“Faultless and much improved”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #35 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed here again for 4 nights in a Club level Park View room - we were upgraded from a city view room, which was great. Perhaps it was due to the recession that the hotel was noticeably empty, which worked in our favour and meant that every need was attended to very quickly. The hotel also seemed much less frenetic and friendly. The food in the Club Level is superb and plentiful and it meant that our family ate there for every meal, which actually saves money in the long run. They have made the club lounge concierges redundant which does mean that the club is mostly managed by the on duty waiters which can be a bit annoying but all in all would never stay anywhere else in NY!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 August 2009

I stayed here with my sister for her 50th birthday. The staff were wonderful, the room was beautiful, although we had no view, and the location was just perfect. There was no restaurant when we were there, although they did have room service. Everyone from the doorman to the bartender were outstanding, friendly and ridiculously helpful. I would make this my "staying in New York" hotel if it wasn't just quite so expensive.

• Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I treated my mother to a quick one-night stay at the Ritz Carlton Central Park in April 2009. Having previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park, I was confident that the Central Park Ritz property would meet both my high expectations and discriminating taste.

I was apprehensive about having to book an interior-view room (this is the only room type that supplies double beds by request), but we spent so little time in the room that the view (or lack thereof) was a nonissue.

The hotel embodies a refined, tasteful combination of luxury and unpretentious elegance. It was readily apparent that everything from the silk upholstered walls and lush linens, to the lavish bath and Frédéric Fekkai amenities had been carefully chosen with the comfort and contentment of the guest as the hotel’s utmost priority.

Service was also impeccable. My mother and I were greeted courteously (and, of course, by name) by every staff member we encountered throughout our stay and most staff members were kind enough to remember my birthday. In fact, upon returning to our room from the Gershwin Theatre, my mother and I were pleased to find the beds turned down, soft, tasteful music playing in our room, and a lovely plate of chocolate-covered strawberries accompanied by a birthday greeting from the General Manager.

We were fortunate to enjoy a nearly flawless stay and are eager to return.

A few tips:

For breakfast or brunch, venture outside the hotel to Sarabeth’s (two doors down from the hotel). The food is exquisite and the location can’t be beat!

Try the Cupcake Tea in the Star Lounge. For a mere $30 per person, you can sample 6 miniature cupcakes and a nice cup of tea. It may sound a bit pricy, but the experience is well worth it.

Don’t forget to have at least $100.00 in small bills (fives, tens, and twenties) available for tipping on the first and last day of your stay (for valet, doorman, bellman, concierge, housekeeping, etc) and approximately $50 per day available for tipping throughout the rest of your stay (for concierge, doorman, room service, housekeeping, etc.).

• Stayed: April 2009
3  Thank kagemm
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Excellent location. Excellent staff members who remember your name each time you enter or exit the hotel. The presentation in Club lounge meets and exceeds all other hotels. Cannot say enough good things about this recent stay...That is why the Ritz is the Ritz.. You get what you pay for.....Will return again and again

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank sasmi_7
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I spent a week here with my 5 & 7 year old and had a blast. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous but not exactly the most kid-friendly Ritz we've been to. The lobby is very sophisticated and the crowd is elegantly dressed/power NY. I wasn't very comfortable hanging out there with my kids in the late afternoons between sightseeing and dinner.

However, with that said, the hotel really went out of their way to take extra special care of them. When we arrived, the kids received stuffed horses and there were cookies left in our room that evening. Also, after we attended Mary Poppins on Broadway, we returned to our room to find the soundtrack playing for us as a complimentary keepsake.

The hotel room was extremely spacious, and absolutely gorgeous. The in-room amenities were top-notch. The service was impeccable. The food was delicious but extremely expensive (but of course, it's the Ritz, Central Park). The doormen were fabulous. We had a blast there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Fivez
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Amazing Stay and an even amazing service. I went to SFO and on my return, I was supposed to be in NYC only for some time. THey offered me a complimentary usage of Toilet and I refreshed myself, without any charge for the day. Service and Rooms are very good.

The proximity to the important locations is also very close and if you go for a morning walks, they take special care for you while you are heading out or coming back - Provide you water, fruit etc.

A real home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SBawa
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Over the years, I have stayed in many of New York's most expensive hotels. While there are many exceptionally strong hotels, the Ritz Central Park South, continues to be my favorite. First off, the location is supurb, nice walks to the park, shopping and transportation. The hotel itself is very elegant as it is romantic (unless I am alone for work). The lobby bar area is one of my favorites as is the food at this ritz. Rooms and service and top notch. Even the cheap rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple