“Not up to Par”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #35 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed at hotel ver New Years for. Five night stay, had to call each night for turned down service. New Years Day room not made up until 6:00 pm. Rooms are nice and newly decorated, location is great, but not for a $1000 a night

Room Tip: Choose the side facing the park much better view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,588)

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Facing Central Park south, it's on great location in NYC. However if I were not in business trip, I may not stay here. First of all, the room is nothing special. Most of the staff are very good in service. But one of the evening when I was leaving the hotel for dinner, I saw a bell staff holding an umbrella entering the lobby. So I asked him if that was raining outside. He answered me yes and kept walking without offering me his umbrella. Then I asked him if I could borrow his umbrella, he asked me to ask someone else and kept walking. I was totally shocked. Isn't it Ritz Carlton? Does he know how much we are paying for that? I really won't pay USD800 per night to get such service.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I travelled to the Ritz-Carlton for 4 nights to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday. After writing to the hotel in advance, she was thrilled when, on arrival, the reception staff wished her a Happy Birthday, as well as, upon entering our Park View room there was a birthday cake with a personalised hand written note.

The Room:
We were in Park View Room 908 with spectacular views over Central Park. The room was immaculate with all amenities anyone could wish for. The in room dining experience was a delight with prompt service and delicious food.

The Restaurant:
Although we felt the breakfast was a little expensive, again the food was lovely with plenty of choice and excellent service. We only ate in the restaurant for dinner once; however, the food was delicious with excellent service from the friendly staff.

Location:
FANTASTIC location. The hotel is set on Central Park South which is just a short walk/cab ride away from 5th Avenue/Broadway. Opposite the hotel was the Horse and Carriage pick up point which is a must to see Central Park. Either a short walk away, or a cab ride away there is Columbus Circle where there is a variety of shops and restaurants. I can thoroughly recommend taking a trip to A Voce restaurant which was recommended to us by a lady on Concierge.

Must do:
We crammed as much into our trip as we possibly could. We went ice skating at the Rockefeller Center and in Central Park. If you go early enough in the year, I would recommend the first skate of the day at Rockefeller. We took a trip to the 9/11 memorial and although we had not pre-booked a visitor pass before we went to NY, the concierge team were on hand to book this for us. Our trip to Statue of Liberty was an experience to say the least. We had pre-booked tickets to ‘climb’ to the crown. Very naively we assumed there would be a lift, how wrong we were. Instead we had to climb up the tightest of staircases I have ever been on which are definitely not suitable for those who suffer from claustrophobia or are perhaps a little larger. We had pre booked tickets to go to the top of the Empire State Building. With these Express tickets we were able to skip the long queues and head straight to floor 102. A visit to New York isn’t complete without a trip to Broadway to see a show; we saw Wicked at the Gershwin theatre, it was brilliant!

The Staff:
The staff made our trip for us; they were so friendly and could not do enough for us. A special thank you to Yoneidy Carreno in Guest Relations for organising the cake as well as the staff on the Concierge desk and on the door who were very so helpful and very friendly.

Overall, I cannot fault the Ritz-Carlton at all. With the fantastic staff, location and beautiful hotel this is the perfect place to stay in New York.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank holiday_lover_9559
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Let's acknowledge upfront that this is an expensive, luxury hotel. If you are looking for a "deal," then you should probably stop reading my review. This is one of the top hotels in NYC, and that fact was apparent very moment of our stay.

I am a New York resident and booked a night through AMEX platinum travel to celebrate a special birthday with my wife. When I mentioned this at check-in (I was asked!), we were upgraded two levels to an amazing park view deluxe room, and sent a very nice note and bowl of chocolate covered strawberries to celebrate the occasion. Very nice touch.

The facilities and service are top notch. Our room was spacious, well-decorated, and comfortable. The view of Central Park was incredible. The bar is classic and the cocktails are delicious. The service at Auden was fantastic even if breakfast is way overpriced unless it is included in your rate.

Spa services are also top notch. My one complaint is that the men's relaxation room is really not much of room, and not that relaxing. Certainly not compared to the female equivalent.

Location cannot be beat. You are right on CPS and equidistant between 5th Avenue and the Time Warner Center. You can create a great walking itinerary for yourself in the park, to a restaurant or shopping.

All in all, a memorable experience. I'm glad I splurged, I would do it again, and most importantly - my wife loved it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYFFlyer
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Last December, my wife and spent four lovely nights in a great room overlooking Central Park. The rooms were wonderful, and the service was absolutely outstanding. This is certainly one of the top hotels in New York City.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Such a disappointment as a client and a runner. The service was shameful the weekend of the NYC marathon and they gave no little tokens of recognition to any of the runners that were staying at the hotel. As a hotel that is known for their impeccable personalized service I expected a little note of "good luck" or "congratulations". Not only did we get ZERO personalized acknowledgment for this legendary race, the service was awful. Cold food, slow service and not so much as a high five. I'll run again but I'll stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BM M
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I recently stayed 3 nights for a business trip in early December. While certainly a top hotel in town with a great location, considering the room price, I can only give an average rating. Nothing about the hotel seemed exceptional, other than perhaps the bathroom facilities in our room. The room itself was small, comfortable and well appointed, but with minimal closet space. I would rate the condition of the room as above average. The bathroom seemed more recently updated than the room itself and was quite nice. Service was fine, but again not any better than many of the midtown hotels I have stayed in. All in all a very nice hotel at the south end of Central Park, but next time I will save a few bucks and walk a couple extra blocks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business