My husband and I have never been to NYC, so we were already very excited about our brief stay. We had planned an Amtrak train trip from Chicago to NY, spending the night and then taking another train back to Chicago.
We would be in the city for less than 12 hours but knew that we would need a hotel close to Penn Station that was reasonably priced and did not have bed bug issues.
nyma seemed to be the winner on all counts, so we made our reservations.
Upon arrival, AFTER we checked in, while we were waiting for the elevator to our room, we noticed a photocopied sign on the wall, and the same one in the elevator from the city. Oh, look, the hotel's water was scheduled to be turned off for up to 12 hours. Naturally it was on that very night that we were staying there.
Again, we were not told of this at check it or even before by text message or email. The water was scheduled to be shut off by 9pm, at this point it was close to 7.
Our train the next morning was scheduled to leave before 7am, so we would miss out on free breakfast the hotel provided its guests. We figured we had time to shower before meeting up with friends for dinner.
Except that we both spent dinner wondering where in the neighborhood would have public bathrooms for us to use since you know, your water was shut off and YOU DID NOT INFORM ANYONE.
Upon returning from dinner, we talked to the clerks at the front desk and what they told us was astounding.
"I cannot help you." Wait, you expect us to pay quite a bit of money for a really nice hotel, toss up water shut off notices, and then do not offer to either give us a discount or put us up in another location?
What were you telling the rest of the guests in the hotel? Were you telling EVERYONE staying there that they had to find somewhere else to pee and take showers for 12 hours?
And your response to the above? "I do not know". What you did not know what you were going to tell the rest of your guests or you did not know how you were going to handle it?
My husband and I have been in the customer service industry for over 20 years and quite honestly we were both rendered speechless over our treatment. We will not be staying at any of your hotels again.
Oh and one last thing....LOVED the bottle of water you left for us to use. That was real classy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated nyma offers clean and elegant accommodations with free wireless Internet access, flat screen TVs, a fitness center, complimentary continental breakfast, free calls within the US and a lot more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manhattan Red Roof Inn
- Red Roof Inn Manhattan
- Red Roof Inn New York City
- New York City Red Roof Inn