“This is what a hotel should be ........ Excellant”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 November 2009

To find a hotel that ticks all boxes - are hard to find BUT the Library hotels is such one.
From start to finish the staff were superb and couldn't fault their professionalism in any way - courteous , friendly. The hotel does make the vistor appreciated - even on check out day - the offer to use the hotel facilities is a major plus , if you are waiting for a late flight. The ambience / atmosphere of the hotel is fanatastic and the location just makes it a great place to stay when visiting New York.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,221)

Reviewed 1 November 2009

We stayed at the Library Hotel for 7 nights in September. I would definitely stay there again and it's a joy to find somewhere that breaks free from the mould of your average hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful, especially those serving breakfast. The lounge was a bit small for this purpose however the staff were prompt to offer a tray and we enjoyed breakfast on the 14th floor lounge on a couple of occasions. The location is excellent - just round the corner from Grand Central Station. Our room was quite small, but sufficient for our stay. The only thing I would change is hte soundproofing. It's not that great and the street noise was pretty constant. My wife and I both ended up using earplugs, but overall, it wouldn't prevent us returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The Library Hotel stands out amongst the hundreds of other hotel in New York City, for three distinct factors: location--whether for business or pleasure; comfort--calm, relaxing and subdued luxury: and finally, SERVICE--from associates who genuinely care about the quality of your stay. I have just returned from my fourth stay at this fine boutique hotel, and I wouln't consider staying anwhere else in NYC. In this case, there is added value to the cost of your stay, and this little gem of a hotel stands heads aboive the competition.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2009

A homey, 60-room, literary-themed boutique, located down the block from New York's famous Public Library, and among Midtown East's corporate skyscrapers. It's one of New York's best values, mostly because of the perks: an upscale bistro on the ground floor, a lively bar on the penthouse floor, free Wi-Fi, free gym passes, and free daily pastries, wine, and cheese.

Pros:
-One block from Grand Central, with access to six subway lines
-Thoughtful design based on old-fashioned Dewey Decimal System
-Upscale bistro on ground floor, lively bar on penthouse floor
-Free Wi-Fi
-Free gym pass to New York Sports Club, (four blocks away)
-Free daily pastries, wine, and cheese

Cons:
-Rooms near the elevator can be loud
-No cots or double rooms available

The Library is located in a prewar, Art Deco building just a block from Grand Central, one of the city’s biggest transportation hubs. In the reading room on the 2nd floor, where free coffee and pastries are served 24 hours a day, and free wine and cheese are available from 5 to 8 p.m., I rubbed shoulders with a trio of British guys in tight jeans and Converses talking about their film shoot, a twentysomething American girl in Uggs catching up on her e-mail, and a well-heeled couple on the tired side of their 50s poring over a map of New York. It’s a really mixed bag here -- young and old, business and pleasure, hip and nerdy. The bar on the top floor is lively at night with both guests and nonguests (think well-heeled business types and their clients). As is Madison & Vine, the restaurant and wine bar on the ground level (with the same owner as the bar, but unaffiliated with the hotel proper), which serves delicious upscale bistro fare.

Service is impeccable -- classy but not pretentious -- a remarkable feat for a city where service is typically snobby at best and standoffish at worst. The Library Hotel defies New York’s smug stereotypes, though I did giggle a little when the staff referred to me with an honorific “Ms. A call to room service for extra towels yielded the goods in two minutes flat and the requested soy milk for my coffee in the 2nd floor reading room appeared within seconds. The hotel offers a turndown service. I returned to my room after only a few minutes away and found the bed neatly turned down, the blinds closed and the lights on. I loved the chocolates the staff left on the pillow along with a note with the next day’s weather (rainy and 43°F, brrr).

My room, 1100.004 -- all rooms are organized in Dewey Decimal System, it’s the Library Hotel, get it? -- was a tiny 200 square feet. But to be fair, 200 square feet in New York is pretty average. Though I’ve seen closets more luxurious than my shoebox room, I grew fond of its smart, classy, understated character. But maybe that was just the 660-page tome “How the Mind Works”, by Harvard professor Steven Pinker, haunting me from above the TV (my room had a psychology theme).

For detailed pictures of the room: http://bit.ly/uZ7mJ

The hotel itself is calm and serene, except for its penthouse floor (14th), where there's Bookmarks, a rooftop garden and bar with three different personas. There’s the “poetry garden,” a greenhouse with a wraparound terrace, the “writer’s den,” which has a working fireplace and its own heated terrace, and the bar itself, which has a sleeker, more mod feel than the rest of the hotel. All three rooms were buzzing when I arrived at 10 p.m. on a Monday night.

For detailed pictures of the hotel property: http://bit.ly/2aKDvX

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed at a couple of places on this trip and the Library was by far the best one. The staff were very helpful and friendly from the outset. Obviously the services such as the cheese and wine (which was really nice!) give you a good feel about the place but I particularly liked their relaxed attitude - saying I could invite a friend to have the wine and cheese and that I was welcome to use the lounge during the day of departure, even after checking out. The location is excellent and the rooms were very nicely fitted out. It is certainly not the cheapest but it is well worth it - they do that bit extra to make it a really nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2009

It was my first time in NYC and I found the staff extremely helpful. Warm and welcoming atmosphere, I will definitely stay there again when I'm next in NY. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2009

What a great hotel! We mentioned it was our honeymoon when I booked it online and when we arrived they had upgraded us to a nicer room and left a bottle of sparkling wine in the room for us. They made the whole stay very special--all staff were super friendly and made us feel very welcome. Plus there's free internet and free bottled water in the rooms and free breakfast every morning. They even offered to let us use the 2nd floor lounge after we had checked out as our flight wasn't until the evening.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple