“Great boutique hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Great boutique hotel!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Library Hotel in July and had a great experience. The staff were more than helpful, they had a great continental breakfast selection and the location was perfect. The wifi was also very quick and it was nice having a rooftop bar at your hotel. Hope to be back there again soon!

2 Thank Jodievk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
The Jersey Shore
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

From the greeting at the entrance to checkout three days later, it was a perfect visit. I had stayed at Hotel Giraffe, sister property to Library Hotel, several times, and my expectations were high. I was not disappointed.
I stayed in one of the Petit Rooms. It was very comfortable and thoughtfully designed to fit the expected amenities conveniently. I had requested a refrigerator, and it was running merrily when I entered the room. My room attendant was charming and efficient with a special request.
Having spent 37 years in the hospitality and casino industries, I think of myself as both observant and just a little picky. They have THE nicest staff I have ever encountered. And quite efficient as well. You can teach efficiency to people, but exerting charm while doing it is usually a trait someone either has or hasn't got. The charm fairy has clearly visited Library Hotel.
The included breakfast buffet is a great start to the day. I didn't get to the evening wine and cheese, but I will on my next visit.
I think one of the best characteristics of the hotel is its small size. The staff and guests quickly recognize one another.
And then there are the books. In the reading room where refreshments are served, in some hallways, in every guest room, the assortment depending on your floor. I had photography.
I'll be back in a few months, and I can't wait.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stargazyskye
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Library Hotel was awesome!

I had read all of the positive reviews, yet I still did not expect the wonderful service we got! It all started when we arrived at 7:30 in the morning on the red-eye from LA. We wanted to drop off our bags and start our New York adventure. However, when we went in to ask if we could leave our bags, they said, “Why don’t we just take them up to your room- it’s ready now.” What?? We can go to our room at 7:30 in the morning for no extra charge?? So of course, we took our bags up and took a minute to freshen up before heading out on the town! The room was absolutely charming! We could see out the window to the NYPL! What a great view! Others have said the rooms are small; however, we thought it just perfect for us! It was tastefully decorated (with a library theme, of course) and the bathroom was large and clean.

We also thought the noise was minimal and slept soundly all 5 nights. We live on a (somewhat) busy street in Los Angeles, so the noise didn’t bother us at all; in fact, it was much quieter than home! The breakfasts were wonderful and the attendants were super sweet! The only complaint I have that we were so busy sightseeing and touring the city that we did not get to take advantage of the lovely wine and cheese each night (we only made it once). Next time, I am definitely scheduling in time for the hotel. The sightseeing can wait!

It truly was the perfect place for us to stay. We can’t wait to get back to NYC for another great experience with The Library Hotel!! Thank you!!

1 Thank Lisa1170
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a business trip because my co-workers were staying here. I was more than pleasantly surprised by the hotel and most importantly, the quality of customer service. This is a quaint boutique hotel staffed with employees that generally care about their guests. The restaurant was also exceptional. Rooms are a tad small so not recommended for families but absolutely ideal for a couple or the individual traveller. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Around the corner from Grand Central Station and close to plenty of shops. Very relaxing atmosphere. We stayed in the Deluxe room, which was very comfortable and decent size. The complimentary continental breakfast buffet had a nice variety, plus great coffee. Served in a very pleasant room. Quite pretty. The staff was very helpful. My son's braces broke Saturday night, due to losing two teeth, the front desk staff was very helpful in trying to find an orthodontist that could help us. They were very helpful the entire stay. The only thing that could be better is the pillows. They were too high and it really bothered my neck. Otherwise, great visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JacquelineN146
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great location on Madison at 41st - handy for Grand Central, subway and buses. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room not large but well designed and extremely comfortable. Breakfast is a nice buffet - not cooked but very good selection of cold foods. Very nice custom of having a wine and cheese reception each evening. Very good restaurant next door - you may need to book (its popular). And of course plenty of reading matter!!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone: they made our stay very pleasant indeed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I love New York; it's vibrant, bustling and as the cliche goes, it's the city that never sleeps. That's why The Library is the perfect choice for somewhere to stay slap bang in the middle of Manhattan. We stayed two years ago and the service was superb then. It still is. Billy at reception was so helpful and epitomises the exceptional customer service which is the Library's trademark; that and the books of course! I was wished a happy birthday as soon as we arrived and enjoyed chocolates and Prosecco in the room. Ok, so this isn't a difficult think to do, but this is the kind of attention to detail so often overlooked, especially in city hotels where your custom can easily be taken for granted. The rooms are small, but oh are they perfectly formed! We will be back in the Spring and I can't wait.