“Romantic Central Park”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #34 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had the enjoyment of staying a Ritz Carlton Central Park last Christmas. The location and service were supreme. Property encompasses old and new... Be mindful, like most RC properties, it is not for the budget traveler, but well worth the expense!

Room Tip: High floor facing Central Park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Enjoyed staying at the ritz. Doormen was awesome check in staff great lobby breathless. When I arrived to my room on the 27 floor gorgeous smelled good the housekeeper was amazing down to earth and kept good conversation room was always refreshed and kept up with bottles of water can't wait to come back to ritz and stay on 27 floor with the amazing housekeeper a++++

Room Tip: Stay on 27 floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz Carlton Central Park when I first moved to New York City a couple of years ago. I will say it was emergency accommodation's, since I had not finalized my living arrangements upon arriving in the big apple. When I arrived I was immediately greeted with a smile from the resident doorman, my bags were quickly taken care of, and I was whisked off to the hotels front desk for check in. The front desk staff were quick, helpful, kind, and the service was always done with a smile.

I have stayed at other Ritz Carlton properties over the years in Dallas, South Beach (Miami), and all four of the Ritz Carlton hotels in Virginia and Washington D.C. so once I gave my last name to the receptionist I was automatically given a room up grade to a higher floor room, with a view of Central Park. I was taken by a female receptionist to my room where she showed me everything I needed to know. The room was well stocked, clean, and spacious, room service which I always take advantage of was efficient and fast, the food was hot, and fresh on the occasions I ordered (breakfast and dinner). The location is great, right across from Central Park, around the corner from Fifth Avenue (Bergdorfs, LV, Tiffany & Co, Chanel, Saks, and more).

The bed was comfortable, and I slept well (didn't want to get up), my room was cleaned, and maintained and nothing was to much trouble for housekeeping. I will say this about the Ritz Carlton Central Park, if you have stayed before with the Ritz Carlton group that is a +, if you tip that will go along way to getting consistent attention, and reliable service, and if you look like you have money it doesn't hurt you, it helps ! also my room was quiet so ask for a room on a high floor, and spend the extra to get a room with a decent view, unless of course you have stayed at other Ritz Carlton locations previously then they will probably ungrade you like they did for me.

Would I stay at the Ritz Carlton Central Park again, yes ! my new home away from home...

Room Tip: High floor room will guarantee a better view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank corbby
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited the cocktail bar yesterday and had some truly fabulous cocktails. The service by Eric was excellent, and he has a really pleasant manner. He made some good restaurant recommendations. When Eric went off duty, there was another bar person ( older man) Morgan(?) who was entertaining and clearly very well travelled.

I would highly recommend a trip to the cocktail bar at the Ritz.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This property opened early last decade and it is still going strong.

It once had the best hotel restaurant in the city run by Gabriel Kruthier, but he left around 2005 for Modern. Since then it's changed hands a number of times.

Nearly everything else at the Ritz has stayed the same and Im glad it has. The lobby still has amazing artwork, the bar is still manned by Norman, the Club Level still delivers great service, and the rooms are still plush. I truly hope they do not think about giving anything about this property a large make-over. Just keep putting polish on the gem.

Sure, I miss some things like Fekkai amenities and caviar in the Club (actually the latter is a big issue)...but on my varied stays at NYC 5-stars, the Ritz is still my favorite. Highly recommended; even in the entry level rooms...which have no view, but communicate a quietness that is rare in NYC.

Room Tip: The premiums for views are logical, because there can be large differences among the choices...but t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We visited New York at the beginning of April this year and the Ritz Carlton made our visit! The location is superb, the staff are welcoming and extremely helpful - especially Al at the door and Maria the concierge, the beds are super comfy and the decor is very grand. As a young couple we wanted to be in a good location where we could experience the whole atmosphere of the City that never sleeps, the Ritz Carlton is situated in a perfect place right by the park with breathtaking views, not too far of a walk from all the shopping locations and a short cab ride from most of the main 'attractions' as a tourist. There is an amazing restaurant which has opened next door called 'villagio' I would defiantly recommend a visit there and so would the doormen!!... Nothing seemed like too much of an effort for any of the staff they was all very attentive. The only one thing I would say is on our last day we had a late night flight, so we was asked to leave our room for 11am and had to wait around until 6pm to be picked up, they was happy to look after our suitcases but other than that there was no late checkout option etc.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Hannah-Louise S
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a world-class hotel. From the golden elevator doors to the large rooms (of course relative to other New York City hotels) to the beautiful lobby with immaculately-shined marble floors, everything oozes luxury and class. The location is ideal, right across from Central Park and pretty close to most things - easy enough to access Subway right around corner, centrally located if you're taking a cab. The room was large, with an almost-wasteful entryway, a wonderful bed, a chair (but no footrest), and a gorgeously large and opulent bathroom. In terms of physical facilities, the hotel and rooms are beyond reproach.

Unfortunately, along with that comes quite a bit of stuffiness and pretension. If you’re a younger traveler, or don’t enjoy dressing in couture, you might get strange/unfriendly looks from other guests and even some staff. Both happened to me more than once during a one-night stay. Further, service seems to be relative to expected wealth; my requests of the concierge were sometimes honored, and sometimes more or less blown off (I asked where I could find bath bubbles for the bathtub and was directed to the salts already in the room, which, I know, is totally minor, but nevertheless not service going "above and beyond" in any way).

The exception was the bartender, who was very friendly, but the wait staff in the lounge area were not very knowledgeable about their drinks, and, again, seemed to attend to certain clients more than others. Wi-fi was not free, which is shameful in 2014, but did work as advertised. There was somebody (security? butler?) walking around my floor occasionally who never introduced himself and made me feel less rather than more comfortable, but that could have been due to a specific guest I imagine.

If money is no object, go for it. You certainly won't be disappointed in anything about this hotel. But if you're somebody of average means looking for a special occasion, as I was, you might find yourself better served somewhere more welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo