“Amazing stay for the end of our honeymoon!”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My new husband and I had been travelling for five weeks already (on our honeymoon) when we arrived at The Library Hotel. We were looking forward to staying put for five days straight in a much anticipated hotel.

The Library Hotel met all of our expectations and more! It's in a great location for tourists, the staff are so genuine and focused on making your stay as great as possible (they couldn't do enough for us), the breakfast and wine/cheese afternoons are an amazing bonus, the rooms are comfortable with lovely decor, and the general vibe of the hotel is pleasant and welcoming.

We had pre paid our hotel stay many months earlier and went for the Book Lovers Deal which gave us a 20% discount. It was amazing value for the level of hotel it is. We would highly recommend The Library Hotel and will be staying there again next time we are in fantastic New York!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed 8 August 2010

The hotel is a little bit of a hike from the main shopping area in fifth avenue.

They do provide afternoon tea and breakfast with good quality produce and there are snacks available all day round, they are quite generous.

Hotel is a little pricey for the weekday rates and the cheapest room is quite small but very clean, comfortable and very nice.

They allow you to hire DVDs free of charge, they have a good book and DVD collection. They will bring the DVD up to your room. Overall, staff are very good, attentive and helpful.

The room is not that quiet so even though we were on 11th floor, we can still hear traffic downstairs, if you need to complete quietness to sleep, maybe this isn't a great place.

I would stay hear again if I need to be in this part of the town.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S_A_L_W_80
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I actually booked Fashion 26 Hotel for our stay in New York but as we were returning for one night before our flight home, I splashed out on the number one rated Library Hotel as an end of holiday treat. However, after staying 4 nights at the brand new Fashion 26 Hotel who gave us a free upgrade to a king from a queen room (an offer when we booked), the fantastic Fashion 26 staff welcomed us with cupcakes, gave us a quiet room on a high floor with excellent a/c & facilities and a view out of our window of The Empire State Building, oh and a rooftop bar with this same view, we wondered how The Library Hotel was going to top this experience and unfortunately they just couldn't! They have good customer service (but it was a little overly friendly and over-the-top), our Library Hotel room was TINY with a view of an office block, compared to our BIG room at Fashion 26 (I was shocked at the size as I have heard so much about square footage in NYC). Also, although I requested a quiet room at The Library Hotel I was given a room directly opposite the lifts and the bed was next to the door so it was anything but quiet, plus we weren't high enough nor the windows sound proofed enough to be able to ignore the drilling outside early next morning. The location was good, but it is at Fashion 26 as well, which is also 2 blocks from the subway. The Library Hotel offers cheese & wine in the evening & snacks available all day, which was nice but for the difference in price between here & Fashion 26 you could just have it in a restaurant!

Yes The Library Hotel is clean & friendly etc but I cannot understand how it is the number one New York hotel on Tripadvisor because you get a LOT more for your money at Fashion 26. Also, we were bumped from our Delta flight home and were therefore stranded in New York for 24 hours with no luggage or cash, we didn't know what to do but because of our wonderful experience at Fashon 26 we felt that although it was 10pm we could call them and ask for help. The fabulous Lynda sorted us a room for as low a price as she could and ensured that we were all checked in so that key cards would be ready for us when we arrived. When we did arrive we found that she had arranged a fabulous room for us that made our delay a pleasure :) All I can advise you is that I paid £180 per night at Fashion 26 and £237 at The Library Hotel and Fashion 26 was by far better in every way possible, no it didn't have free champagne, wine & cheese but it isn't really free is it, you've paid for it in the price, with the £57 difference I suggest champagne & cocktails with a view at Fashion 26's roof top bar!!! :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alias73
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I understand all of the good reviews, the location and customer service are excellent. At check in, no less than 3 people introduced themselves by name. The doorman changed day to day, but the service level was still extremely high. The room was tiny but very well appointed, nice linens, good use of space. I stayed in a giant suite hotel in upstate NY last night and had a harder time getting ready this morning than at the Library. Had breakfast in the Library Reading Room in the morning - absolutely lovely!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Love2Fly1111
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Having been to the city several times, I've stayed in centrally-located high-end hotels including New York Palace Hotel, but I can safely say my 6-night stay at the Library Hotel was the best experience I've had. Following tripadvisor's rave reviews, I booked the prepay special "Book Lover's Deal" for a deluxe queen room which gave me a 20% discount. There's just nothing much that I can pick a bone with, maybe except for my wish to have a larger TV in the room. Other than that, the rest is simply impeccable. The front desk staff were truly welcoming and extremely helpful and sincere. The bellman greets you with "great day ahead" when you leave the hotel and welcomes you with "good evening, welcome back" when you return, how many hotel staff actually do that? Top-down, the attitude is simply amazing. The room is beautifully decorated, spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom is very nice too. Besides its unique library theme which really sets itself apart from other forgettable hotels, I really have to give my thumbs up for its 24-hour refreshment service (coffee, tea, fruit punch, cookies etc) in the Reading Room. You can even pick up a book to read while having a late-night snack and enjoy the street views outside. I've stayed in scores of hotels worldwide (Asia, Europe, Americas) and I don't think I've ever stayed in one which provide this simple yet missing service. Kudos to the Library management! The continental breakfast was way better than most continental b/f I've had in other hotels. Whenever I can make it, I'd enjoy the wine and cheese reception between 5-8pm which really adds a sweet touch to your stay. I nearly forgot to mention they also provide you with free passes to the nearby fully-equiped gym so if you feel like having a workout, those passes will come in useful. There's also free wifi in the hotel and free internet 24 hours as well. Printing is free of charge too. How cool is all that!
All these made my stay at the Library extremely memorable and wonderful and I can't stop telling all my friends about this gem! Needless to say, this will my ONLY choice the next time I visit the city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We took our son (without siblings) for a special trip to New York and booked a Jr. Suite with king bed and pull out sofa. It had a fabulous view down Madison Ave., as the room jutted out of the building. Free breakfast was delightful, room felt like a haven at the end of busy days, staff was very friendly and helpful. We took advantage of a free movie one night. Great location for touring Manhattan. We can't say enough about how much we loved this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Spent a week at the Library Hotel in July 2010 when it was very hot in New York. The hotel made our stay a pleasure, with great service, comfortable rooms and terrific location. I'd recommend it to anyone planning a holiday in New York.

• Stayed: July 2010