“An oasis of calm in the city!”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New Hampshire
“An oasis of calm in the city!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Where to begin with praise for this special, charming hotel? From the first few moments during check-in, I knew I had found a truly amazing spot. Tim and Billy, the front desk team when I arrived, immediately made me feel like a valued guest. During my stay, the graciousness continued, with assistance regarding directions, transportation and unique spots to try. The hotel itself is beautifully and thoughtfully appointed, from the smart lobby to the sleeping rooms, everything is beautifully appointed and comfortably elegant. The first floor of the hotel contains a lovely restaurant, however the real jewel here is the Reading Room, which serves a perfect continental breakfast; fresh squeezed juices, fruit, eggs, yogurt and breakfast breads. Coffee and cappuccino, as well as assorted teas are self serve, however the lovely dining staff are on hand to follow you to your table with an extra cup or plate. Service continues with a sumptuous wine and cheese service each evening, and while it's perfect for relaxing alone, I met a wonderful couple from Australia with whom I enjoyed seeing as we compared notes from our adventures of the day. Did I mention both the breakfast and evening reception are complimentary? They are, as well as turndown service and bottled water in your room each evening. The library is the perfect spot to explore the city; close enough to the action, but with just enough of a walk to feel as though you are returning home. If you are looking for a warm and hospitable respite from which you can explore all of the city, look no further than The Library.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank travelmomnh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Douglasville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The location is primo! The staff were so phenomenal. The friendliest people. Gave wonderful suggestions of things to do for these first time New York travelers. Our check in time wasn't till 3 but our flight got us there at 9. They held our luggage and directed us to the free breakfast and a half hour later brought us our keys. The room was small but very comfy. And we hardly spent any time there. I cannot Say enough about our experience there at the library hotel. We will never stay anywhere else in NYC!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexandria
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is the fourth time that I have stayed in the Library Hotel in one year. As many things are over time you realize that your memory of a place or person has faded or it just changes. This is not the case for this hotel. I could rave about all of the wonderful amenities that are available, how tasty the complimentary breakfast and wine hour is, or the great location. I could, but I am not. Instead, I am going to rave about the people that work there. They are truly amazing, and are the reason that this hotel still has me in love with it. Every single person that I have come into contact with is truly kind and wants to make your stay with them as enjoyable as possible. From Jessica who works at the front desk to the lovely women that are the in the reading room, there is always a smile and a willingness to accommodate. We have stayed at this hotel so often this year, that Jessica even recognized us! This is truly a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne J
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and I spent 7 nights at The Library and it was a fantastic experience. Even before we arrived, the hotel got in touch with us to see if they can assist with anything from theatre shows to day trips.

The staff, from the door men to the reception staff, were always friendly and eager to answer any of our queries and to point us in the right direction.

After many hours of research, we chose The Library based on the amenities and the location - we were not disappointed. The location was perfect for us, not too close to the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but still within easy walking distance. Grand Central is just around the corner, which enables easy access to the subway, which was fantastic. Also, the food court at the terminal gives an affordable choice for a good meal. We walked to Central Park via the galleries on day and from Battery Park an other, long walks but thoroughly enjoyable adventure. Also not far from Madison Square Garden if you are lucky enough to catch an event there.

Because we were staying for a week, we chose the Deluxe room to allow us to spread out and relax, turned out to be a good decision, extremely comfortable.

I highly recommend a stay at The Library, the cheese, nibbles and wine at the end of a long day of discovery only added to a wonderful New York experience.
Rob & Cathy

1 Thank Rob C
Dublin
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My new husband and I have begun our honeymoon and although I've never written a review on tripadvisor before, I feel compelled today. We arrived at the library hotel on the first leg of our trip and have been met by the most gracious, helpful staff. We travel a lot and have had great and poor experiences but how Tim and the other staff members have treated us has been exceptional. They are smiling, friendly and really want us to have a fabulous time. Normally faux pleasantries are obvious in the hospitality industry but I really feel the Library team are very genuine and do their level best for their guests. In addition the rooms are spacious and well appointed while the location is central (we ran to Central Park, around it and back again in 40 mins). I cannot compliment the hotel and it's staff enough! If you are visiting New York-come here.

Stayed July 2014
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lovely, private hotel. Great rooftop lounge and lobby restaurant. Nice Continental Breakfast. Fantastic, friendly, helpful staff. We flew in for one night to see a Broadway show, and without asking, the Front Desk Staff upgraded us to a much nicer room than the one we had booked. We spent the evening after the show with a bottle of wine, looking up and down Madison Avenue from our private terrace! I felt like a movie star! A perfect trip to New York City.

1 Thank Gord B
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Even a small room in this boutique hotel is worth grabbing--especially in the off-season, when rates are better. The rooms are laid out so that the petite size is almost overlooked; the planning was perfect for the layout of these rooms. Immaculate all around, from room to bathroom to public spaces. Second floor "reading room" provides snacks and coffee all day long for the guests. Breakfast is continental, but nicely displayed. GO!!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floors to ensure quiet--but the neighborhood is among the quieter ones in...