Despite the ratings I give this, I assure you that I am in no way connected to this hotel or the management. I am a young guy from the UK but felt compelled to write this due to my experience here.
I am currently writing this from my room in the hotel and have only 2 (minor) complaints since I arrived which I will get to.
First the positives:
1) I am out here on an extremely tight budget and have to say that what you get here, for the price you pay, is EXCEPTIONAL value for money. Especially for NY. I have booked in for 7 nights 5 of which I'm paying $109 + tax (about £60) and 2 at $119 + tax.
I flew in to NY from LA and spent MANY hours whilst in LA checking out room prices in Manhattan and this price, compared to what you get at this hotel, is exceptional I believe. - plasma tv in room, free wi-fi in room, complimentary continental breakfast (which I havent mnaged to wake up in time for yet-although it ends at 10.00am) and clean amd modern furnishings and comfy clean bed.
put it this way, before here I was in the Chelsea International Hostel which for $80 a night for a private room (only about $40 - £25 less per night) was absolutely gross. tiny box of a room which had nothing but an old rusty bunk bed and a small sink, no tv, no nothing - horrible smelly shared shower, wifi in a downstairs shared kitchen that rarely worked. So arriving here was a HUGE relief.
2) The location is great I think. 32nd street is right in the hub of things if like me you are a tourist. close to the 40's and 50's and central park one way and close to soho and greenwhich the other way, so the tube journeys are never that long and cab rides are cheap.
admittedly yes it is in the middle of Korea town and you are surrounded by Koreans outside the foyer and korean restaurants, but so what. Koreans are hardly threatening are they. It can be a tiny little bit noisy, even up here on the 11th floor, but where in such a good location isnt.
My only 2 minor negatives
1) the air conditioning in my room doesnt appear that strong, I had it on 'High' and it didnt seem to make the room all that much cooler, although to be fair I only had it on for about 1 hour before realising that I didnt really need it.
2) the lifts take blooming ages, as someone said before, especially if like me you up on the 11th floor,
These minor inconveniences seem a very small price to pay for all the positives, especially the value for money!
I may even book in for another week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- nyma is one of New York City's newest boutique hotels. Located in a vibrant neighborhood on 32nd Street between Fifth Avenue and Broadway, nyma is just steps away from the Empire State Building, Macy's, the Fashion District, Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. The Jacob K. Javits Convention Center is also close by. Our large, brightly-lit lobby offers Wifi, a 24-hour business center with two iMacs, and full concierge services to help guests arrange for all types of sightseeing and leisure activities, and car services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Agoda, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manhattan Red Roof Inn
- Red Roof Inn Manhattan
- Red Roof Inn New York City
- New York City Red Roof Inn