“Good Hotel”

Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Malton
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at NYMA and have no complaints, I asked in advance for a non-smoking quiet room and was given this. The hotel is very good value for money. The room was a good size and the bathroom. had microwave, fridge and coffee machine which was a nice extra. The bathroom was medium size (amply big enough) and had soap and shampoo dispensers on the wall, as well as body lotion. As stated in other reviews, the breakfast room is probably too small for the number of guests, but it was manageable and the breakfasts were fine with a good choice. I do think the breakfast attendant could have done with help, but they did a real good job. Hotel was clean throughout and location excellent. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. It was also one of the quietest hotels I have stayed in in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelafar_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
West Tisbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I researched the prices of Hotels in NYC and found this apple core hotel to be very reasonable. I was pleasantly surprised that they had white duvet covers as I am a little germaphobic and wasn't expecting the clean covers for the price I was paying. The room was clean. The check-in, check-out went smoothly and they held my luggage for me all day in a secure location on my check-out day. The concierge was helpful and I left my laminated NYC map at her desk and was happy to be able to get it back later in the day. I should have tipped her. The price included a full continental breakfast plus they had tea and coffee available at all times. I think our room had been renovated. They didn't have enlarging mirrors but I wasn't expecting that for the good rate I got, but the bathrooms did have a night light which is nice. The location worked out very well for us. We walked to the empire state building around the corner early in the morning and got right in. Also walked back from the Ed Sullivan Theater through Times Square at night. And walked the Highline from 14h Street all the way back to the hotel. The 34th St subway stop was very convenient.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 15th floor which is away from the street noise and I requested a room with a vi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel at Easter with my daughter. We booked a quiet room, non smoking with 2 double beds. We were on the 16th floor and as the room is at the back, there was no city view. The room was very spacious, with fridge, microwave, coffee making and clock with ipod/iphone docking.. We were very pleased with the room as the beds were the most comfortable beds ever. There is free WiFi was is great.
Breakfast was very good, albeit busy, there was a good choice. There were lots of different types of bread to toast, scramble eggs and boiled, pancakes, yogurts, fruit and cereals. We always managed to get a table for breakfast. The lifts are a bit slow at times.
They have coffee, hot chocolate and water all day long. The area is upstairs with comfy sofas and tables and chairs. You were able to bring something in to eat and had your drinks there.
The staff made us feel very welcome when we arrived. They were all very helpful and friendly. The hotel was so close to the Empire State building that we were able to go for 8o'clock in the morning and not have to queue for 2 hours, just straight in. It was only a few minutes walk to Macy's. We went around eight at night after we did our sightseeing. It was nice and quiet and was a pleasure have a browse. There was subway about a minute's walk too. There is a very nice pizza place at the end of the street, just on 5th Ave and it was so good. There is a souvenir shop there too. That was so handy as you were able to get all you needed there and not have to carry them around while sightseeing.
At the front desk, you can book, tours and airport pickups. We booked a helicopter tour and it worked out cheaper by doing it there. Nice! The girl was so helpful, thanks.
I would return to this hotel again as the staff were great and it is very clean with complimentary breakfast and refreshments all day. After checking out, they store your luggage for you while you do the last minute things and come back to wait for your airport pickup. What's not to like, we had a great time there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AspenNorthernIreland
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear AspenNorthernIreland,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you had a wonderful time in New York City. The staff works very hard to ensure that all of our guests are very comfortable and have all of their needs met while staying with us.
We hope to welcome you again in the future!
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The NYMA is a restored old NYC hotel. While the rooms are small, the renovation was done well. They are comfortable and good for a 1-2 night stay. The staff is excellant! The location, while a little too far from most tourist attractions, is not bad. If you like Korean food, this "K-town" place will make you very happy. The lobby is small. The elevators a little slow and the breakfast room less than is needed. The free wi-fi and baggage check are both plusses. All in all a more than adequate hostelry .

Room Tip: Get a room facing the alley. Those facing 32nd ST are pretty noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lanzarote, Spain
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Basic hotel with a fair Price in a very good location. poor breakfast in a crowded room but is free so if you are not happy you can go somewhere else.. The real con are the elevators, sometimes you have to spend 15 minutes waiting for them because when they stop in your floor they are packed....

The bathroom was not the cleanest I´ve seen...

But it was the cheapest hotel I could find so....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend went there the 27th April at 4:00pm and the front desk guy was so rude and nasty!! my girlfriend went to check in while i was having a cig outside the front desk guy was asking if she's single and she should go out with him for a drink and he also said if you want to go out i can give you discount for the night!!!! when i came in and i said get 2 keys baby he goes oh i didn't know you had a boyfriend !!! i looked at her and Omg she was shaking!! i mean what kind of ppl do you have
working in this please perverts!!! the room was nice except the sheets smelled pretty bad! won't stay there again even if it's FREE!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank LILOki1989
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel is not exactly the Ritz but in NY you don't get much for $250 per night. The hotel is well located & 5th Ave & Times Square close by & good access to the Subway.
I was solo & my room was not large but it was clean & had everything I needed.
The main negative is the lifts during the breakfast period - very crowded every day I was there. The breakfast room also a bit chaotic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo