“Great location and wonderful staff”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I stayed for two evenings in this great midtown hotel. Located near Grand Central made it easy to get anywhere in NY. Stayed in the Almanacs-themed room; great bathroom, very quiet. Nice breakfast, and tea and coffee were available 24 hours in reading room on the 2nd floor. Wireless internet worked in the room with no problems. Staff was very helpful with questions. They let us store our luggage in the hotel after we checked out. I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,173)

Reviewed 14 November 2009

This was our eighth trip to NYC, but our first time staying at Library Hotel. The location is so convenient - literally 1 block away from Grand Central Terminal and the NY Central Public Library . Immediately upon entering the lobby, one begins appreciating the elegant decor. The service: No attitude, and very gracious. We got a room on the 7th floor - very large (by NYC standards). The room was clean, and turndown service was prompt - No housekeeping issues. The 2nd floor public area is a welcoming space (again, decorated like a library) where continental breakfast is also served daily. It is also open 24hrs/day. The rooftop bar and lounge are great places to congregate, with views of the local Manhattan skyscrapers. Free Wi-Fi throughout the property also! Free passes for the NY Sports Club were offered to us, since the hotel doesn't have its own fitness facility - a nice touch. We were sad to leave this boutique hotel.

Upsides: Service beyond the call of duty, great location, large rooms by NYC standards, great rooftop bar & lounge, overall excellent value.

Downsides (very minimal): Street noise permeated the walls on the lower level rooms (but not significantly). The water pressure in the shower was a bit low. Also, the hotel entrance was a tad tough to find when first arriving, and the front desk didn't have a USB wire for our laptop (but that was our fault for forgetting to bring one).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveljunkie-LA
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The staff were extremely helpful and freindly. We upgraded to a Junior Suite King and seeing the size of the other rooms this was a very good idea, by prepaying the cost increase was only minimal above the Deluxe Room Queen. I recommend you do this as the extra pace in the room makes it so much more comfortable. The level 2 reading room is fantastic being able to get a coffee whenever you feel like it make the hotel feel more homely. If you are a light sleeper maybe ask for a room away from the main road.
We cannot recommend this Hotel enough it deserves it high ranking

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cliff1069
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights. Great location, esp as it was our first visit to NYC. We chose this hotel mainly because of the reviews we read on Trip Adviser.

I guess the standard of hotels must be pretty low for this to be in the top 5 ranked! It is perfectly fine but for the cost and the expectation we were let down.

Positives - helpful staff, small hotel so not feel part of a big process, decent room size (I assume NYC always have small hotel rooms), help yourself to Tea, Coffee, biscuits and fruit all the time! Cheese, wine etc good quality and generous - help yourself. Good cleaning service and nicely decorated rooms. Newspapers and lots of books!!!!

Negatives - breakfast whilst good quality, nothing was cooked. So same old each day. Was I wrong to expect a better breakfast option? The reading room was a major selling point but it has an awful claustrophobic feel to it. No one whilst I was there seemed to enjoy it, the carpet makes any conversation stand out, there were not enough seats for everyone when busy at Breakfast, the lighting is too bright. I know it seems like I am moaning but this was the hotels USP but they aren't maximising it. They should use the ground floor restaurant for Breakfast. That would have really improved our opinion.

I suppose I don't believe what they offered is value for money but it is still a good hotel and I have nothing to compare against in NYC. So it may be very good compared to the competition.

I wouldn't stay here again as I would probably stay in Tribeca area instead.

2  Thank Aeroco
Reviewed 9 November 2009

A very cool surprise. The lobby is deceving as it is not indicative of the vast spaciousness of the rooms. The room are ultra chic, very cozy, and provide for a great experience when you are there. the location of this hotel is perfect, central to outstanding dining and nightlife. The staff is cordial and knowledgeable. And the LIBRARY theme is a unique spin on the hotel and travel industry. Two enthousiastic thumbs up. We will return and we will recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I stayed in an appropriately named petite room, which had plenty of storage space. I was in NY for the 2009 marathon and upset that I didn't sleep well due to cars continually thumping over a loose manhole outside. When I complained, Laurence stepped out from behind the desk and charged into the middle of the street with a potential temporary solution. When that didn't work, he came back in, thought of something else and tried another method. It didn't work but I was impressed with the length to which he was prepared to go to help me. Other concierges were very helpful with restaurant and play recommendations and bookings.
In addition, the breakfast is very good with a lovely fresh fruit bowl, yummy bagels and rolls, yoghurt,hard-boiled eggs, etc. That and the wine and cheese in the evening really help to save money in such an expensive city. The staff there was also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Like many others before me, I did some homework on this place before booking. I had high expectaitons going in and am glad to say that the Library Hotel exceeded those expectations. From offering us a free breakfast on the morning before we checked in (we got in early from a red-eye flight), to the promt and helpful responses to all of our inquiries, this was the perfect place to stay. The location is great and the hotel is better.