“Great hotel option in New York”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #5 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Belfast
“Great hotel option in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent the first 5 days of our honeymoon at the Library Hotel and would definitely recommend. New York hotels are pretty expensive - this one being about £220 per night was at top of our budget but really a very good find at this price.

I had been concerned that a petite room would feel cramped for the two of us after reading reviews but it was absolutely fine and room was lovely. We were on 11th floor and had no issues with noise at all, NYC is a constant buzz in the background but you get used to that.

Nice touch of prosecco in our room on arrival. Two computers and printers available at no extra charge on 2nd floor.

We were given a warm friendly welcome by all members of staff, from check in, to doormen, to service staff, really to notch.

Location is great and just round the corner from Grand Central - handy because it is one of those subway stations where you can get the express subway - cuts down time getting around new york.

Another big plus is the breakfast - until 10 each morning. There are various pastries tea coffee etc provided thoughout the day. There is also free wine in the evenings, but we were always out and missed this.

Would happily return.

1 Thank KfromBelfast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our stay at the Library Hotel was beyond our expectations. The room was meticulously decorated, perfectly sized and the bathroom was like walking into a spa. But that is just the beginning The Library is more than a nice and quaint hotel. It exceeds at paying attention to details, like the European breakfast in the morning, the wine & cheese in the evening, bed turn-down service, and the incredible helpful staff!!! Every staff member was eager to please and wanted us to have an incredible stay.

My husband enjoyed the books available to read in our room, which were based on our room's DD classification. You can also relax and read the books available in the lobby or the second floor. But, if reading is not your past time, you can chose to check out a movie to watch on your room's DVD player. The Library keeps the top 100 movie of all time at the front desk. But of course, you didn't come to NY to stay in doors, but to see New York!!! The hotel is close to a lot of attractions, including Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza , Broadway shows and Grand Central Station, so you can use the metro quickly and easily to get those attractions that are father away .

I do have this one comment: the late evening staff did not seem as knowledgeable as the morning staff. Twice I called the front desk with a issue, one regarding my non-working remote and the other regarding getting more of the delicious small box of chocolates. The late night staff member didn't know where any extra remotes were and said he would inquire in the morning. I received the same reply when asking about the chocolates. Sure enough, in the morning, I received a call or a note regarding what I had ask the late night staff.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We both love books, so the idea of staying in a library-themed hotel appealed, but the reality was even better.
Because every room is themed around a different book topic, it feels unique and personal. Our room (deluxe) had plenty of space for us plus everything one could possibly want in a hotel, even an umbrella in case of rain! The bathroom was spotless and well equipped; I usually have a moan about hotel showers, but here it was perfect.
Breakfast was plentiful and delicious and they even provided gluten-free toast and bagels. There was complimentary wine and cheese every afternoon, and excellent coffee is available 24 hours a day!
All of the staff seemed genuinely friendly and were always ready to help. Finding a bottle of Prosecco and some chocolates in the room to help us celebrate our anniversary was a lovely surprise.
The location is perfect, in Midtown Manhattan, one block from Grand Central Station and the subway, and walking distance from many attractions. And when we had had enough of sightseeing in the heat, we could go back and relax with a coffee (or some wine) in the peaceful, book-lined Reading Room, looking down at the busy NY streets.
We had a fantastic stay and would love to come back.

1 Thank 337Alan
Magnolia, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Library Hotel was absolutely amazing. It was just perfect. It is close to everything you want to do and see, yet seems like you are in a quiet getaway. The service and staff is impeccable. I can't wait to get back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank melissagp4401
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've reviewed this hotel once already, but just had such a pleasant experience staying there (this was my third stay) that I want to review it again. Mainly, I want to talk about how helpful and friendly the staff are. Particularly, my SuperShuttle never arrived (or if it arrived it was 2 hours late) to take me to the airport. The women at the front desk called the shuttle company for me several times and eventually, another staff member got me a cab to JFK. This was all done with cheerful kindness.

And the breakfasts (with the Times) continue to delight me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karen R
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Words fail me when trying to truly encapture the amazing homely quailty of the Library hotel....I visited last winter but as in most cases a crazy where did all that time go lifestyle has the blame i didnt comment before now!
The hotel is exactly as described on thier internet oage ,even down to the measurementsof thier rooms,so NO ONE should ever have the opportunity to complain about ( eg) the petite room being too small! The hotel staff are second to none and absolutely NOTHING is too much trouble for them ..,each and everyone of the staff you meet treats you with the greatest respect but at the same time have the uncanny knack of making you feel as though you are in a home away from home...the afternoon free wine and cheese party is a very welcoming way to greet weary visitors ,and the quality of both cheeses,nibbles and wines are not only of top quality but very pleantyful,the staff are constantly checking to see if you need a refill....breakfast also being served in the same area is very pleasant ,and again attended to perfection by the very cheerful ,chatty and charming staff,juices ,bagels,cookies,fabulous fruit salad ,fruit bread,( which they will even take away and toast for you if required) etc etc and gorgeous coffee ,tea or bot chocolate....all accompanied by books ,books and more books ,which I feel totally ashamed to say I didnt even read a few pages of even one all the time I was there! Just too many other things to do ..if you do love the library idea ,try to visit the Pierspoint library ,very near by the hotel an absolute gem and a breathtaking site to see if you wantt something a little different from the other more popular sights in NYC....a special mention to Alvin and Thomas from the fornt desk area..and also a top class hotel director who keeps an eye on every single detail to make sure nothing ever goes amis......thank you so much for a truely wonderful stay ,its now number one on my wish list ....when can I make my next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator ,but as for themes everyone is different...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I have to say this stay at the Library Hotel was by far my most enjoyable time at a hotel. The staff was accommodating in all areas. Always asking if we needed anything. Flagged down cabs for us. Truly showed they are in it for great customer service. The rooms were everything we hoped...decorated perfectly for each themed room. Each night staff comes to pull down the bed, leaves soft music on for when you return, leaves chocolates and a card noting what the weather will be for the next day. They have their Reading room on the 2nd floor that has coffee, tea, water, pastries and fruit 24/7. Also from 5-8 each night there is cheese and wine. Even one day we showed up a little late for the complimentary breakfast and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. The roof top terrace is a great place to go and have your breakfast. I cannot say enough how much I was pleased.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family