“Gracious Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toledo, Ohio
“Gracious Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I admit, I was a bit nervous when I booked this hotel, since I had a petite single room and I heard they were very small. Not the case at all! Yeah, the room is only 200 sq. feet, but whoever designed the layout of the furniture and the location of the bathroom was a total genius. Talk about making excellent use of small space! Believe me, I'm a girl that travels with a lot of stuff, and I was able to lay out all my shoes on the floor, all my beauty products on the bathroom sink and in the tub. Space was never an issue; I was so comfortable. Everything was impeccably clean; pristine actually. The staff were so nice and gracious; they helped me with my luggage as soon as my cab arrived at the front door, and they immediately greeted me by my name. I arrived before check-in, but they kindly held my luggage for me all day until I got back that afternoon. And did I mention the complementary amenities? ... including breakfast, snacks all day, and wine and cheese and night. Wonderful. I adored the rooftop; I stayed for 2 days, and I was out there on both days totoally enjoying the great view of the city and the nice breeze... it was hot outside when I was there, but somehow cooler on the roof. As a librarian, I appreciate the Dewey theme of the hotel; it was creative and well done. However, you don't need to be a librarian to appreciate this Manhattan gem. If you have any doubts about booking this hotel, don't!! Book it now. You'll have the time of your life. I know that I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelGirl1024

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

stayed here for one night on a business trip and found the hotel simply perfect - best choice ever in nyc. convenient midtown location, truly dedicated staff. small rooms with thoughtful design, everything, including the bathroom, was really clean. grand central, central park, fifth and lexington avenue are very close (the hotel itself is on madison). as long as they keep it in this shape i would alsways love to come back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank fritzrudolf
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

What a find! We loved this hotel. It's in a super location, around the corner from Grand Central Station, a short walk to Times Square, and lots of great restaurants within walking distance. We traveled as a family of five, with three teenage/young adult kids.

The hotel was one of our favorites ever. The books in the rooms were fun. The rooms were comfortable, super clean and well appointed. Most notable, however, was the friendliness and helpfulness of the desk staff! We appreciated their warm greetings and helpful suggestions. This was probably the friendliest hotel staff I have ever encountered.

We enjoyed the wine and cheese hour. There were juices and waters for the kids and nice wines, cheeses, crackers and fruits.The complimentary breakfast was better than we expected!

When we return to NYC, we will definitely book here again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

We had a great time in NYC! Stayed for 10 days and the Library hotel was lovely. Perfect location, small but very comfortable rooms and excellent service. We also appreciated the rooftop garden very much, especially since the wheather was wonderful during our stay. A highlight was Bryant Park just a short walk from the hotel. We would really love to come back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

I was a bit skeptical, as all the reviews made it sound too good to be true. But I was proved wrong.

The staff are unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.They were very nice to my brother who came in to wait for us while we were at the theater.

The breakfast is perfect, (especially the cappucino machine), and you can eat it in the second floor lounge (which has a nice view of 41st and Madison) or get a tray and take it to your room.The fruit salad was especially good and constantly replenished.

We loved the wine and cheese reception from five to seven and the little touches like the fresco on the stairs between the second and first floors.

The beds are very comfortable, and the room size is fine (we had a Queen deluxe).

It is close to so many things: Grand Central Station, the Chrysler Buiding , and the New York Public Library itself, to name a few.

We hope to come back soon.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hadlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

This is another great example of a top-rating Tripadvisor hotel. We had not been to NY before and were bewildered by the huge choice so we selected this place on the basis of a) Tripadvisor rating and b) location. It's a great hotel and despite offering what seems like a 'no frills' service it actually offers far more than many other hotels I've stayed in. On the second floor there's a guest lounge which you can use at any time. It becomes a self-service breakfast area in the mornings, is available for tea/coffee & cookies/muffins throughout the day, and from 5-6pm it's a pleasant place to enjoy a complimentary glass (or two) of wine (or sparkling white) with cheese and biscuits. There are just a couple of staff in this area but at no time do you feel under-serviced. If you want to take a breakfast tray up to your room it's no problem. In fact 'no problem' could be the hotel motto. The staff you mostly interact with are downstairs (reception/porters) and they are courteous, cheerful and knowledgeable about the area. They clearly enjoy their job and you cannot fail to feel well looked after. There's free internet in the rooms (in my view it's almost rude to charge for this but many places still do) and there's a free guest computer station/printer if you need to print out anything (like Theatre confirmations). It's a hotel that definitely puts the 'B' into 'boutique' and after a week there we felt more like house guests. The bed was really comfortable and the pillows super soft.....the only negative I can think of is that the a/c unit in our room was a little noisier than some. Oh...and the library theme is also fun... we had a good browse through the books in our room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prufreck
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

Great service, very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast is great. Petite rooms are small, it's a tight fit with suitcases but they are very clean and well laid out.

• Stayed July 2010