“Calm in the city.”

Ranked #6 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Calm in the city.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I love New York; it's vibrant, bustling and as the cliche goes, it's the city that never sleeps. That's why The Library is the perfect choice for somewhere to stay slap bang in the middle of Manhattan. We stayed two years ago and the service was superb then. It still is. Billy at reception was so helpful and epitomises the exceptional customer service which is the Library's trademark; that and the books of course! I was wished a happy birthday as soon as we arrived and enjoyed chocolates and Prosecco in the room. Ok, so this isn't a difficult think to do, but this is the kind of attention to detail so often overlooked, especially in city hotels where your custom can easily be taken for granted. The rooms are small, but oh are they perfectly formed! We will be back in the Spring and I can't wait.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, England
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here at the end of May for 4 nights. This is a charming hotel with very high standards of customer service. The staff are all extremely friendly, helpful and polite. Because a concierge stands by the door greeting visitors and guests all the time, I felt that the hotel was very secure. The room was really comfortable and cosy with an immaculate bathroom, something I always look for as important. The breakfasts were simple but delicious with lots of fresh fruit and a good choice of cereals and pastries. And the early evening wine and cheese was very welcome - I noticed that tea, coffee and juice is available in the dining room outside of meal times. The Library Hotel is truly a haven in the heart of Manhattan, a really good central base from which to explore the delights of New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank RushHourSoul
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I took my teenage daughter to the Library Hotel for her first trip to NY - it was the perfect choice. It's Midtown location makes it easy to go uptown to Museums, Central Park & dept stores like Bloomingdales.....& easy to go downtown to the fashionable Soho, Chelsea etc. We used the bus often which stops outside the hotel -but mostly we walked!
The staff at the Library are faultless -really personable, helpful & professional.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah E
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Library Hotel is a delightful breath of fresh air in the hustle and bustle of Midtown Manhattan. Quiet and unassuming, yet elegant and beautiful, this hotel has it all. From amazing, first-class concierge services, to extremely clean and well-kept rooms, staying at The Library Hotel was a vacation within a vacation. After a long day of sightseeing, it was simply wonderful to come back to a place that felt like home. My husband and I were celebrating an anniversary and this hotel was the perfect way to do it. We took advantage of the wine/cheese happy hour and the rooftop bar. When I told my husband about the wine/cheese happy hour he told me that there must be some catch. We decided to try it out and we were so impressed. It was such a relaxing way to start our evenings out. The service was OUTSTANDING at the happy hour. If you are heading to NYC, give The Library Hotel a try. You will not be disappointed! P.S. I read many reviews labeling the rooms as very small. Please note that we stayed in a Junior Suite and it was a great size. Not too small for a couple at all!

3 Thank shopperc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

On arrival at The Library Hotel my travelling friends said to me "do you think they have mistaken us for celebrities?" we could not believe the warm and friendly welcome by all the staff and our room was delightful. It was only on our 2nd or 3rd day that we realised all guests were treated the same way. It seemed nothing was too much trouble and we could not have been happier. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning and our late afternoons after a full day sightseeing would find us enjoying a glass of wine with cheese and nibbles offered every day in the Library Room. The rooftop bar was amazing with incredible views over 41st Street and Maddison Avenue. The location just around the corner from Grand Central Station suited us so well too for easy access to the subway. The staff at the front desk also happily arranged our tours and were great at giving helpful information. I would not think of staying anywhere else on my next visit to this amazing city.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a great view over 41st Street all the way up to the NYC Library and up and down Ma...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Let me begin by saying I only visited for one evening and did not have a chance to really explore the hotel and all that it has to offer. The hotel is extremely close to Grand Central Station which was convenient for my travel plans. It is within walking distance (15-20 min) of many attractions or a fairly short cab ride. Jessica at the front desk was very welcoming, offering to store our things while we waited for our room to become available and assisted with Subway directions. We appreciated her helpful and kind attitude! We arrived back at the hotel later and were given our keys. The reservations staff emails you when you initially book a reservation to offer assistance. At that time had I requested an upgrade however I never received a response and when I entered the room and the door nearly made contact with the bed i realized it likely was not available-oh well. The Manager did sent a box of chocolates with a personalized note-nice touch. The room overlooked an office building and windows were small. Paired with the tiny room size it felt rather claustrophobic. Our main issue with the room however was the pluming. The very first time we flushed the toilet it overflowed. We called to have it checked out and upon returning later we flushed again and water spewed everywhere. We also attempted to check out the hotel rooftop lounge however it was closed for a private event. Another disappointment. In a matter of personal opinion there are better options around the area for the price you pay. Nonetheless the service was outstanding, property charming, and location prime. On the fence regarding a return trip.

2 Thank littlemisstravel3544
Ivana B, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear littlemisstravel3544,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Whether it’s only for one night or for six nights, we want the Library Hotel to be a home away from home for all of our guests and I’m so disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations.

I was deeply embarrassed to discover that we did not follow up on your email. Our guests’ requests are very important to us, which is why we offer immediate assistance when you receive your reservation confirmation. It’s very uncommon that an important email such as yours would fall through the cracks. Regretfully, we failed to respond and for this I am extremely sorry. I can appreciate how trying it can be for a traveler to reach out to a hotel and not receive an answer. I’ve shared your review with our Reservations Manager and the entire Front Desk to emphasize how important communication is with our guests and to ensure that each email request is acknowledged immediately.

I would also like to send my apologies for the plumbing issues. We always prefer to send someone from our maintenance team to check the plumbing but because your issue happened late in the evening, he had left for the day. After you notified the Front Desk, we sent our bellman to your room to try and fix the issue. He informed me that when he left your room, he truly believed that everything was working correctly but it is now clear that it was not. I’m mortified that you still experienced problems when you returned to your room. Our Front Desk should have checked in with you to confirm that your service request was resolved to your satisfaction, but again, we failed to do so and I sincerely apologize for this. I will make sure that every shift manager immediately follows up on all service requests and if the issue cannot be resolved right away, it is handled first thing in the morning when the maintenance team gets in.

Since you work in the hospitality industry, you know how important feedback like yours is for a hotel. We certainly appreciate the compliments on our outstanding staff and we will work tirelessly to improve our service follow up. I truly hope you will give us another chance, perhaps for a longer stay, so that we may show you what Library Hotel hospitality is all about. The next time you’re traveling to New York City please do not hesitate to contact me directly and it would be my pleasure to arrange your stay. I can be reached at Ivana@libraryhotel or 212-204-5417.

All the best,
Ivana
Director of Sales
United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is a gem. In the busy city it provides a relaxed, calm atmosphere but at the same time being within easy reach of anywhere you would want to go. Attention to detail of the theme makes for interesting surroundings rather that floors and floors of identical rooms. Lovely breakfast selection and the evening cheese and wine is a great touch. Rooms are very comfortable and very clean. This is all due to friendly, attentive staff who will help anyway they can. They always have a welcome for you.

1 Thank DaisyDragon