“Unbelievably good value for Manhattan”

nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #329 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Despite the ratings I give this, I assure you that I am in no way connected to this hotel or the management. I am a young guy from the UK but felt compelled to write this due to my experience here.
I am currently writing this from my room in the hotel and have only 2 (minor) complaints since I arrived which I will get to.

First the positives:
1) I am out here on an extremely tight budget and have to say that what you get here, for the price you pay, is EXCEPTIONAL value for money. Especially for NY. I have booked in for 7 nights 5 of which I'm paying $109 + tax (about £60) and 2 at $119 + tax.

I flew in to NY from LA and spent MANY hours whilst in LA checking out room prices in Manhattan and this price, compared to what you get at this hotel, is exceptional I believe. - plasma tv in room, free wi-fi in room, complimentary continental breakfast (which I havent mnaged to wake up in time for yet-although it ends at 10.00am) and clean amd modern furnishings and comfy clean bed.

put it this way, before here I was in the Chelsea International Hostel which for $80 a night for a private room (only about $40 - £25 less per night) was absolutely gross. tiny box of a room which had nothing but an old rusty bunk bed and a small sink, no tv, no nothing - horrible smelly shared shower, wifi in a downstairs shared kitchen that rarely worked. So arriving here was a HUGE relief.

2) The location is great I think. 32nd street is right in the hub of things if like me you are a tourist. close to the 40's and 50's and central park one way and close to soho and greenwhich the other way, so the tube journeys are never that long and cab rides are cheap.

admittedly yes it is in the middle of Korea town and you are surrounded by Koreans outside the foyer and korean restaurants, but so what. Koreans are hardly threatening are they. It can be a tiny little bit noisy, even up here on the 11th floor, but where in such a good location isnt.

My only 2 minor negatives

1) the air conditioning in my room doesnt appear that strong, I had it on 'High' and it didnt seem to make the room all that much cooler, although to be fair I only had it on for about 1 hour before realising that I didnt really need it.

2) the lifts take blooming ages, as someone said before, especially if like me you up on the 11th floor,

These minor inconveniences seem a very small price to pay for all the positives, especially the value for money!

I may even book in for another week.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank JJDS71
applecorehotelsstaff, Apple Core Hotels at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2009

Dear JJDS71:
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience! We are happy that you finally found us and that we could make your stay more enjoyable! However, we sincerely apologize for the minor inconveniences you mentioned in your review. As you probably know, the noise from the street is unfortunately beyond our control. However, we have insulated our rooms above New York City standards to make sure this noise doesn’t disturb our guests.
As for the lifts, they are inspected on a regular basis and run according to New York law. We hope that you understand that we cannot control the speed of the elevators. We thank you again and hope to see you soon again!
Apple Core Hotels

There are newer reviews for nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel

Reviewed 6 June 2009

We have been visiting Manhattan and stayed for 5 nights in the Red Roof Inn. It was the second time in New York and also the second time in this hotel. The hotel is very good located to explore the city. The breakfast included in the price is good enough for the beginning of an exciting day in Big Apple. We have enough space in our room and we were satisfied of the cleanliness of the room. We will go again to the Red Roof Inn the next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TEDDYBelgium
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Stayed here after reviewing this web site and not disappointed. The Red Roof Inn is a really first rate hotel for the price and is ideally located for New York sightseeing. The experience: booked on line - no probs. Got there about 11am, way before normal check in, but a friendly welcoming reception allowed us to use the room straight away. The room itself was clean, tidy and what you would expect for the hotel rating - no frills but all the basics including internet access (both wifi, cable and via the TV (the latter would cost). Bath room was clean and with a good shower. Did not notice any noise from outside and slept well in comfortable beds.
Breakfast - not up to much but it's in the price (if you wanted something substantial, just around the corner opposite the Empire State Building was a great Italian diner).
Location – the hotel was a bout a 10min walk from Penn Street station (exit from the Madison Square Garden exit). It is also literally just around the corner from the Empire State Building. Also, don’t be put off by the fact it is in a street that is called ‘Korean Way’ – the Korean sector of New York. This was not a problem (why should it be?) and it made for an interesting walk to the hotel from the sub way.
The acid test - would I stay there again? Absolutely yes. Okay for children? Yes. Valuable for money? Probably yes given where it is. 5 stars for a good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Cantthinkofaname_9
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Great location, just 3 blocks from Penn Station, 1 block from Empire State and 10 minutes walk to Times Sq. Very clean, good size room, comfy bed, free wifi, basic breakfast also included in price. I don't know many hotels in NY, but on reading other reviews I think we were very lucky to get all this for 150 dollars a night.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GijonClarke
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights in May 2009 and had a great time. The location was great - just what we wanted in New York.

The hotel is clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were an ok size. We had heard that NYC hotel rooms were tiny but ours was ok - a room with 2 double beds. We really didn't spend any time in the hotel apart from to sleep at night.

My only complaint would be the noisy ice machine outside our room.

The free breakfast is basic with bagels, toast, cereal, coffee, yoghurt, juice, bananas and apples available but was great considering it was FREE. The breakfast room is small though.

We got a good price booking through the Applecore website. They also have a deal with a car parking garage a few doors down which was great - we just drove in and left the car till we were ready to go home.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ozwardies
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I have stayed in "Big City" hotels and have had the usual experiences, noise, poor customer service, lack luster "continental breakfasts", tiny rooms with even smaller bathrooms.

None of these things were a problem at the Red Roof Manhattan. No problems with reservations or check in, staff was polite and efficient. I asked for a non smoking room on an upper floor away from the street, and they delivered. Bed was comfortable and noise was minimal- although running the fan on the AC and being on the 16th floor helped.

For a "Big City " hotel I would consider the room spacious. Flat screen LCD TV, Microwave, college frig, FREE wifi. Overall the room was clean and bright.

I had a problem with the safe, after a call to the front desk- maintenance appeared within 15 mins. He attempted to reset the safe unsuccessfully. He returned shortly with his tools and the safe was repaired by the time I returned from dinner.

The complimentary breakfast was a little better than average. Donuts, bagels, yogurt, bananas, apples, coffee, tea, cereal, milk, juice etc.

On 32nd St. just west of 5th Ave. One block from the Empire State Bldg, only about 5 or 6 blocks from Macy's on 34th St, and Herald Square. Very close to several subway stops.

West 32nd St. is not a glamor spot, but a 2 block jaunt puts you where you want to be.

For a nice meal try Heartland Brewery on 5th Ave in the Empire State Bldg.

All in all a good experience, would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Papabear0276
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Situated in a great location.A fairly new hotel,well appointed,very comfortable beds.Reasonable size clean rooms.Slow elevators.Breakfast adequate but very crowded at times.Price very good for new york.I paid $150 plus taxes per night.Look out for the Red Hot deals on own sight ,prices change quite frequently.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joanslade
applecorehotelsstaff, Apple Core Hotels at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2009

Dear joanslade:

Thank you for your kind words! Our hotel was indeed recently renovated with brand new furniture and flat screen TVs. Our housekeepers clean the rooms and public areas on a daily basis and pay a close attention to cleanliness. We are sorry to hear that you found the elevators slow. Our elevators are inspected and run according to the City law. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon again!

With warm regards,