“Okay for the money”

Ranked #320 of 467 Hotels in New York City
NYC Pal
“Okay for the money”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed here because the website it was booked on (Red Roof Inn) gave a lower price than other hotels in the area. The website didn't specify the age of the child, and upon check-in, was told that a child over 13 must pay an additional $15/day. A little misleading, I think. The room had a very strong mildew odor, we ended up buying our own air freshener. If you're shy, this is not the hotel for you! The bathroom door is clear glass. What is up with that? We figured out if you kept the light off, you'd have some sense of privacy. Continental breakfast was adequate- instant hot cereal, assorted cold cereals, yogurt, pastries, bagels. The location is "Little Korea," and is 10 streets plus 3 avenues away from Grand Central Station (20 min walk). Very good restaurant on this street is Haru Hana -beautifully presented Japanese cuisine. French Bakery next door to hotel, also very good. Elevators were a bit slow. Front desk people perfunctory at best, not very friendly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jegsavnerdeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I found myself returning to Manhattan a month after a trip in which I stayed at the La Quinta hotel across the street from Nyma. I loved La Quinta but unfortunately it was booked up for the first 5 days of our trip so I booked at the Nyma for 5 nights.

This is a very nice hotel in a great location. For more details about the street and location, see my May 14th 2011 review for La Quinta Manhattan. La Quinta and Nyma and three other hotels close by are all owned by the same company (Apple Core Hotels) and have similar offerings.

We had a room with two doubles; it was a bit cramped for the four of us, but not tiny. I wanted two Queens but they didn't have any. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Also very quiet, probably because we didn't have a street-view room; no view at all. The air conditioning worked well and the hallway was positively arctic (which I liked in the middle of a summer).

There was adequate hot water in the shower, although the shower curtain rod was loose and needed repair and the towels seemed a little skimpy and not very soft. Also, no grab bars in the bath/shower and no bathroom vent/fan. Large flatscreen TV with good picture and plenty of channels. No problem with the wifi for our laptops except the night when reception went out for the whole hotel, and even across the street at La Quinta. But I was surprised there was no in-room complimentary pens, paper, etc. and also no bed-side table with drawers - not very helpful.

The in-room safe is big enough for lap-tops and locks and unlocks with your own credit card which is super-convenient.

The complementary breakfast was well-stocked, although the layout is dumb with all the cups for drinks stuck back in the corner which causes a big and unnecessary bottleneck. Amarjit, (I think that's his name - an excellent breakfast staff-person!) did what he could to create a more rational set-up but on days he wasn't assigned to this room, it was back to difficult access and waiting to get a cup. The breakfast is identical to La Quinta's. It is very good I think - bagels and cream cheese, toast, donuts, pastries, hot and cold cereals, yogurt, hot hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, real orange and apple juice, and apples and bananas. It can get crowded especially toward the end of the breakfast hours. There is an overflow room with a couple tables and lots of counter space. I found this room had more effective air-conditioning.

We enjoyed our stay here very much, but even though the nightly rate was more expensive than at La Quinta we got only double beds, not queen-size beds like at La Quinta. Also, Nyma's two free huge-screen computers and the printer are right there in the front lobby. I felt very exposed using them. The lobby itself is not a warm or inviting place - lots of polished surfaces and functional seating - not great for meeting people. La Quinta has much nicer and more comfortable lobby seating, and a TV. Looking at the website after I came back, it seems that there is a mezzanine lounge which I totally didn't know about. Another Tripadvisor reviewer says there are hidden stairs to this level, which is above the front desk. If they have it, they should let people know with decent signage!

So overall, I was happy with this hotel, but I have a preference for across the street at La Quinta. Nyma gave only a 5% AARP discount while La Quinta gave a generous 10% discount - which over a long stay makes a difference, and La Quinta's daily rates were a little better anyway. But for location and value, I can easily recommend this hotel too.

Room Tip: For quiet rooms, request a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NickyOm
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2011

To begin with the street outside is very dirty and has bad smell. In the room, I didn't like the noisy air conditioned and the uncomfortable bed and pillows. I also think that bed sheets need to be replaced more often. But the real bad thing is the staff. They are extremely unfriendly and have bad manners. The front desk staff simple doesn’t care about the guests needs. This really was one time experience. You will never see me again at nyma.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Flashpacker_Red
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Red_Flashpacker,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. The majority of our guests enjoy their stay very much and find the beds and pillows very comfortable and the staff very friendly. Our staff is continually trained to be as helpful and friendly as possible. Our central location is very close to the Empire State Building, Penn Station, and many subway lines for your convenience. We offer the best hotel value in Manhattan with free amenities such as free wi-fi, breakfast, and domestic phone calls.
We hope that if your travels bring you back to New York City, you will reconsider and try us again.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my family (wife and two children) for one week in July.

Complimentary internet and breakfast. Good sized rooms. Just a few steps to Empire State and close to Times Square and Penn Station, which was good to me since I and my family went wanlking to there to get the train to Washingnton, DC.

Very close to many bus stops and to many metro stations at 34th.

The froom has a microwave oven. You can buy some food in the CVS nearby and use it.

Do not expect a luxury property, but a standard hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mcaetano70
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I would really recommend this hotel since I needed to book at last time and was a little worried about the quality I was going to see.

Getting there - very close to the 34st herald square metro station.

Lobby- lobby is small but very nice and clean.

Concierge - they even have a concierge table.

Room - very pretty and clean room. Really liked it.

Breakfast - continental breakfast lacked of some food i am used to but it was good.

Overall - i would stay here any time again for sure. Location, price and quality was good. I could see the empire state from my room.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank traveler_pr_usa
New York
Reviewed 20 July 2011

midtown location, no long lines, quiet, nice folks, Korean food Nirvanna, small room but fine

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank drjoe38
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We were very pleased with our stay in this hotel. The entrance area is clean and welcoming. The staff was helpful and polite. (especially the lady in the reception when we checked-in 10th of july in the evening) The location is great! in korean street which was always crowded and we really felt safe. It's also a few min. walk to penn station. You can easily walk to times square, and madison square park. subway is just few steps away. The room was clean, with a view of Empire State Building. The bed was comfortable. It was a little bit small and the air conditioning was noisy though it was not really a problem for us, because you don't spent much time in the room in manhattan. Nice breakfast with fresh fruit, bagels, donut...I would definitely stay in this hotel if i come back to manhattan.

Room Tip: try to get upper floors with empire state view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family