens us to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations.

I have shared your review with our food and beverage partners who are in charge of providing service on our rooftop bar and in our restaurant. They join us in sincerely apologizing for any lapse of service you encountered. Also, during the time you were here, we were performing some unavoidable repair work on a corner of the rooftop that might have influenced your perception of its overall atmosphere. If you find yourself in our area and would like to give the bar or restaurant another try, we would all greatly appreciate an opportunity to make it up to you by giving you the unforgettable experience you deserve.

Regarding your remarks about the room, I can assure you we have taken your comments to heart and we are committed to our continuous efforts to hold the property at the highest level. Within the past 2 years, we have updated all of our rooms with new wallpaper and carpeting. We actually just added a new glass bookshelf and touched up all of the wood in the room you stayed in. We’re constantly adding new projects to the list so we would welcome the opportunity to further discuss with you any specific ways you feel we can improve.

The room you booked, our Deluxe Room, is our most typical room type at approximately 250 square feet with a queen size bed. We also have a larger room type, our Junior Suite, which is 350 square feet with a king size bed and a seating alcove. Unfortunately, because you booked the day before your arrival, we had no Junior Suites available and the only Deluxe Room available was one on the lowest floor. I sincerely wish we could have placed you on a higher floor in one of our corner Deluxe Rooms but since you booked our very last room, we were completely sold out on the night you stayed with us. For any potential travelers considering us for a future stay, it is important to note that our rates can be much lower when booked significantly in advance and on off peak days. Additionally, there is no better offer than the TripAdvisor Special Offer you will find on this site. I fully understand that sometimes travel plans don’t allow for it, but we encourage all of our guests to book as far in advance as possible to ensure a wider selection of room types and rate plans. Also, our website actually offers a wonderful rate calendar that is an effective tool in determining price and availability. You’ll see that there are times when the Deluxe Rooms are $300 while at other times they can be closer to $600.

Thank you, once again, for sharing your perspective. If you do have time, I would be grateful to hear from you at Robert@libraryhotel.com

All the best,
Robert Rawlins

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had stayed in the Library previously, and when booking again it was our first choice. When we arrived their was a problem with our booking. The hotel staff phoned the agent and sorted it all out for us. We were not disapointed the hotel was just as good as our previous visit. What makes it stand out ? The Staff could not do enough for you, the Breakfast in the morning saves heading out looking for a Diner. The Tea, Coffee and snacks available 24 hrs per day is a great place to come back to for a break from the City. I can understand why this hotel would appeal to Business people as this room is an excellent place to bring a client or Colleague. The hotel believes in a policy of "your guest is our guest". The rooftop bar is excellent with indoor and outdoor areas, Cocktails cost a very reasonable $15. It is ideally situated for the tourist and Bryant park just a short walk away is a lovely oasis. The Cheese and Wine from 5pm till 8pm is a great place to meet other guests and have a quiet time before heading for the hustle and bustle.
It is not without faults, our Air Con. was noisy, one lift was out of order for a couple of days and the other was struggling to cope with the volume at peak times. This would not put me off, I would have no hesitation in booking The Library for my next visit. One of the best Hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: A deluxe room is adequate for two people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Royalscott
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I literally stumbled upon The Library, and could not be more happy that I did. I am a native NY'er and the Library had never made it across my radar. This is truly a Sanctuary in the City! I had the opportunity to stay in two different rooms, a Deluxe Queen and Junior King Suite. The rooms are divine, perfectly outfitted and kept, and the baths are terrific. The staff is responsive, accommodating, and friendly. And the Library's Reading Room, provides a wonderful way to start the day w/the delicious continental breakfast. The delicious coffee/tea options and treats are available here 24/7. Its s delightful place to catch up on the news as there reading materials abound. Finally, the price point was well in line or below similar properties whose amenities don't hold a candle to The Library. Bookmark it; U won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The deluxe options were truly deluxe! The Junior Suite was a treat that provided a more space, but i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Merrie G
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Library Hotel, in the heart of mid-town Manhattan, is quiet, clean, warm, relaxing, intimate, charming, and reasonably priced. The staff are superlative. I have stayed there twice now and will make it my destination hotel whenever possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wnorcross
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from this great hotel (room1202). The Hotel is small and compact (60 rooms / suites) and that's what makes the place so special. The staff are very friendly, they get to know you but without being intrusive and are very adept at anticipating your needs and requirements helping to make your stay run like clockwork. The hotel rooms are spotless and the complimentary breakfast and evening cheese and wine are just excellent. The hotel is situated centrally, and unlike others we've stayed in previously the hotel is very quiet despite it's location in the centre of the city that never sleeps...
We dined at the Madison and Vine on two occasions.This restaurant is situated in the hotel and we enjoyed the food and service there. We also experienced the roof top bar - which is a great location set amongst the backdrop of Manhattan skyscrapers. Despite it's theme we found the Library anything but full of stuffy librarians. Trust me - "book" it now!! We definitely will again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shark3132
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The staff are welcoming and helpful. We were upgraded to a suite and our room was luxurious and we loved all the delightful touches that went along with the library theme of our room. Even though our room faced Madison Avenue, the noise and traffic outside was very muted and we had a perfect night's sleep. We had so much to do in New York but we did not want to leave the hotel. We enjoyed the lovely breakfast buffet in the morning and then a delicious afternoon wine and cheese spread after a busy day. It is such a beautiful and restful oasis in the city. We arrived early and were able to leave our bags for the day. Even though we were early, we were welcomed to use the Reading Room to relax and refresh. When we, reluctantly, had to leave we needed a cap and the bell captain went above and beyond trying to hail us a cab at a very busy time. We absolutely will stay at the Library Hotel again and again!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family